Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

what do you first eat after you had "the runs"?

(43 Posts)
ZingSweetApple Mon 10-Feb-14 16:26:11

as in from 5am yesterday - I have had terribly painful stomach cramps and now lost count how many times I had to run to the loo.
stopped eating at 10am yesterday, didn't manage to have anything else but sips of water afterwards & over night.

I felt a bit better this morning and had tea and a biscuit earlier but still ended up with painful cramping (though no more running to toilet since 8am).

The problem is that despite being very hungry I don't dare to eat anything - worried about more cramps and that it will set me off again.

I want to eat something but not sure what.
so can you tell me what you think would be safe to eat/what tends to work for you?

Thanks

oddslippers Mon 10-Feb-14 16:32:21

I would avoid anything with fat in, so probably have a piece of toast with but of jam on, no butter.

Bearfrills Mon 10-Feb-14 16:33:08

Personally I'd just eat whatever you fancy if you're hungry as the end result will be the same regardless - if you're going to do a liquid poo, you'll do a liquid poo whether you eat toast or tortellini.

I always start with toast.

carbs supposed to be good. What about some soup?

Rhubarbgarden Mon 10-Feb-14 16:35:13

Scrambled egg.

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Mon 10-Feb-14 16:36:35

Toast, marmite,tea with sugar. (Also default hangover food)

TenCupsOfTea Mon 10-Feb-14 16:37:06

Toast or plain digestive biscuits

invicta Mon 10-Feb-14 16:37:10

Plain biscuits such as digestives or rich teas
Toast
Lucozade or dioralyte to rehydrate and replace lost salts

Pancakeflipper Mon 10-Feb-14 16:38:44

Toast and ready salted crisps

crackers
toast and marmite

sanschocolat Mon 10-Feb-14 16:44:04

crackers
rice
dry toast

in small quantities

sip liquid (water) every 15 minutes (to avoid dehydration), then you can go on to sips of flat Coke or Lucozade if water going down ok

Once above foods tolerated, then you can go on to bananas, apple or pear compote and perhaps a bit later, a boiled egg, or small piece white fish with rice?

I'm no medical expert btw, but the above usually works ok for me (tend to have Marmite on crackers and toast once I'm feeling a bit better).

My doc always says our bodies can tick along quite happily without eating for a while, it's the dehydration you have to watch.

Hope you feel much better soon! thanks

sanschocolat Mon 10-Feb-14 16:45:15

Yes, forgot to say, definitely no fat or dairy for the moment.

When you have recovered totally, it could be good to have some natural yoghurt or probiotics to restore stomach flora etc.

Longdistance Mon 10-Feb-14 16:47:49

Another one for toast and marmite, and tea. I had sickness and the squits at the weekend. This is what I had, and it's not only comfort food, it isn't a heavy meal.

bonkersLFDT20 Mon 10-Feb-14 16:47:54

I'd just eat what you fancy. That's usually a pretty good indication of what might stay down (or up as the case may be!).

ZingSweetApple Mon 10-Feb-14 16:47:56

Thanks for replies!

bear

I know, if it happens happens, but I'm also pg and have sick kids to look after so I just "can't afford" to risk getting worse again.

I fancy either chicken soup with carrots and pasta (in the freezer) or some roast duck with rice and peas (from yesterday).
I just don't know if any meat is a good idea just yet.confused

I'm having a cup of sweet tea in a minute, (the morning one was plain peppermint which helped reduce the pain) then I might have toast and jam.

Boiled rice or boiled potatoes, with salt and olive oil.
Banana.

FuckingWankwings Mon 10-Feb-14 16:49:14

Not soup, it goes right through you in quite an alarming way! [bitter experience]

Dry toast/rice/pasta and some yoghurt. Bananas. Eggs.

Get better soon!

OnlyTheWelshCanCwtch Mon 10-Feb-14 16:50:31

Plain rice boiled with two chicken stock cubes for the saltiness with a glass of flat full sugar lemonade or coke
The sugar and salt combination helps rebalance your elecrolytes

ZingSweetApple Mon 10-Feb-14 16:50:44

sans

yes, dehydration was my big worry, but I've had two cups of water with ice and a cup of tea so far so I think that's going be ok now. smile

OnlyTheWelshCanCwtch Mon 10-Feb-14 16:51:17

That's drinking the lemonade/coke, not adding it to the rice....

tea biscuits or plain digestives

FuckingWankwings Mon 10-Feb-14 16:52:28

There are electrolyte drinks too, but they're pretty horrible. Flat pop might be nicer.

ZingSweetApple Mon 10-Feb-14 16:53:05

ok, not soup then, good tip.

And I don't think eggs, fish or marmite would work - I still have morning sickness, so haven't any of those in months!

just avoid fatty, spicy or heavy foods and otherwise eat what you fancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now