Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Think I'm going to get the sack

(54 Posts)
oranginamina Mon 10-Feb-14 12:14:16

I started a new job 2 weeks ago. It's sales based. I have received no training, and all my boss does is moan at me for what I haven't done (even though I haven't been told to do it and have had no training for the role). She says one thing, then contradicts herself to give me a bollocking. I can't do right for doing wrong!

I got moaned at about spending too short a time per call, then I was spending too long on each call, then I wasn't doing this right, or that right. I've only gone along with the (very vague) things she's told me to do but that's not right either. All she does is tell me about others' achievements and what they are doing/selling but they have all been there years!

Apparently if I don't achieve a certain thing by 2pm (which I haven't been trained in either) I will get the sack. Great.

This was my first job after being a SAHM for several years, and it's really knocked my confidence. What do I do? Stay and get sacked? Or go? I'm on lunch at the moment.

LittleMissGerardButlersMinion Mon 10-Feb-14 12:17:29

Is it a large company with a HR dept? If so, and you want to stay I would consider going to them.

If you can afford to walk away, then do it, it sounds like if you complete this, they will push and push you.

Your boss sounds like they are on a power trip, its then who has a problem, not you.

zumm Mon 10-Feb-14 12:17:46

Can you go and ask her for help with the job. Show you want to learn. If she fobs you off, ask for clear information. Ask her to guide you through it.
Also, probably give up your lunch break today and get working (sorry, but although no-break is against the law, it's just one of those things you do when you're working hard). Best of luck!

endlesstidying Mon 10-Feb-14 12:18:18

what do yoyu have to do? Maybe a mumsnetter can give you pointers

LoopyDoopyDoo Mon 10-Feb-14 12:19:14

Wow. Yes, do they have HR? Is it a real company?

oranginamina Mon 10-Feb-14 12:21:18

No HR department sad

The company sells something to 15 different categories. One category needs a special approach for various reasons. I was told to leave that category and I would receive in-depth training about it. That training has never happened. I told my boss that this morning and she said she didn't say that in the first place, but she did.

I haven't a clue how to deal with this category.

This sounds like a job I had once with a piddly little company who had a fucking mental boss and many illegal practices. For your own sanity resign right now and go and find something else. It is not worth your mental health.

oranginamina Mon 10-Feb-14 12:36:50

This is a piddly little company too. The managers seem to think they rule the world though

CeliaFate Mon 10-Feb-14 12:39:28

This sounds rubbish. You can do better than this. Don't let it knock your confidence and don't put up with it because you've been out of the workplace for a while.
It sounds as though your boss doesn't know what she's doing and is blaming you for her incompetence.
I would resign now, but I don't know how it would affect any benefits you could claim, so it maybe best to wait for her to sack you!

rumbleinthrjungle Mon 10-Feb-14 12:45:32

Did you post a thread about this the day you started? If that's you and it's STILL this bad, then being sacked is a lucky escape! You knew this was a badly organised cock up from hour one and your instincts were spot on, weren't they? It isn't worth wasting your time and energy on. It was a start, it got you to take that first step and get back on the ladder, you can move on to the next step and find something better.

Tbh id go.home for lunch and not return.

oranginamina Mon 10-Feb-14 12:47:08

No, this is my first post here, rumble smile I normally lurk.

I'd tell them to stuff their job, personally. If you're not getting training and they're this pushy, the future can only get worse.

chandlery Mon 10-Feb-14 12:48:42

I'd say I'm nipping for a sandwich, does anyone want anything? Then get the hell out of there not looking back.

Realistically its not going to improve, don't put it on your cv, just chalk it up to (a bad) experience.

ChaffinchOfDoom Mon 10-Feb-14 12:49:11

yep view it as an experience - there will be something better out there...
you need make no mention of it on your CV , some jobs just don't fit.

LEMmingaround Mon 10-Feb-14 12:56:16

yuck - don't stay - i was in a similar position, took on a job teaching in college, was given no training whatsoever (apart from my subject knowledge which i brought with me). Was expected to organise assesments, GCSE's A-levels from the very day i walked in the door - i had no idea if what i was doing was right or wrong. Every-time i asked my line manager passed the buck. Like you this was my first job after being a sahm - the students liked me, i liked the students - felt responsible, stayed - six months down the line, had a nervous breakdown sad Was told that everyone who had taken on that role in the last few years got signed off with stress. It broke me - ive not worked since, this was a year ago and im only just putting myself back together, am on medication. It has taken me a long time to realise that it was them that were shite and not me.

No job is worth that level of stress - fuck em, look for something else

DrewsWife Mon 10-Feb-14 13:04:09

It sounds like my job. Total nightmare. I have been there a year now but I had to learn to voice my disdain and grow a pair. Normally I don't raise my voice.

I know you don't work at my job so it's ok. But my advice is... If she gives you stick. Give her stick back. Sales is a very very alpha male environment. One which I had never done before.

It's how they seem to weed out those who they deem soft.... blush I'm not saying it's right. As it's realllllllly not.

But if it's stressing you. Leave xx.

oranginamina Mon 10-Feb-14 13:07:54

I'm normally a really confident, assertive person but she just has this way of shouting me down and making out that I'm in the wrong even though I know I'm not and that she has said the things. It's infuriating.

I've even got in trouble because no one is calling me back. I leave my number and name with everyone I speak to, as she has told me to do, yet apparently it's my fault that no one has called.

LadyMaryLikesCake Mon 10-Feb-14 13:10:25

Will it affect your benefits if you walk out? I'm pretty sure you can't claim JSA for a while unless you're fired, which doesn't sound like a bad thing from what you've said. If the benefits are not on your radar then I'd just go. You'll learn from this and something far better will come up, I bet you it will. smile

I'm so sorry you're going through this. Some places are just shit and it's no wonder staff leave in droves. I've had a couple of jobs like this, no proper training and all you get it shit, just remember that it's not you. A poor workman always blames his tools.

oranginamina Mon 10-Feb-14 13:12:06

Luckily my DH works and earns enough to support us so we don't get any benefits so I haven't got that hanging over me if I do leave.

I'm still uumming and aaahing but probably going to leave shortly

oranginamina Mon 10-Feb-14 13:12:28

Before she has a change to sack me. Upholding my self esteem and all that smile

LadyMaryLikesCake Mon 10-Feb-14 13:14:34

Jeeze, orangina. Just collect your stuff, hold your head high and leave (I'd give her the hand if she asks where you're going). Go for a glass of wine before you go home.

Life's too short, you know?

thanks

I worked in a family run business selling and it was similar. She sounds like a nightmare. Sales is really hard if you don't have any training,a nc haven't done it before.

I would publicly announce that she has let you down, that you were promised training and are being treated abysmally. Deep breath, say it and leave! Pronto.

poorbuthappy Mon 10-Feb-14 13:16:37

Tell her some home truths and then walk out?
If she's really shit you probably won't want her to be a referee anyway, so sometimes its good to burn bridges.

anchovies Mon 10-Feb-14 13:17:23

I'd go (and have in the past under similar circumstances!) Something better out there for you for sure smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now