Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Am I being a feckless mum this half-term?

(134 Posts)
HerGraciousMajTheBeardedPotato Wed 19-Feb-14 10:29:48

Or should I get up off my lazy posterior and go out and fill my dcs' days with activity and entertainment?

We have plans every day, but TBH we end up not doing them because the dc are happily mucking about together, doing absolutely nothing constructive, while I slob about having a lazy lie-in (I'm still in bedshockgrin).

Impatientismymiddlename Wed 19-Feb-14 10:31:33

Are you supposed to do stuff at half term? shock

DarlingGrace Wed 19-Feb-14 10:32:54

Totally. How you can live with yourself is beyond me. Criminal. I hope you feel suitably baaaaaad! grin

I call them 'imaginative play days' - cushions, table cloth, make tent/pirate ship what ever .....

millefleur Wed 19-Feb-14 10:32:57

Ha! How old are your sc? I'm still in bed too! Thinking i should get up and feed them...

HerGraciousMajTheBeardedPotato Wed 19-Feb-14 10:35:03

I'm soooo tempted to break the house rule of no food upstairs and introduce them to the concept of Bringing Mummy Brunch Breakfast In Bed.

LooksGoodWrappedUp Wed 19-Feb-14 10:40:11

I envy your lie in.

I'm luckily working this half term but even when I'm off the kids from the estate come knocking on about this time so no slobbing about then either sad

OneToThree Wed 19-Feb-14 10:53:51

I'm the opposite. I'd rather be out than in. But yes do whatever you fancy doing if the dc are happy.

BlackeyedSusan Wed 19-Feb-14 11:26:25

sometimes I have given the children the option of going out or staying in and they choose to play inside. ds is getting his computer fix this holiday.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Wed 19-Feb-14 11:29:09

We haven't done anything much this half term, they have been happy playing together and I have been reading on the sofa quite a bit smile

DD1 is at a friends today so I will do something with DD2 but I think it's fine just to have a lazy half term.

PlumpPartridge Wed 19-Feb-14 11:30:58

I automatically like anyone who calls themselves feckless grin

Nope, I'm jealous, I'd do that if I could!

FolkGirl Wed 19-Feb-14 11:32:14

I managed to turn assembling flatpack furniture into an 'activity' that my 7 year old daughter named 'Family Furniture Fun Time'.

She made her own scrambled eggs and toast for breakfast this morning because I am so kind (I supervised)

I let her put a load of washing on (I am that cool).

I paid her £1 for clearing out/cleaning the inside of the car (she was overjoyed)

We went out for Chinese for lunch yesterday (because I couldn't be bothered to cook)

I promised her a trip to the play area this afternoon, but it looks like rain...

HerGraciousMajTheBeardedPotato Wed 19-Feb-14 11:42:56

I just asked my 7yo what he had for breakfast.

"I found some stale bread"

And he drank water.

Believe it or not, that is a treat! He loves stale bread and I left the heel of yesterday's loaf out overnight for him.

happybubblebrain Wed 19-Feb-14 11:50:53

I'm stuck at work for the half term and dreaming of being feckless at home with dd.

Maybe if do as little as possible at work I can still pretend I'm being feckless.

And dd did eat dry Toffee Crisp cereal for breakfast so I'm half way there.

Rowgtfc72 Wed 19-Feb-14 12:21:41

I always plan stuff as dd is a bit on the active side shall we say. This morning for the first time ever she has requested she sits on the sofa and watches films, yay !!

MymbleBaratheonBendsTheKnee Wed 19-Feb-14 12:28:45

We haven't really done much despite the best of intentions. Yesterday we went for a walk, as temporarily it wasn't raining, bought some sweets and watched a train go through the station. Today DH took them up to the park for an hour (handily behind our house). TBH they have seemed quite happy just getting up a bit later and playing at home. I do feel like we should be doing at least one 'improving' activity though!

Ifcatshadthumbs Wed 19-Feb-14 12:31:14

<eyes to children still in onsies &continues to simultaneously mn and facebook>

Ifcatshadthumbs Wed 19-Feb-14 12:32:05

Actually to fair they have friends here too. I prefer to let the entertainment come to us.

HoneyDragon Wed 19-Feb-14 12:40:46

Today is the first day we have been clean and dressed before 1pm.

We're going <<winces>> swimming sad

Ifcatshadthumbs Wed 19-Feb-14 12:43:15

Oh god I keep pushing back swimming in spite of all my promises to DH that the extortionate gym price would pay for itself in the holidays because I can take the ds's swimming everyday.

missingmumxox Wed 19-Feb-14 13:19:08

Oh thank god! I thought I was the only one, it has been my dirty secret, in fact I am feeling all superior and judgy as I was up before most of you lazy look (won't mention yesterday when we where all still snuggled up together until near 12)

HerGraciousMajTheBeardedPotato Thu 20-Feb-14 09:35:18

Right. We are going out this morning. I am getting up now.

HerGraciousMajTheBeardedPotato Thu 20-Feb-14 09:36:12

After I check Active Convos.

If you are feckless I am feckless too. If they're happy pottering about inside I let them get on with it, save the going out for when it all gets a bit cabin fevery.

I love Family Furniture Fun Time! Wonder if I could persuade my DCs to do Kitchen Cupboard Cleaning Creative Time... Or Holiday Hoovering Happy Time.

FiveExclamations Thu 20-Feb-14 09:47:14

As soon as this new life down under type programme is finished I'm crowbaring the DS out of my DD's hand and taking the dog for a walk to the shop for sweets and chocolate.

Dwerf Thu 20-Feb-14 09:51:23

We probably won't be doing much due to money (or the lack of it rather), but I'm probably more feckless because I am foisting my younger two off on their elder sister for a sleepover so i can have a midweek day/night off. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now