Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Something special to signify becoming a mummy

(95 Posts)
Flumpy2012 Mon 10-Feb-14 10:47:16

I'm looking for something special, probably jewellery that will last a lifetime to signify becoming a mummy. I had a difficult pregnancy but as soon as DD arrived life had been perfect.
Any ideas? Or what do you have?

TIA

BrandNewIggi Mon 10-Feb-14 23:26:59

Toria, I read that as a panoramic photo from a few moments before your dc was born wondered if it could really be what I was thinking... grin

SlightlyDampWellies Tue 11-Feb-14 11:38:13

I was thinking about this thread last night and I am a bit bemused at the responses ridiculing the desire to have something special to mark the occasion. The biggest events of your life (or at least mine) were getting married, having DCs and the next one will be probably when I die. TBH, having children was much much bigger than getting married, because it marked a fundamental shift in me that saw me turn from an individual into something else. Okay, a mother sure, but to give a title of 'mum' does not really describe it. It is where your whole entire world, your existence, your very reason changes. I am an entirely different person, my outlook on life changed, my relationship with the world and how if felt about the world changed, and to go from one individual to a person who would quite literally die for my children was more than life-changing, it was soul-changing.

I don't see anything wrong with marking that in a way that is meaningful for you. Be it a tattoo, or a 'mum' ring, or a special necklace, or baby footprints or whatever.

I have an engagement and wedding ring that for me marks a time filled with love, and hope, and faith in the future. I have an eternity ring that we bought after a year or so of really troubled times in our marriage that we came through, and which reminds me we are stronger, I have a necklace with little hearts on it that sits against my heart that reminds me of my beloved children, and reminds me of the mother I want to be - one where my children are just showered with love.

These things might be mere trinkets, but to me each says something very personal.

MiaowTheCat Tue 11-Feb-14 12:33:01

I got this for my birthday last year after DD2 was born and we had our family complete

http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/greenriverstudio/product/petal-triplet-cluster-hand-footprint-necklace

Each one has a handprint and the child's name and date of birth on the back... bloody DD2 snapped the chain recently using it as a convenient carrying handle for mummy though so it's got a replacement necklace now! Loads of similar ones for single children - I just got that one as nice ones for multiple handprints were much rarer.

TheseAreTheJokesFolks Wed 12-Feb-14 00:07:22
TheseAreTheJokesFolks Wed 12-Feb-14 00:10:35

I like that one miaow It is out of my own price range but as a 'forever' present i think it's quite lovely.

Flumpy2012 Thu 13-Feb-14 08:27:12

Hello, sorry I left. I felt a little confused after everyone said I should just be happy with the baby. I am, I totally am.

I didn't decide on anything in the end, I think for my family they can see the total change in me. For a bit of background, I originally lost a baby at 26 weeks pregnant. When I fell pregnant again I suffered bad ante natal depression as I was convinced the same would happen again. I went into labour at 23 weeks, I was given drugs and steroids to stop it and luckily she held on. I became a diabetic on 5 injections a day and suffered spd which stopped me from walking for the last 8 weeks. Finally my placenta began to die so I was rushed in to be induced and DD was born by ventouse at 36 weeks. DP was there at the birth but during this road he moved out so I spent the majority of my pregnancy alone as family are 200 miles away.

It was quite a journey and I totally forget sometimes because DD is here and happy, always happy and healthy and I'm more grateful than I could put into words. DP and I have reconciled and are stronger than ever and I'm really happy. This is why when asked I can't think of a single thing I really want, in my heart I feel like I have it all now, mostly because I never thought I would.

Thank you for all the replies, good and bad.

Our walls are full of photos of DD and DSS. I also have a book called our story for my daughter which I fill in.
The poster who said about describing her rings meanings, I'd love to tell DD that one day, irrelevant of cost, it's the meaning.

Xx

Wow, what a journey Flumpy thanks Am so sorry for your loss sad

I think we're all different with regard to how much we might want to mark significant events with a little token.

I think it's a lovely thing to do if you can find something that's right for you thanks
Hope the thread has given you some ideas (if you still might choose something)?

