Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

When you know someone is wrong but they insist they are right...

(50 Posts)
diabolo Tue 18-Feb-14 17:44:59

I use another forum about a holiday destination, and someone uploaded a photo of a bird they insist is an Egyptian Vulture.

I know the photo is of a Red Kite. When I pointed this out I was told I am wrong.

The birds are not at all similar (if you are bored have a look on Google images).

The forum isn't about birds, this was just a "by the way look what I saw today" photo from the poster.

The trouble is, the person helps to run the forum and I know I will piss off the people who run it if I upload some links to webpages of images of the birds that will prove I am right

What would you do?

Anything? Nothing? Get a life????? grin

headinhands Wed 19-Feb-14 17:23:16

Everyone thinks 'they're right on this occasion' grin

BadlyShavedYeti Wed 19-Feb-14 15:24:39

I had this with DP whilst on holiday in Cuba and the worst bit was that we had no bloody internet so I could prove the bastard wrong.

We were talking about the lack of American things in Cuba (we know all about the embargo etc) but suprised how many American things were there (Coke/Sprite etc)

DP - They dont wear Nike trainers do they
Me - No, not really as Nike is American
DP - Well why do they wear Adidas then?
Me - Adidas is German
DP - No its not its American
Me - No, its German, made in the same town as Puma
DP - The are American
Me - NO THEY ARE NOT

and so on and so on

and so on. The first thing I did when we landed was use the 3G to prove him wrong.

diabolo Wed 19-Feb-14 15:08:17

I would hate for anyone to think I was a "doofus", especially some near stranger on an Internet forum. I'd much rather they thought I was a smug know it all.

grin

And by the way, I am right on this occasion and that's the one we're talking about.

headinhands Wed 19-Feb-14 14:58:56

The problem with this is that we all assume that every time we have noticed someone being wrong that we were right. Chances are some of those times the 'wrong' person was actually right and we were wrong. And you both left the convo thinking the other was a doofus. No one is right all the time they think they are. My line is it's rarely important. And I would rather people thought I was a doofus than the sort of person who had to be right.

diabolo Wed 19-Feb-14 14:49:41

Just a quick update, she said "sorry diabolo, someone told me they were Egyptian Vultures and I believed them".

So I said "no problem, sorry for being such a bird geek".

Another wrong put right!

LineRunner Tue 18-Feb-14 21:58:19

But if you had a holly oak, wouldn't you say?

And wouldn't there be evidential acorns?

And why do I care?

HouseAtreides Tue 18-Feb-14 21:36:47

By the way there is a type of evergreen oak that looks similar to the bay... just saying smile

HouseAtreides Tue 18-Feb-14 21:34:05

An ex boyfriend once did this, culminating in his storming out in an almighty huff. My crime was insisting that there used to be wolves and bears in the UK. A long time ago. He would NOT have it.

My 'friend' insists I will get arthritis at the site of a broken bone when I'm older.

My friend seems to have forgotten the 14 years I spent in medical research; about half of which was in rheumatoid and osteoarthritis.

cafesociety Tue 18-Feb-14 20:01:25

It's so annoying when people have closed minds and think they are always right. Such an arrogant attitude.

The other day I remarked on the Bay tree in their garden, and was told it was an Oak! Umm, I don't think so as it is in full leaf and the leaves not at all oak shaped. To think they have lived in their house for years and don't know what grows in the front garden....[it's a bay tree, honestly].

The insistence that it was an Oak was made in a confrontational way too, talk about passive/aggressive......

Mum with DD on the same OT course as mine. X primary school has a swimming pool.
Me: No it doesn't my DD goes there
Her: Yes it does
Me: It really doesn't
Repeat in same vein for several minutes hmm
Her: It's Y primary that has a swimming pool

No apology. No admittance I was right what so ever.

HolidayArmadillo Tue 18-Feb-14 19:20:42

Sorry, I should have given more context, difficult to explain now but one person was talking about their nephew who is non verbal, violent 'severely autistic', the other was discussing their daughter who was diagnosed with aspergers 2 years ago, high functioning, excels in various subjects at school, hopeless in social situations, with noise etc, quirky. Belligerent fool of a work colleague was acting the authority on it all (I know they aren't diseases, I should have put the word in inverted commas) when I responded with the above 'relating it to the two children above being on the same spectrum just differing ends. Should have been clearer!

SharksAreFish Tue 18-Feb-14 19:01:48

(I just changed my name there, so no one can use my shark book authorship to track me down...!)

SharksAreFish Tue 18-Feb-14 19:01:05

Ha ha DP's colleague: "Sharks are not fish!"

Me: No, sharks are fish.

Her: No no you're wrong, sharks are not fish.

Me: Yes, they are.

Her: No, they aren't and I know I'm right, why do you keep arguing with me?

Me: (Thinking OK love, you can have both barrels) Actually, I just wrote a book about sharks, and the first sentence is "Sharks are a type of fish". Sharks are fish.

Her: No they're not.

confused

FunkyBoldRibena Tue 18-Feb-14 18:53:06

Neither Autism or Asperger's Syndrome are diseases.

Autism is a developmental disability.

Asperger's is a form of Autism.

They aren't at different ends of a spectrum...

diabolo Tue 18-Feb-14 18:52:49

I awful ?????

Shoot me!

diabolo Tue 18-Feb-14 18:52:26

Some of these are so I awful/funny I'm getting angry on your behalf.

There are a lot of ignoramuses out there. They deserve to be corrected!

FunkyBoldRibena Tue 18-Feb-14 18:49:53

Wow Coriolanus - that's 900 meals in one sitting. Maths was never their strong point, obviously.

I love it, well done for posting the pictures.

I hope you get a suitably contrite reply.

HolidayArmadillo Tue 18-Feb-14 18:45:06

Oh god I work with someone like this. Her pearler yesterday was (verbatim) 'Autism and Aspergers are completely different diseases, nothing like each other. Of course you can get both.' End sermon. I pointed out they were just differing ends of one spectrum. That's why it's called ASD. She told me that wasn't true. So I just walked out before I punched her.

AnUnearthlyChild Tue 18-Feb-14 18:43:06

I'm sarcastic andhave to prove I'm right

So I'd just have said something like 'yes, it's obviously a vulture you can tell by the bald face, so typical of a vulture..... Oh no ....wait..... It's a fucking red kite. Like I said.'

Coriolanus Tue 18-Feb-14 18:41:28

I had this disagreement:
Friend was organising a meal where everyone brought a dish to contribute. 30 people attending.
She instructed everyone that they each had to bring a dish big enough to feed 30.
I pointed out that this would mean that we would all be eating a 30 course meal.
She insisted that she was right.
hmm

coffeeinbed Tue 18-Feb-14 18:41:23

I thought this was a thread about my mother...

grin

you tell them, diabolo!

bamboobutton Tue 18-Feb-14 18:40:43

Im like this too, to the point that i just googled a certsin type of cake to prove to dh that it idnt served with pouring creamblush

i enjoy nothing more than a blazing row over somthing trivial then going to google and rubbing dhs very wrong nose it, most satisfying.

cant wait to see what ms wrong on the other forum says to your post!

NoraRobertsismyguiltypleasure Tue 18-Feb-14 18:40:07

Wow, they really are not at all similar, apart from having beaks and wings!! (just googled it). Definitely deserved correcting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now