Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

A neighbour wants to re-charge his flat petrol car battery from our mains electricity. How much would it cost us?

(166 Posts)
FuelledConfusion Mon 10-Feb-14 16:49:17

Just that, essentially. He hasn't been able to afford to run his car for a while, and the battery has gone flat. He claims that he is too skint to pay for a mechanic to do it for him, and too skint to do it from his own mains - so basically, he's asking to put a cable through an open window of ours, and recharge it.

Does anyone know how much this is likely to cost us? I'm not averse to helping out a neighbour, but money is tight for us as well, and I'd want to know what sort of an electricity bill we'd be facing. He says that he wouldn't be able to pay us back.

Anyone?

TippiShagpile Mon 10-Feb-14 16:50:53

I had no idea you could do that. Are you sure?

Do you have a car you could use to jump start his from?

babybearsmummy Mon 10-Feb-14 16:51:21

:/ if I were you I'd see if he has any jump leads and jump start it. Then send him on his way! I wouldn't charge it for him.

PasswordProtected Mon 10-Feb-14 16:52:11

You'd be better off getting jump leads & giving him a jump start, the have him drive round for a while so that the car recharges its own battery.

FuelledConfusion Mon 10-Feb-14 16:52:56

I don't have a car - but I'm sure I could find someone who does.

What's a jump start?

I thought you needed a special piece of equipment to charge from the mains?

If money is tight for you then no way.

Just jump start it. How could you do it from the mains?

A jump start is when you link the battery from a running engine to the dead battery and then fire the engine up.

FuelledConfusion Mon 10-Feb-14 16:57:44

Neighbour is now insisting (for reasons I don't understand) that he cannot jump-start it.

So how much would it cost to allow him to plug into our mains?

jaggythistle Mon 10-Feb-14 16:59:39

You can get a trickle charger to rescue dead batteries. Not sure how much energy they use though.

Beanymonster Mon 10-Feb-14 16:59:51

I think although my source is top gear.. that from house mains, instead of a proper charging post, costs £35 per half hour? I might be Mis- recalling the figure

Bloody expensive, say no, or at least I would, particularly as he won't be able to pay you back ..

babybearsmummy Mon 10-Feb-14 17:00:07

From Googling, it looks like it'd take 2 hours or more to charge it fully (depending on the battery size) I'd tell him to find someone else to jump start it (connecting it to their car battery to give it a starting jolt so that he can drive round to charge it up) Please don't charge it from your mains, it will cost a fortune!

LIZS Mon 10-Feb-14 17:00:48

It takes ages though and not ideal in the rain . Of course he could jump it from another car, assuming there is any life left in the battery and it hasn't actually expired.

PeterParkerSays Mon 10-Feb-14 17:00:57

No idea, but quite a lot if he's got to do it from flat. Just tell him no because you're not sure how safe it is so he'll have to ask someone else.

FuelledConfusion Mon 10-Feb-14 17:01:07

So, if £35 per half hour, how long would it take?

Blondieminx Mon 10-Feb-14 17:01:22

Wtf?!

Tell him that you will not be allowing him access to your electricity supply. Sorry, but no, repeat as necessary.

Don't allow him to waffle on. Disengage!

FuelledConfusion Mon 10-Feb-14 17:02:21

So 2 HOURS at £35 per half hour. This is taking the pi$$!

FallenFlower Mon 10-Feb-14 17:02:42

£35 per 30 minutes is for electric cars, not petrol ones.

It'll take a good 24 hours to charge a car battery up. Why can he not use his own mains? Surely he has electricity??

Perfectlypurple Mon 10-Feb-14 17:03:15

Say no. He know it will cost a lot or he would do it from his own electric. I think its a cheek to ask a neighbour to do this.

babybearsmummy Mon 10-Feb-14 17:03:42

Why can't he charge from his own house??

granny24 Mon 10-Feb-14 17:04:41

It can be very hard to jump start a battery which has been flat a long time. I assume he has a trickle charger that he wants to plug in. It is only charging a 12 volt battery and I suspect he has had his electricity cut off. If you charge him 10p you won't be out of pocket.

youbethemummylion Mon 10-Feb-14 17:06:35

Just say no recharging a battery from the mains is not usual at all you usually just jump start and drive round for a bit. If he has the equipment to recharge from the mains he will need to do it himself or ask family or friends not a neighbour it will cost a fortune!

PostHocErgoPropterHoc Mon 10-Feb-14 17:06:44

If he came to your door asking for money, saying he wouldn't be paying you back, would you do it? Because that's what he's asking here.

BeckyBrandon Mon 10-Feb-14 17:06:49

Say no, and that you have to go out somewhere. Then vanish off for a bit.

Hate pushy chancers like him, annoying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now