Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

what do you first eat after you had "the runs"?

(43 Posts)
ZingSweetApple Mon 10-Feb-14 16:26:11

as in from 5am yesterday - I have had terribly painful stomach cramps and now lost count how many times I had to run to the loo.
stopped eating at 10am yesterday, didn't manage to have anything else but sips of water afterwards & over night.

I felt a bit better this morning and had tea and a biscuit earlier but still ended up with painful cramping (though no more running to toilet since 8am).

The problem is that despite being very hungry I don't dare to eat anything - worried about more cramps and that it will set me off again.

I want to eat something but not sure what.
so can you tell me what you think would be safe to eat/what tends to work for you?

Thanks

sanschocolat Tue 11-Feb-14 07:38:42

Sorry you are still feeling rotten Zing

legoqueen Mon 10-Feb-14 21:35:42

Cream crackers & black tea with sugar

ZingSweetApple Mon 10-Feb-14 21:24:32

it ain't oversad

had (not all at once)
- one biscuit
- tea with manuka honey
- slice of toast with jam

every time I ate or drink anything it was shortly followed by more cramps.

and now back on the loo, plus I had to clean up DD's mess which made me sick so since then I feel really sick as well as still being in pain.

back to plain peppermint tea, I'm so hungry but don't dare to eat.
I think I heard somewhere that sugar feeds the bacteria/virus so definitely won't have any of that till tomorrow.

thanks for all advice, much appreciated.

PolterGoose Mon 10-Feb-14 17:27:46

BRAT diet plus yoghurt here.

banana .I swear by them after the runs.

Dry toast, or if you are starving, plainish jacket potato?

NoPainNoGainNoFunNoPoint Mon 10-Feb-14 17:18:45

One slice of toast with a little spread and about half a teaspoon of sugar sprinkled over.

I also drink flat lemonade if I'm poorly. hope you feel better soon. thanks

you dont need to limit to BRAT though so if you feel like having other easily digestible foods then eat them.

CouthyMow Mon 10-Feb-14 17:15:46

BRAT - Banana, Rice (plain), Apple, Toast. In that order.

Bearfrills Mon 10-Feb-14 17:14:05

zing, I'm pregnant too and ended up in hospital with dehydration last week thanks to a vomiting bug - they are absolutely horrendous when your system is already under strain. The eating what you fancy advice was given to me by the doctor in A&E, she said once I felt hungry to have (small amounts) of whatever I fancied.

As others have said, fluids are the important thing. I went from feeling a bit sickly to actually being sick to unable to get off the bathroom floor to an ambulance on the way in the space of about four hours. Plenty of fluids is key.

Hope you feel better soon.

but you need extra fluids, so fluids are a good thing.

Lovely conversation smile

sanschocolat Mon 10-Feb-14 17:08:44

white bread sandwich (no butter) with very, very lean ham?

FuckingWankwings Mon 10-Feb-14 17:03:00

I don't know. I got the impression it was the water content that allowed it to, you know, move on through swiftly.

Sorry, that's gross. grin

FuckinWankwings maybe the extra roughage tipped you over the edge! A less chunky soup may have stayed in for longer.

AnandaTimeIn Mon 10-Feb-14 16:58:48

White bread, white rice for the runs.

Prunes if it's the opposite!

FuckingWankwings Mon 10-Feb-14 16:56:55

powerhoop, it did with me. Was a thick chunky soup, too; I thought there was plenty of roughage in it. But apparently not.

happylass Mon 10-Feb-14 16:55:34

I start with dry toast and maybe some ready salted crisps. If I'm ok with that I have mashed potato and spaghetti hoops.

I have seen soup recommended on the nhs website so wont necessarily go through you any worse than any other foods

just avoid fatty, spicy or heavy foods and otherwise eat what you fancy.

ZingSweetApple Mon 10-Feb-14 16:53:05

ok, not soup then, good tip.

And I don't think eggs, fish or marmite would work - I still have morning sickness, so haven't any of those in months!

FuckingWankwings Mon 10-Feb-14 16:52:28

There are electrolyte drinks too, but they're pretty horrible. Flat pop might be nicer.

tea biscuits or plain digestives

OnlyTheWelshCanCwtch Mon 10-Feb-14 16:51:17

That's drinking the lemonade/coke, not adding it to the rice....

ZingSweetApple Mon 10-Feb-14 16:50:44

sans

yes, dehydration was my big worry, but I've had two cups of water with ice and a cup of tea so far so I think that's going be ok now. smile

OnlyTheWelshCanCwtch Mon 10-Feb-14 16:50:31

Plain rice boiled with two chicken stock cubes for the saltiness with a glass of flat full sugar lemonade or coke
The sugar and salt combination helps rebalance your elecrolytes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now