Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

City break but where?

(50 Posts)
MarmaladeShatkins Wed 19-Feb-14 11:11:22

DH is, erm, vairy old in a few months. I would like us to go on a European city break, as Mother Shatkins has offered to look after bubba Shatkins. Hurrah!

We've been to Barcelone, Rome, Milan, Paris... the obvious ones. I'd like to maybe try Berlin or Vienna or somewhere else in that region of Europe <gestures vaguely to that area of Europe>

Does anyone have any suggestions, please? I have a budget of about £450-500 for three nights, not including spending money.

flowers

AnneEyhtMeyer Wed 19-Feb-14 11:28:26

My favourite city break was in Helsinki. Simply stunning.

Prague?
Budapest?

SooticaTheWitchesCat Wed 19-Feb-14 11:30:23

My favourite city is Istanbul.

bakingtins Wed 19-Feb-14 11:31:08

Prague or Amsterdam.

scootica have you been helping me on my istanbul thread?

MarmaladeShatkins Wed 19-Feb-14 11:33:27

<makes notes>

I really fancy Istanbul but fear it may be too far away for a three night break?

Prague and Budapest are also on my browse list! Not thought of Helsinki...

treaclesoda Wed 19-Feb-14 11:35:54

Copenhagan is very good, although I'm not sure if it would fall within budget.

Budapest is great, and to the amazement of everyone I tell, I also love Brussels, it's great for food, easy to travel to, and there are plenty of beautiful old buildings etc.

Llareggub Wed 19-Feb-14 11:36:27

I went to Bucharest last year and loved it. I stayed in a ridiculously cheap 4 star hotel with a pretty balcony. I think £100 for 3 nights B&B. The breakfast was huge!

It was tricky to get there via Frankfurt but we booked quickly. I'm sure direct flights exist. There's loads to see there and it is cheap. We were paying approximately 20p for a beer.

There's lots to see in the city. We enjoyed wandering around looking at the buildings and graffiti. Lots of stray dogs though, so if that bothers you stay away.

I'd go back to Romania in a flash. It's very different from Western Europe.

Leeds2 Wed 19-Feb-14 11:41:16

Stockholm. Don't know how much it costs though.

Ubik1 Wed 19-Feb-14 11:43:08

I'm looking at Reykjavik

And Copenhagen - actually really fancy Copenhagen, there's loads to do.

We went to Amsterdam in January and really enjoyed that, too. The Danes seems to make everything very easy.

Krakow. Biggest town square in Europe- very pretty with lots of restaurants round the edge. I went for my 40th. Cheap to eat out as it's not in the euro. You can visit Auschwitz and Schindler's factory if you're into history, or visit the salt mines (more interesting than it sounds!)

SooticaTheWitchesCat Wed 19-Feb-14 11:45:44

Yes, that's me Never smile

Uptheanty Wed 19-Feb-14 11:46:41

Berlin has lots to do & is surprisingly cheap.

Amsterdam is lots if fun!

HopALongOn Wed 19-Feb-14 11:50:59

I've heard Berlin is amazing, we mighty try and go next year.

We're off to Reykjavik later this year, but it is very spendy, flights are expensive too.

Aliama Wed 19-Feb-14 11:51:16

Cologne, perhaps? I'd also second Krakow, and the salt mines are wonderful. Not sure you'd have time to do them on a 3 day break though.

HyvaPaiva Wed 19-Feb-14 11:51:57

Helsinki for sure!

wigglybeezer Wed 19-Feb-14 11:53:59

I went to berlin twice last year! Once to a conference with DH and liked it so much that we went back inOctober with the kids. Great parks and museums! quirky neighbourhood shops and cafés and eating out and transport much better value than London or Paris.

I would go once a month if I could afford it! I felt really at home there!

Nancy66 Wed 19-Feb-14 11:57:49

Lisbon is lovely.

If you're foodies then I'd rule out a lot of eastern Europe destinations

Persuasion Wed 19-Feb-14 11:58:12

Madrid is a lovely city and often overlooked. Prague is also great.

MarmaladeShatkins Wed 19-Feb-14 11:59:10

Stockholm and Copenhagen were both on my list but too pricey sad

I think Berlin is looking increasingly likely!

MarmaladeShatkins Wed 19-Feb-14 12:01:29

We're not foodies as such i.e won't be put out if we're not dining a la carte each night, but DH is a vegetarian so was wondering if Germany would be the best option? I'm assuming that a big city like Berlin will do lentil yoghurt or similar though. wink

IdRatherPlayHereWithAllTheMadM Wed 19-Feb-14 12:02:51

Not been to Istanbul but I would say there or Marrackech

TheSmallPrint Wed 19-Feb-14 12:04:04

Valencia or Seville?

IdRatherPlayHereWithAllTheMadM Wed 19-Feb-14 12:04:12

Marrackech is four hours,not too long and airport close to city center.most riads collect you from airport.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now