Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

do you enjoy spending time on your own at home with dc?

(33 Posts)
losenotloose Mon 17-Feb-14 17:18:55

I'm ok going out with them, but when we're at home I find them irritating, noisy, messy and would rather do the housework. I love them absolutely, and do enjoy them in other ways, but at home I feel like a miserable cow. if I'm honest I get bored with them.

is this just the way it is and I have to accept it, or can I actually learn to enjoy them more? when dh and I are both home it's fine! they are 7 and 5.

Only1scoop Mon 17-Feb-14 17:21:23

No Op I have stages of feeling like this....

TallyGrenshall Mon 17-Feb-14 17:23:25

I'm better at home with DS than when we're out. I'm more relaxed because I don't have to constantly tell him to stop/slow down/watch where you're going/no you can't have that...or that....or that either etc etc.

However, if DP is at home then it's a bloody nightmare.

He's 5 (today!!)

MummyPig24 Mon 17-Feb-14 17:24:19

Sometimes I really love it, other times I find it frustrating.

I had a minor freak out this afternoon as they were being so goddamn loud and silly. It was fine after that though!

hootloop Mon 17-Feb-14 17:25:00

Mine are 7 and 4 and I can honestly say I have never felt like that. I know I am quite rare in that though.

dimsum123 Mon 17-Feb-14 17:27:07

I'm just like you OP. I'm fine outside of home with the DC's but hate being alone at home with them. I feel horribly trapped for some reason. If DH is home then I'm fine.

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Mon 17-Feb-14 17:28:28

I don't mind it, occasionally. For example, we haven't been out today and we've rubbed along okay with minimal tantrums!
We will be going out tomorrow though, I don't think I could cope with two consecutive days indoors. And I only have one, I imagine if I had two the bickering and arguments would wear me down.

littlebluedog12 Mon 17-Feb-14 17:30:52

We dug out our old Wii for 6yo DD1 today. So we've actually had lots of fun grin and she keeps thrashing me

Aboyandabunny Mon 17-Feb-14 17:33:53

I love it. Ds is 10 so we are past the toys all over the place phase.
It's the last day of in service days here and we have spent the day watching Dr Who (he loves DT episodes especially grin) chatting, making flapjacks with the odd moment of me on mn while he plays his Xbox.
I work shifts including lots of weekends so love this time with him.

invicta Mon 17-Feb-14 17:34:58

I love being at home, but tend not to spend all day inside. I think it's easy to get cabin fever that way, so I always plan a trip outside, even it's only to purchase a pint

RedFocus Mon 17-Feb-14 17:37:20

I really enjoy being at home with my DC. I miss them when they are at school and I know they are only lent to me so I'm making the most of it while I can.

Mine are 7 and 5 too. I was in work this morning then picked them up at 1pm from holiday club, but there were points this afternoon where they really set my teeth on edge, it's the frequent negotiating that makes me feel tired.

I always look forward to the school holidays as I want to spend time with them, then I spend the first day wondering what I was looking forward to! However, I do find that things settle down and we get used to being off school and start to enjoy ourselves more.

BrokenToeOuch Mon 17-Feb-14 17:42:57

I generally love being at home with them, am a sahm and wouldn't do it if I didn't love it.
My own rule though is never to spend all day in the house. My dc really need to access the outdoors, as do I every day.
They are now 9,8 and 2 and get along really well together, no squabbles, no tantrums and space to have time alone if required. I love spending time in my own home anyway, and the dc just get on with amusing themselves a lot of the time.

daimbardiva Mon 17-Feb-14 17:43:37

I've had a day off today and there have been points I've wished I was at work!! I love my dc to bits but sometimes I do find them too much...you are not alone!!

MamaPain Mon 17-Feb-14 17:47:18

I think seven and five are horrible ages though. I really don't like young children, particularly if there is more than one. At that age they're draining in the need for attention and I find the conversations really tiresome.

I however, love teens so yes I have felt like you, and yes it has got better. Now I happily have a home full of teens and can't get enough of chatting and laughing with them.

Slapntickleothewenches Mon 17-Feb-14 17:52:25

<whispers> not really sad
And I hate that I have to say that but I work shifts so I'm now stuck in this vicious circle of either trying to do stuff but being tired, or sleeping a while by which time DS is naggy as hell because hes been stuck on his iPad all morning.
I think I have cracked this half term but it has taken military planning to do so smile

SetPhasersTaeMalkie Mon 17-Feb-14 17:53:37

I love being at home all day with DS. He's nearly 12 and it's rare for us to find the time.
We just watch films and read and chat. We both love when it's getting dark and we can close the curtains. Pyjama days are the best.

When he was younger I did struggle a bit and would always be busy so it's lovely to feel like this now he's older.

Meglet Mon 17-Feb-14 17:54:03

No, they drive me insane. 7 and 5 here too hmm. House is tiny, their rooms are too small to play in so they dominate the living room and trash it. And I'm a LP so I'm usually stuck with them all weekend.

pussycatdoll Mon 17-Feb-14 17:57:11

I find it hard as I don't let them watch tv or go on their ds' all day or the computer or the ps3

If I did life would be so much easier grin

pussycatdoll Mon 17-Feb-14 17:59:24

I think we all prefer the routine of school despite moaning about the early start, school run, lunches, uniform
They just seem to need routine more
If we had loads of money & I could spend Monday - cinema, Tuesday - softplay , Wednesday - lunch out, Thursday - bowling & Friday swimming & fish & chips then half term would go a lot better

LegoStillSavesMyLife Mon 17-Feb-14 18:01:52

I find it much easier to have them at home than out and about. I didn't when they were smaller. But now they are of an age where they get on and play nicely together.

Mine are 6 and 4 I'm praying that it doesn't all go tits up when they turn 7 and 5 now though

NinjaCow Mon 17-Feb-14 18:01:53

I mostly enjoy it, but get times when I feel very trapped. But generally it feels quite laid back and tbh any time off work makes me happier, which makes me less stressed (I have social anxiety, focussing around work mainly). I care full time for my sister (13) and DD (3) and I'm liking this stage because DD is now old enough to communicate and have sensible kind of games, and DSis mainly likes talking to friends and whatever, but we can have some great conversations too. If I was a SAHP, I don't think I could cope at all, though.

losenotloose Mon 17-Feb-14 18:07:07

we're in a small one bedroom flat so there's no break from it! also, do your kids always need something? mum, I need a piece of sellotape/drink of water/get me out the bath/play with me/oh no, I've spilt it. ffs! just leave me alone! I could cry, I'm a nice mum most of the time, but at home I end up snappy and, I hate to say it, but so short tempered it's horrible. I think when I'm alone with them I feel so under pressure to get things done I don't cope well. when others are around I'm a different person.

that's terrible, isnt it?sad

AmeliaToppingLovesShopping Mon 17-Feb-14 18:11:33

I feel like this at times. The problem is my DDs (12, 5 and 3) could make a mess in an empty room, seem to break EVERYTHING and are very noisy!

At the moment all is calm. DD1 and DD3 and playing fairly quietly upstairs and DD2 is sat with me doing some writing. 10 minutes ago however they were all running around playing a very loud game of hide and seek!

I am a LP and apart from when they are at school and I am at college they are with me all of the time. I do love my evenings when they have gone to bed.

TeWiSavesTheDay Mon 17-Feb-14 18:18:40

I don't think it's horrible, I have felt the same, but if you can work out the exact whys and tackle them life is much better.

For holidays, I think routine helps. Go out after breakfast (or lunch) everyday. we went to the library today, so free. Then we got out some toys we don't usually play with, novelty kept it going for a good while. (Google toy rotation)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now