Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Ouija boards and the like...

(107 Posts)
Nokidsnoproblem Mon 10-Feb-14 18:38:41

Has anyone ever used a ouija board and had a spooky outcome?

Personally, I don't believe in any of that kind of stuff. However I do know a lot of people that have used ouija boards and claimed that they 'worked'.

WeAllHaveWings Mon 10-Feb-14 18:53:47

do they work? Don't know. Im generally a logical person and therefore a non believer but cant explain how that glass moved, and it wasn't nice. I was freaked out for weeks after, couldn't sleep in my flat where we did it and I wouldn't do it again. Ever.

I never have because all the mags I read as a young teen (bliss, sugar, mizz and the like!) told me never to try it!

superbagpuss Mon 10-Feb-14 18:57:37

my mum did and said something bad happened

scared us from using them for life

ArrivedAtPanicStation Mon 10-Feb-14 18:58:53

Got into these at school, scared me and my friend for months.

loveliesbleeding1 Mon 10-Feb-14 19:00:42

Yes I did one with friends when we were teenagers.It was a homemade one, which we did in an old abandoned asylum,(I am aware how much of a stereotype that is!).
The glass did move around, and we all swore it wasn't any of us, I can't remember any names or anything,we were told to smash the glass after to get rid of the spirit, and it just would not smash, that was scary.

Aintnobodylovesnanbetter Mon 10-Feb-14 19:01:45

Whilst at college myself and some friends used one
It was a horrible experience and really upset us all
Never used one since and never will

expatinscotland Mon 10-Feb-14 19:01:52

I've never wanted to use one.

Elderberri Mon 10-Feb-14 19:02:35

Yes.

It was scary. It led me down a dark path into being fascinated with the occult.

I am out of it all now. But its always a draw.

I was young pre teen. All the children in my area got into it, and other stuff, bad things happend.

It started out as a game, then pictures flew off the wall.

LittleBabyPigsus Mon 10-Feb-14 19:02:56

Ouija boards are actually board games owned by Parker. They were invented as self-psychoanalysis games, nothing woo/spooky intended. They only got a spooky reputation after WWI but it took a while to catch on.

Elenkalubleton Mon 10-Feb-14 19:03:05

I had experience with ouija board 40 years ago,two friends and myself were just messing around for ages,and suddenly the glass started moving it spelt out the name Alan,which was one of the friends husband who had died in a car crash about a year previous.We asked him if he had suffered in the crash, the glass just spun fast onto the floor. We just freaked out,and no I wouldn't do it again.

SofaKing Mon 10-Feb-14 19:03:16

My aunt was into them, summoned a spirit claiming to be my dad's father, who had died when he was two. Aunt was his sil so had no knowledge of his father, it disclosed a secret which only he, his brother, and his mother knew.

It also turned the lampshade up to face the ceiling when asked to do something to prove its existence. My mum said it used to periodically turn upside down every so often and it freaked her out so she threw it out and it stopped happening.

I'm a skeptic and have never had anything happen at all when I experiemented with Ouija boards in my teens.

Nokidsnoproblem Mon 10-Feb-14 19:24:23

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Loverly-Dark-Pink-Ouija-Board-Glass-Tile-Pendant-Necklace-/390761296728?pt=UK_JewelleryWatches_WomensJewellery_Rings_SR&hash=item5afb303358

Is it wrong that I love this necklace?

tolittletoolate Mon 10-Feb-14 19:53:49

yes I've done one and it worked and loads of spooky things happened!

NigellasGuest Mon 10-Feb-14 19:59:50

we didn't have a ouija board but we sat round the dining room table "willing" a spirit and everything went bonkers. we were 4 girls aged between 11 and 13 and I have since been told that at that age girls are very in tune but I know that sounds nuts

ThatBloodyWoman Mon 10-Feb-14 20:01:14

No ouija boards in this house.

No way.

CalamityKate Mon 10-Feb-14 20:02:35

Oh get a GRIP.

Google the ideomotor effect.

Try doing a ouija board with everyone blindfolded. Strangely, although it shouldn't make any difference - after all, the spirits can still see where the letters are - it NEVER works unless everyone with their fingers on the glass can see.

I can't believe that supposedly sane, intelligent, rational adults fall for this kind of hooey. Seriously hmm

WildThong Mon 10-Feb-14 20:03:32

We did it years ago, homemade with Lexicon playing cards. The glass was definitely moving and twice spelt out N O then wooshed off the table, really spooky and unpleasant experience and would never do it again.

NigellasGuest Mon 10-Feb-14 20:04:21

well we didn't even have a board and the dining room table rose up and crashed down again several times, then drawers opened and shut on their own
it was over 30 years ago but i remember

I was first told about them on a Brownie camp(!) We did one, and I've a vague memory of the glass moving, but I think people were pushing.

One year at school, a group of us read in a book that if you said "white lady, white lady, I've stolen your baby" three times, something scary would happen. I've just googled it and it seems a version of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Lady_(ghost) - and we were in East Yorkshire. Less than a minute after we'd done it a huge electrical storm came from nowhere and terrified us beyond belief. I'm a bit hmm now, but still, it definitely stayed with me.

Finally, on a Guide camp, a few of us went for a late night walk in the woods and found an area marked out with a couple of handmade crosses. We tried the "light as a feather, stiff as a board" thing (I think some of the elder members of the group may have been watching The Craft...) and that worked too - but again, it's difficult to say if it was a few people really lifting. Looking back I'm just glad we didn't have a Pet Semetary moment.

DipMeInChocolate Mon 10-Feb-14 20:06:16

I did with my cousin drunk, then in the middle of one at 2am the phone rang with a really scary noise. We shit ourselves, until we realised it her younger brother calling it from his bedroom. They're a load of bollox but we all know that right?

NigellasGuest Mon 10-Feb-14 20:09:52

I don't think they should be dabbled with/in and would be worried to find out that the DCs were using them even in fun.

Nokidsnoproblem Mon 10-Feb-14 20:22:03

@NigellasGuest

I don't understand, you didn't have a ouija board? What did you have?

thegreylady Mon 10-Feb-14 20:24:35

Did it when I was a student and it was scary and prophetic. Would never ever try it again.

VikingLady Mon 10-Feb-14 20:24:39

My mum did, but she was a very drunk Catholic teenager in a graveyard at Halloween with her friends. So I'd have been surprised if she thought nothing had happened!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now