Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Right mousetrap advice needed

(19 Posts)

So we knew we had mice. We have seen the droppings and seen them once or twice. But I think they have ether had babies or come in from the cold because now we are seeing them more often. Usually when I come down at 3am to make Ds's milk and as I enter kitchen I see one dash across the room out of my way.

But they are getting bolder. One fled from the sofa the other day when I picked up a blanket on it when we came down about 6am. And just now I was in bath (bathroom is off kitchen) and I heard squeaks!

Something must be done! Can't have poison anywhere obvious - ds puts everything in mouth and is a real wriggler into small places. And I am damaged by experience in a previous shared house where traps I had caught mouse but didn't kill it immediately and from other room I heard the spring and then loads of bangs and awful squeals as the mouse flipped itself and the trap across the room several times.

So what to do? Except get a cat. We may in next house but hoping to move this year so not something to so now. Are there traps that kill the mouse and keep it hidden as raise some sort of flag so you know to pick up whole trap and throw away?

Thank you

Joules68 Sun 16-Feb-14 22:40:53

Humane traps? Like a box which traps the mouse but doesn't kill it

WTAF Sun 16-Feb-14 22:44:12

If you're not keen on the snappy traps, I'd say put the poison down at night once DC are in bed, and take it up first thing in the morning when you come down. They're most active at night anyway. I only had one mouse thank god but did this with the snappy traps every night, they never worked though even though the wily little git was taking the bait off them! Caught it with a sticky trap in the end but never do that - it was the cruellest thing ever (I was desperate, it had been months and I still feel awful about it years later) sad

NinjaBunny Sun 16-Feb-14 22:44:45

Borrow a cat?

NinjaBunny Sun 16-Feb-14 22:45:43

Ooooo, mint plants!!

They hate mint.

And you can buy then in Tesco really cheaply.

wonkylegs Sun 16-Feb-14 22:53:57

Humane traps don't really work (it even warns about their effectiveness on their own boxeshmm ....in my experience Old fashioned snap traps are still the best traps with peanut butter I'm afraid, although vile are pretty effective.
Amazon seems to sell a variety of traps with mixed reviews
Multi mouse humane trap here
poisoned bait trap might be your best bet
Or this www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002XHJF9A/ref=mp_s_a_1_44?qid=1392591188&sr=8-44&pi=SL75

The humane traps (like a little tunnel with a door ) you need to check several times a day and release them at least a mile awau or they'll come right back.
One year I found a mouse that had literally sweated to death in one sad

I use the Snap Traps (with peanut butter) but

warning

I have had to 'dispatch' a caught mouse from time to time.
But it's quick.

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos Sun 16-Feb-14 23:01:15

Occasionally, what you describe happens with a snap trap, if the mouse walks across the trap rather than goes for the bait, but they really are the most effective and usually most humane.

Snappy traps are the best type, esp when baited with mars bars or milky ways. If you're squeamish, remember that mice piss everywhere, and your ds is crawling in it, probably getting it on his hands....

Humane traps are not effective - been there, tried that, used snappy traps.

IMO the most inhumane ones are the sticky pads (like fly paper)
They don't kill them.
The mouse sticks, panics and gets more stuck.
You have a live mouse - what are you going to do with it? You can't release it.

Nasty.

anchovies Sun 16-Feb-14 23:18:57

Would highly recommend the kind that electrocuted them(!) We caught 4 in 3 days and no sign of them since. Best thing is the light flashes to say there's one in the box and you can just empty it without having to see it at all.

Joules68 Sun 16-Feb-14 23:21:07

Where is it getting in?

Coconutty Sun 16-Feb-14 23:22:06

Humane ones are rubbish. Get a back breaker and get rid of the mice. They are probably doing unseen damage behind the scenes.

Joules68 Sun 16-Feb-14 23:22:29

We are getting lots of customers at work buying traps and bait..... Lots of rat poison and traps being sold too

Sewer rats are homeless with all the floods

Chrysanthemumtea Sun 16-Feb-14 23:22:42

Is that true re mint?

WaitWhatOh Sun 16-Feb-14 23:26:15

ugh, that makes sense Joules, we have a rat appearing in the garden, much bolder than before. well we never saw him before... now everywhere is flooded I suspect they are all above ground. so far this 'one' has eaten three trays of rat poison and seems just fine!!!! angry

Joules68 Sun 16-Feb-14 23:27:12

Oh god, they are becoming immune to poison?

jennifleurs Sun 16-Feb-14 23:29:11

Spring traps work though. Years ago before we had a cat we had mice in the house. I set traps and caught 5 in one night (2 together in 1!) and put poison under/behind some of the kitchen cupboards where LO could not reach.

No mice came back and they wouldn't last long if they did now we have our lovely cat.

LoonvanBoon Sun 16-Feb-14 23:35:11

I'd also recommend the electrocution type. We bought one from amazon that was actually designed for rats, but reviews said it was better than the mouse version. We baited it with bits of snickers & it was very effective - &, we hoped, quick & painless.

The traditional snappy type would be my second choice, again because they should kill the mice quickly. We had a couple of these too when we had our mouse problem & they were quite good, but we had one unpleasant incident where a mouse got its leg caught & didn't die. Fortunately we were in, heard the trap go off & were able to dispatch the mouse ourselves, or it would have been stuck there in pain.

Poison is horrible. Years ago when we lived in a rental property our landlord used it & we found a few mice in a really bad way, dying slowly, & had to kill them ourselves anyway. The sticky ones also sound totally inhumane.

We didn't use the humane traps that catch the mice alive because I'd heard that they just try to get back, even if you release them miles away. Don't know how true that is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now