Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

What do you do after bedtime when in a hotel with a baby?

(70 Posts)
growltigersontheloose Tue 18-Feb-14 15:17:36

My son will be 22 months, and normally goes to sleep at 7pm. We're there with family so it'd be nice to be able to have dinner and a few drinks after he's gone to bed. I'm going to ask the hotel for a room near the bar so that we are within monitor range. Are there other options if that isn't possible? Has anyone tried one of those baby monitoring apps? Any other suggestions? Thanks smile

sooperdooper Tue 18-Feb-14 15:19:36

Settle him to sleep in his buggy and take him down with you? That's what friends of ours did with their twins, they snoozed away happily in their buggy

BulletForMySandwich Tue 18-Feb-14 15:26:58

I personally won't be leaving dd (14 months) in the room with just a monitor! I'm quite precautions though, we're buying a canopy and trying to upgrade to a 1 bedroom room or get a balcony!

CockBollocks Tue 18-Feb-14 15:33:40

Erm, we had room service/went to bed!!!

I did try and use a monitor once at a hotel - couldn't relax and ended up taking a hot chocolate to bed!! Just don't think it's worth the risk/stress.

Buggy is a good idea.

Elderberri Tue 18-Feb-14 15:37:49

Never understood this. Never left any of my children alone in a strange hotel. After maddie maccan, why would people consider this.

rollonthesummer Tue 18-Feb-14 15:42:40

God, I can't believe people actually consider this?!

I'd take the baby in a buggy, take it in turns to meet family downstairs or have a drink/watch a film together in the room.

pussycatdoll Tue 18-Feb-14 15:44:48

We didn't bother

The thought of reading a book by the bathroom light never appealed
We rented a cottage so it was a home from home

Artandco Tue 18-Feb-14 15:45:15

Put baby in buggy and take down to dinner with you. Put in buggy when tired. One of you can talk him for a walk to sleep if he needs it then back to restaurant/ bar

You mut be mad putting a child to sleep at 7pm in hotel, and then what sitting in silence?

JuniperHeartwand Tue 18-Feb-14 15:46:32

You can't leave him in the room, if there's a fire alarm they might stop you going back in.

We've stayed in hotels twice with our baby, once for a family wedding so took it in turns to chill out in the room while the other partied, once my DH stayed in watching TV very quietly (big room) while I went out for dinner with my friends.

mrsbug Tue 18-Feb-14 15:56:10

Try to rent an apartment rather than a room. Put DC to bed then sit in the living area drinking wine etc

mrsbug Tue 18-Feb-14 15:59:05

Camping is also a good option with a baby, pitch your tent near the campfire then you can sit with your friends and hear the baby if they cry.

We only stayed inan an actual hotel once with dd and it was a pain. I seriously considered putting her travel cot in the bathroom blush

vvviola Tue 18-Feb-14 15:59:37

As I mentioned in another thread - interconnecting rooms, door ajar, room service.

In one hotel where we only had one room, we sat on the balcony and the restaurant staff passed food up from their balcony. Completely against hotel policy but they knew we were technically on honeymoon so wanted to help out grin

DuckandCat Tue 18-Feb-14 16:00:22

I thought the whole point of holidaying with family was a bit of free babysitting grin

But seriously, just get your DS to sleep in the buggy and take him with you. Not worth the risk.

squoosh Tue 18-Feb-14 16:00:57

Camping/self catering accomodation are much better options with small people than hotel rooms.

exexpat Tue 18-Feb-14 16:05:28

We travelled a lot with small children, but never stayed in hotels as far as possible until DCs were older and could be taken pretty much anywhere and stay up late. Self-catering villas or serviced apartments are the way to go when they are little (or staying with family/friends).

minipie Tue 18-Feb-14 16:05:53

I wouldn't ask for a room near the bar if I were you, recipe for DS or you being kept awake by music/guest noise.

I wouldn't rely on a monitor in a large hotel. We did actually do that in a place we stayed in Spain but there were only 5 rooms so it was more of a large house, not a hotel.

I think the options are:

1) take turns to sit in the room with DS (or ideally on the balcony/terrace if there is one)

2) book a babysitter (expensive...)

3) take DS with you asleep in buggy

4) take DS with you awake and shift his body clock forward (this is the obvious option if you are going east so time zone is ahead anyway). Downside is no child free evening, up side is a lie in! (in theory at least)

WTFlike Tue 18-Feb-14 16:05:58

I like to think I trained my baby to be able to tolerate lights and low noise from TV etc when sleeping, but maybe I was just lucky.

In hotels we just got room service, watched tv and drank wine, or took her in her buggy to sleep in restaurant. I would never have considered leaving her alone.

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Tue 18-Feb-14 16:08:41

Take him with you. I wouldn't even consider leaving my DD alone in a hotel room.

Slebmum Tue 18-Feb-14 16:11:40

Sat outside the room in the hallway with the door adjar drinking wine classy we are

Wouldn't even consider the monitoring option, what if that was the night they learnt to climb out of the cot or there was a fire? Not worth the risk imo.

Take them downstairs with you, or one of you stay up, or get a babysitter from a vetted agency. No way would I leave them in a room with a monitor.

Keep them up a littlelater for dinner, pay the upgrade to a suite and have everyone back for drinks when you putds down in the bedroom bit.

mrsbug Tue 18-Feb-14 16:22:42

when we went to the canaries we had an all inclusive deal, BUT you were only allowed to drink the free beer in the hotel bars, you weren't supposed to take it back to your room. Cue me and DP constantly sneaking beers out of the bar, round the pool and across the resort to our apartment. Then sneaking the empties back in the morning. Now that's classy parenting grin

noviceoftheday Tue 18-Feb-14 16:24:06

We have stayed in a hotel twice with a baby. First time, there wasn't even a balcony. We literally sat in the dark whispering the entire time. All 3 weeks of it.

2nd time we got a suite so room with a living room and a balcony. We had drinks in the lounge/balcony after all three of us returned from dinner and we put her to bed in our room.

Since then we have gone self catering. Hotels with toddlers = nightmare.

To answer your question....We would never leave them. I would rather be paranoid now than sorry later.

KellyElly Tue 18-Feb-14 16:36:23

22 months is nearly two so not really a baby. I would go for and early dinner and drink and let him have a later bedtime. There will be family there to play with him and entertain him. Not worth leaving such a young child alone in a room.

KellyElly Tue 18-Feb-14 16:37:00

Or arrange a babysitter locally or through the hotel who will sit in the room with him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now