Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Just had dinner with a bunch of Etonians

(183 Posts)
Chippingnortonset123 Tue 18-Feb-14 21:43:51

Aged from 16-89.
So I aimed to ask some questions about educational policies.
I sat myself at the bottom of the table in order to talk to the current ones and the recent ones.
They were definitely mocking people on benefits.
The table rocked with laughter and I made a point of not joining in.

Chippingnortonset123 Tue 18-Feb-14 21:49:10

The younger ones were absolutely charming, and willing, when prompted, to involve the 88 year old in conversation.

Doesn't say much for Eton, except that they have good ( ish ) manners.

Certainly doesn't bode well for he outcomes.

Very small sample, I know.

southeastastra Tue 18-Feb-14 21:50:11

aren't they all taught to be oily sucker upers? sounds like they let the side down

VoyageDeVerity Tue 18-Feb-14 21:51:05

Lucky you - not

Not surprising

Chippingnortonset123 Tue 18-Feb-14 21:51:06

They Sre ending up in Edingborough, Exeter and (gasp) Oxford Brooks.

Suddengeekgirl Tue 18-Feb-14 21:52:02

I read the thread title as Estonians! blush

Longdistance Tue 18-Feb-14 21:52:16

I would have said 'not everyone is privileged enough to be born with a spoon in their mouths', and watch the tumble weed roll by in deathly silence.

WildThong Tue 18-Feb-14 21:53:08

Nice, go for dinner then on to an Internet forum to slag them off hmm
Seems they have good manners though.

ancientbuchanan Tue 18-Feb-14 21:58:49

Why not those universities? Oxford Brookes is outstanding in some subjects and pretty good over all. There is no automaticity any more of eton oxbridge, and your dinner party underlines that.

Repellent to laugh at people on benefits. But Sign in young people of immaturity as well as thoughtlessness, though.

RutaSkadi Tue 18-Feb-14 21:58:56

To be honest, I think many social groups middle class and upwards probably mock people on benefits.

Chippingnortonset123 Tue 18-Feb-14 21:59:40

Wild, I went because I fancied supper.
Long, I nearly said that.
They were charming. But no way near as intelligent as state schoolchildren that I know. I introduced several topics of conversation geared towards their alledged interests and drew a blank.

Chippingnortonset123 Tue 18-Feb-14 22:02:20

It wasn't the young people laughing at benefits. I was at the bottom end of the table. That conversation came from the top end; a hedge fund manager and a (gasp) therapist.

MadBusLady Tue 18-Feb-14 22:05:30

What do you mean by alleged interests? Interests that they proclaimed themselves to have, or interests that you think Etonians are supposed to have?

NigellasDealer Tue 18-Feb-14 22:07:49

well I have met one or two Ols Etonians and they were charming and urbane - FWIW -
knocking people on benefits is 'in' these days across all sections of society isn't it?

NigellasDealer Tue 18-Feb-14 22:07:59

*Old

Slipshodsibyl Tue 18-Feb-14 22:08:19

Can the school be to blame for a possibly offensive snippet of conversation held by two adults who have long since left?

I am impressed that you can judge differences in intelligence between 'state schooled'children and public schoolboys over dinner so acutely.

Chippingnortonset123 Tue 18-Feb-14 22:08:36

I agree that Oxford Brooks is highly rated and that my (not dinner) party provides anecdotal evidence that Eton does not lead to Oxbridge.
I am not looking for a fight.
I just asked questions without being rude, given that I was outnumbered and had to have someone to explain four off to me. Whatever that is and don't bother learning it because you don't even have to be good at rowing to do it.

Chippingnortonset123 Tue 18-Feb-14 22:09:56

These were aged 89 to 15 but I am not up for a fight.

NinjaBunny Tue 18-Feb-14 22:10:04

Wild, I went because I fancied supper.

grin

IdRatherPlayHereWithAllTheMadM Tue 18-Feb-14 22:10:38

I am impressed that you can judge differences in intelligence between 'state schooled'children and public schoolboys over dinner so acutely

Me too, Op must be some sort of super hero able to listen to a million conversations at once and reference them all against her own in depth knowledge of interests, being able to of course, assess all thiers over...supper. By her super human powers of...

OP are you Sherlock?

Coumarin Tue 18-Feb-14 22:10:42

What was your connection to them? That led you to having dinner with them?

Chippingnortonset123 Tue 18-Feb-14 22:11:20

It was a party of fifteen!

Lottiedoubtie Tue 18-Feb-14 22:12:39

I am not looking for a fight.

No, of course you aren't. hmm grin

Chippingnortonset123 Tue 18-Feb-14 22:12:53

Will be back when I can tomorrow.

NigellasDealer Tue 18-Feb-14 22:13:54

were there chips on the menu?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now