Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Would you let your 16yr old DD travel on the bus overnight?

(127 Posts)
Changebagsandgladrags Tue 18-Feb-14 22:21:47

Bus leaving London Victoria 23.30 and arriving Manchester at 5.40. For a university interview at 9am?

It's not a real situation, or rather, it was real in 1992.

Just interested what your mother would have done and what you would do now.

CeliaFate Tue 18-Feb-14 22:25:17

Not a chance! I'm sure plenty would and it would be fine, but I wouldn't. I'd rather drive her up the day before and stay over. If she was with a friend, then maybe but I still wouldn't be comfortable with it.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 18-Feb-14 22:28:21

My mum let me at the age of 13yo travel overnight from London to Lyon, France on my own.

I would let a 16yo go over night from London to Manchester yes.

Changebagsandgladrags Tue 18-Feb-14 22:28:32

Oh no, she'd be on her own. First visit to Manchester.

No available drivers in the house.

Lottiedoubtie Tue 18-Feb-14 22:29:55

No because I don't believe she would have been fit for interview the next day after night on a coach.

Ideally I'd take her the day before. If that not possible train the day before and premier inn type place with a friend overnight.

That said, my DH travelled from his home country to the same city and stayed over for two nights on his own for his university interview aged 16 only a few years after 1992. But I am quite shock about that. He then moved there alone to start his course at the grand old age of 17 and 2 months.

Changebagsandgladrags Tue 18-Feb-14 22:36:54

Just realised I was 17. I was 16 when I did the similar trip to Liverpool for the open day.

Anyway, Mum and dad were perfectly fine with the idea. And in the end I did Glasgow on another trip.

The only problem was killing the hours in between nearly 6am and 9am with no money (all my spending money was for records). I sat on a bench in Manchester Piccadilly with a frozen bum for hours. It was something stupid like February.

But there is not a chance in hell I'd let my DC do the same.

phoolani Tue 18-Feb-14 22:39:56

I'd drive dd I'm sure. But my mum abandoned me in London (we lived in Manchester) on a weekend trip when I was 8 because, apparently, I'd annoyed her. So, I'm pretty sure mother would've been fine with it. But then she kicked me out at 15 so she wouldn't have known anyway!

defineme Tue 18-Feb-14 22:46:52

My Mum would have sent me merrily on my way. She didn't believe in ferrying kids about beyond the age of about 11. Parents had busy jobs and big hobbies. I used to travel by coach for 5 hours to see a pen friend when I was 12.
Consequently I am very good about travelling-can't think of a journey that would phase me.
However, I did sometimes wonder if someone should give more of a stuff!

velvetspoon Tue 18-Feb-14 22:52:46

My parents absolutely wouldn't have let me. My dad drove me to all my uni interviews (Cambridge, Birmingham and Reading).

If he hadn't been able to take me, my mum would have gone up on the train with me the night before.

If the DSs apply to university, either their dad will drive them (I don't drive), or I'll take them by train.

sooperdooper Tue 18-Feb-14 22:55:55

I can't see how anyone would be in any state to do an interview after being on a coach all night so no, I think it's a daft idea

NotBrittaPieHonest Tue 18-Feb-14 22:59:19

Yep, I travelled to London from Preston by myself on the bus to meet a boy I'd met on the internet and go to a couple of gigs with him (and meet up with another boy while I was there hmm ) in my GCSE study leave. This was in 2001.

Taz1212 Tue 18-Feb-14 23:02:49

When I was 17 I interviewed at Bryn Mawr (in Pennsylvania) then took a local train to Philly, bought a ticket for the overnight to Boston, got to Boston around 4:00AM, hung around South Station for a couple of hours until my father could collect me, then went to school that morning. grin I thought it was a great adventure but was pretty tired that day at school so probably wouldn't have wanted my DD to do it before an important interview!

DD1, I might, she's done London on the coach before. She swears she can do the underground (although they did have cruisers with them).

Well rehearsed, I'm sure she'd be fine.

It's wether she'd get any sleep, or have to find somewhere safe 6-8am, that would bother me.

I was brought up in the country and DDad left me in the edge of London to navigate suburban trains and the underground to Queen Mary's in the East end.

He only took me that far because he was a rep. (he found a suitable company to visit) and our London trains took all day.

Guiders

Changebagsandgladrags Tue 18-Feb-14 23:04:42

I was fine in the interview, they were impressed at the hour I'd set out to get there.

My dad worked shifts, my mum had my younger brother to look after, and she didn't drive.

millefleur Tue 18-Feb-14 23:05:10

I left home at 16, so i find the idea of a parent stopping a 16 year old doing anything strange

millefleur Tue 18-Feb-14 23:09:23

Would it not be embarrassing arriving for a university interview, chaperoned by parents?

Changebagsandgladrags Tue 18-Feb-14 23:15:04

I'm guessing said parents would not attend the actual interview.

NotBrittaPieHonest Tue 18-Feb-14 23:15:16

I was gonna say, I thought they mark you down for having helicopter parents?

MirandaWest Tue 18-Feb-14 23:20:06

I think now a lot more parents take their DC to university visits. When I had them I was bought a train ticket and went - travelling was one of my favourite parts. Although no interviews early enough to have need to have travelled overnight.

Pretty sure no one would get marked down for having patents with them though - think there are special parents tours.

velvetspoon Tue 18-Feb-14 23:23:14

How would they know your parent(s) had brought you though? Iirc (it's a long time ago!) My dad dropped me off in the car park/street outside, I went in to the university buildings on my own, while he went for a wander/pub lunch and met me back at the front entrance later.

SuckItAndSee Tue 18-Feb-14 23:23:20

i travelled overnight on a coach to Germany at that age
also attended all my university interviews at 17 by train, including the odd overnight stay, but always stayed in University Halls the night before.

For Oxford interviews we had to stay 2 nights, for various interviews in odd slots over 3 days. I'm not sure they would have been happy to put parents up for 3 nights as well...

Doyouthinktheysaurus Tue 18-Feb-14 23:24:16

I wouldn't want my dses to do it, I would rather drive them because I can but I don't regard it as something a mature 16 or 17 year old shouldn't do.

shouldnthavesaid Tue 18-Feb-14 23:26:49

Travelled from Aberdeen to my aunts in Newcastle at age 15 alone on the train, had never travelled further than my gran's ten minutes away without adult supervision! I loved it, so much that I ended up doing it regularly.

owlbegoing Tue 18-Feb-14 23:27:34

OP you could be me. I did that myself in 92. I remember freezing sitting in Piccadilly station waiting for it to be 9 so I could leave to go to the university. That is the only thing I remember about it other than a man being mugged on the connecting coach into Victoria from Kent! shock There's no way in hell I'd let my DD do the trip on her own if the time comes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now