Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Appropriate christening present from an out atheist?

(38 Posts)
greengoblinofgoo Tue 18-Feb-14 11:46:24

I've caved and got a nice card with a cross on it, but don't know what I should buy the baby/parents - if anything? It's family but we're not hugely close. Baby clothes seems a bit obvious, plus I did that at xmas.

Any ideas?

Reiltin Tue 18-Feb-14 11:50:42

A book? A friend got our kid a lovely copy of Wind in the Willows because every girl should own it.

drspouse Tue 18-Feb-14 11:52:11

We got a selection of nice named or "special" presents for our DS's baptism, few of which were religious in theme. Off the top of my head we got some special children's books (I am calling to mind a Narnia anthology though that was intended with the religious theme in mind, but there are lots of anthologies of literature - I gave my niece a non-religious one for her baptism); a lovely box carved with his name (remember it's a naming ceremony); two musical boxes; some cute toddler cutlery (though of course useless silver items are traditional).

cathpip Tue 18-Feb-14 11:55:31

I brought an Emma Bridgewater plate, mug and bowl set for a friends sons christening, they loved it.

FrumiousBandersnatch Tue 18-Feb-14 11:59:47

A copy of your favourite children's book, inscribed with a message to the child.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 18-Feb-14 12:09:18

How about a nice copy of "The God Delusion"? grin

greengoblinofgoo Tue 18-Feb-14 12:11:23

Nice ideas, thanks everyone. Hadn't thought of books. God Delusion's a winner! grin

FayeKorgasm Tue 18-Feb-14 12:13:55

If you are looking for a cuddly toy, how about a flying spaghetti monster?

Finnbheara Tue 18-Feb-14 12:14:03

www.yourlifetile.com/index.php?id=12 shamelessly promoting a Friend's business smile

Tommy Tue 18-Feb-14 12:15:49

DS3 got a book of Just So Stories and a card that said "I hope you have an interesting life" which I thought was rather lovely smile

Martorana Tue 18-Feb-14 12:17:08

I have given this a couple of times. It's incredibly expensive sad but so beautiful. And it will last them forever.

Jess03 Tue 18-Feb-14 12:18:12

Framed family photos/album. Had an atheist auntie/uncle and they put together a lovely photographic family tree for dd to look at when she's older. Otherwise a nice book's always a winner.

greengoblinofgoo Tue 18-Feb-14 12:50:00

Fab ideas! I especially love the photograph one, thanks.

Sortyourmakeupout Tue 18-Feb-14 12:59:14

Not sure why you caved as it's their religion and celebration so whatever you get it should reflect that.

You could get the christening candle with name date etc as the idea is to use it to celebrate wedding etc.

Jess03 Tue 18-Feb-14 13:03:46

I'd prefer people gave stuff from heir heart. Dd's christening was something we wanted to do but we wouldn't have wanted religious stuff from people that think it is cobblers, rather they got her something they liked and felt close not alienated. Christenings are about family, history and tradition too, not just narrowly religious.

squoosh Tue 18-Feb-14 13:08:46

It wouldn't occur to me to give a religious gift.

For the last two christenings I've given an engraved Swiss Army knife and a Robert Sabuda pop up book.

happypotamus Tue 18-Feb-14 13:17:56

For DD's Christening she didn't receive any religious gifts except a wooden Noah's Ark. She had jewellery, silver cutlery with her name on, books, an eggcup set, money boxes, ornaments, clothes. All of them were greatly appreciated and I didn't realise for a while that none of them were at all religious.

BEEwitched Tue 18-Feb-14 13:24:28

I grew up Catholic and aparent from a few books with child-appropriate prayers we just got cuddly toys and normal baby's presents.

Sortyourmakeupout Tue 18-Feb-14 13:30:46

A Swiss Army knife for a christening gift, really?

I christened my three at the same time and they got all sorts. We were leaving the country a couple of days after to go to Dubai so people mostly gave money when I think of it.

squoosh Tue 18-Feb-14 13:33:06

'A Swiss Army knife for a christening gift, really?'

Yes really.

His parents are very outward bound sorts and this was my way of wishing him a life of adventure. I had it engraved and they absolutely loved it.

Money is so very boring I find.

Sortyourmakeupout Tue 18-Feb-14 13:36:50

The money was very much appreciated and I suppose people were considering our baggage allowance.

Whatever you get them I'm sure they'll be happy op.

eurochick Tue 18-Feb-14 13:38:09

I always give silver money boxes. They probably get several, but kids like organising things so the ability to save money in more than one place is not a bad thing.

LittleMissDisorganized Tue 18-Feb-14 13:40:27

Maybe something like a height chart, or one of those canvas calendars with weather and stuff - obviously for older children but also giving something that lasts.

(FWIW I am a Christian and I don't believe in infant baptism - I know a lot of the infant baptisms done at my church are for families who don't actually have a personal faith, it's because it's the "done thing", so I wouldn't worry about it not being traditional or faith-based, useful is probably far better.)

Frikadellen Tue 18-Feb-14 13:42:41

DD3 is very envious that she (unlike her older siblings) didnt get a money box as her christening presents (she got many other lovely things)

greengoblinofgoo Tue 18-Feb-14 13:42:43

I caved because I wanted to be generous and respect their choice. I don't think a religious gift would mean much coming from me.

I love that pop-up book. The baby's just a few weeks old and the parents are better off than me so I don't think money's appropriate in this case. But you've all given me loads to think about, thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now