Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Advice your Mother gave you that you actually listened to.

(244 Posts)

Talking to my children today about being nice. Two seconds after they were tearing each other apart again.
Found myself saying 'I always listened to my Mum!'
...then wondered if I ever actually did.
Some of it was good and I should have followed and some was rubbish. But I couldn't think of any that I remembered thinking 'ah yes..I must remember that' so has anyone, anywhere ever listened to their mother?

MummyAbroad Mon 17-Feb-14 20:53:55

Yup. "Always be financially independent from a man" Stuck to that one like glue.

DameFanny Mon 17-Feb-14 20:55:35

Um, no, nothing springs to mind blush

But at least she's now checking with me that her outfits for major events are ok grin

Good one! Wasn't given that advice t until after being married!

Never slag off your friend's ex when they break up. If you do, and they get back together, you've lost a friend.

dietcokeandwine Mon 17-Feb-14 20:59:15

Make sure you and DH stand together when it comes to the DC. Never allow them to play you off against each other - so if one of you has said no to something, make sure the other one backs you up.

winklewoman Mon 17-Feb-14 21:03:23

Never trust a man whose eyes are too close together.

LaQueenOfHearts Mon 17-Feb-14 21:03:26

When I was 15 my Mum told me to never put my face in the sun - and I never have, have always worn a foundation with SPF, always worn a high factor sun screen when on holiday and a hat...

Now, at 43 my skin is still wrinkle and line free smile

cathpip Mon 17-Feb-14 21:04:01

"If you are going to spend money on children, make sure it's on well fitting shoes and outdoor coats. Then it does not matter what the weather is like, they can still play outside". Have stuck to that one, mum was right!

Grow a garden. Even if it is just in containers.
Contribute, either through money or effort, but do your fair share.
Don't walk away from your dreams, no matter how hard it is to achieve.
Its ok to break the rules sometimes.

SundaySimmons Mon 17-Feb-14 21:06:58

Be kind to animals.

My mother is kind to all living creatures. She has always had an empty jar labeled, 'Eek! Eek!' which she places over spiders and then slides cardboard under the glass, humanely trapping them inside and then releasing in the garden.

I cannot being myself to do this and they are hoovered, but I am kind to all other animals.

RandallFloyd Mon 17-Feb-14 21:07:54

Tuck your vest in your knickers.

(From my Nanna actually but sage nonetheless.)

cakesonatrain Mon 17-Feb-14 21:10:31

Remember that most people are idiots.

I think she was referring to other drivers on the road, but actually, it's true pretty much everywhere.

kotinka Mon 17-Feb-14 21:11:43

Make sure your hands are cold for making pastry.

Don't cook if you're angry, it'll go tits up.

joanofarchitrave Mon 17-Feb-14 21:12:02

Postcards are free for everyone to read but NEVER read anyone else's letters.
Always write letters to the bereaved.
Eat protein at every meal.
Keep promises.
If you accept an invitation, that's a commitment. It's fine not to go, but if you've said yes, YOU GO.
If you can walk, you can work.

Shesparkles Mon 17-Feb-14 21:13:33

Well fitting shoes and
Don't go on the back of a motorbike grin

rubyflipper Mon 17-Feb-14 21:13:54

Don't marry a man who can't cook, clean or look after himself. He's expecting you to do it for him.

Don't stick beans up your nose. That was Dad's advice actually but I have lived by it ever since.

MymbleBaratheonBendsTheKnee Mon 17-Feb-14 21:15:39

Pay close attention to how a man eats as it reflects what he is like in 'other areas'. She wasn't wrong! grin

NK2b1f2 Mon 17-Feb-14 21:16:25

Oddly, nothing really. Feel a bit worried now. Could have done with a bit of guidance.

"Don't work as hard as I did" - great advice and I don't plan to.

"Remember what happened to Isadora Duncan." I never travel in a convertible car with the roof down and a long scarf on. I don't remember what I was doing to have this gem imparted by my DM.

PassNoRemark Mon 17-Feb-14 21:17:48

From my grandmother, regarding situations where a friend or acquaintance may feel embarrassed or awkward: Pass no remark.

From my Mum: Marry a tall man

From my Dad: Never lend anything you don't mind not getting back.

Have a running away fund

Your education was not just for results. It was so that you always have the option to go somewhere else if you need to.

Don't use biological washing powder

growingold properly snorted my coffee there grin

Cataline Mon 17-Feb-14 21:20:16

Boobs OR legs. Never both. My sister and I have always abided by this grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now