VegetariansTasteLikeChicken Thu 13-Feb-14 09:37:51

flumpy people lazily read your OP as being after a "push present" which... don't go down well around these parts. Anyone who read your posts properly gave you a sensible answer (although only a small percentage of us seemed to bother tbh!)

I'm so sorry for your loss if you have a look up thread at my posts I linked to some nice things which you might like. I also have baby shoe charms with each of my children's birth stones in them. Maybe something like that for your baby you lost to keep around your neck next to the finger print charm of your dd?

VegetariansTasteLikeChicken Thu 13-Feb-14 09:40:15

www.giftsinmind.uk.com/fingerprint-jewellery-necklace-p-6.html?gclid=CMLHmevRwbwCFYjLtAodjz0A2A

Also if you aren't keen on anything mentioned here.. I always recommend Etsy.com they have beautiful things and some amazing artists.. if you find someone who does good work you could have something bespoke made that you design and would be even more special?

Flumpy2012 Thu 13-Feb-14 11:14:41

Thank you. I think you're right people have seen it as a push present, which doesn't go down well!

I have a links bracelet that I've never really worn but is very pretty so I might dig it out, have it cleaned and add a charm for DD to it. I like the charm bracelet idea and that you can add to it through the years. I also love the willow tree figurines.

There's a small part of me that thinks my family want to do this and DP to convince me to have another. I'd dearly love DD to have a sibling and am not worried about birth or a baby but the 9 months leading up to it. There's been lots of talk of when we'll have another but for me it's still very much 'IF'

Xx

VegetariansTasteLikeChicken Thu 13-Feb-14 11:37:59

Dd Is still little you have have years to figure out if you want a sibling for her.. she may enjoy being an onlny child! smile

noviceoftheday Thu 13-Feb-14 11:38:42

Oh Flumpy, so glad that your story has a happy ending.

I hope some of the people who posted mean comments feel ashamed. Don't hold your breath though!

Do get something. I haven't gone through even a 1/10 of what you went through, and as I said the little things I have that remind me of my dcs or birth of my dcs, make me smile when I am not with them. All the best xxx

BrandNewIggi Thu 13-Feb-14 12:57:40

I have a bracelet with birthstones for my two children, and also those I miscarried. I was able to add to it as time went on - which was sometimes very sad - but fortunately finishing with a stone for ds2.
Perhaps it would be worth seeking medical advice about whether a future pg is likely to bring complications. It's certainly not up to your relatives to decide for you!

Flumpy2012 Thu 13-Feb-14 13:30:49

Hi brandnew, that's really beautiful that you have stones for the miscarried babies. I like the idea of a bracelet too which can be added to.

I've sought medical advice and sadly there are just no guarantees. I could sail through pregnancy or it could be worse. The only things they've really been able to tell me is that the diabetes and spd will likely return xx

IneedAwittierNickname Thu 13-Feb-14 14:12:55

Flumpy I am sorry for your loss, and would like to apologise for my original comment. It was intented to be a joke, as I knew your post would attract lots of 'you should be glad you got a baby' type posts. That was probably very misguided of me, and also the joke aspect was probably unclear. thanks

And actually, when I thought about it, I realised I did get things, a willow treee figure for each ds, and I bought myself a silver charm for each one smile

BrandNewIggi Thu 13-Feb-14 14:32:34

Thanks Flumpy (should have said their birthstones were due dates, iyswim, since they didn't arrive).
I'm sorry you couldn't get more positive news. I was very pleased to have a second, but my problems came after an uneventful first pg - if it was the other way round I don't think I'd have put myself through the worry. And you've been through so much worse than me.
thanks

Flumpy2012 Thu 13-Feb-14 21:29:24

Thank you and thank you for the apology.

I shall update if I get something.

I'm sorry for your loss too xxx

CaptainSinker Thu 13-Feb-14 23:14:13

I love this

www.notonthehighstreet.com/shonajewellery/product/sapphire-halo-pendant

with the baby's birthstone, name and DOB engraved. So beautiful.

Flumpy2012 Fri 14-Feb-14 00:03:22

Captain - that's really beautiful x

Sharaluck Fri 14-Feb-14 00:21:37

A ring?

I want to get a ring with my dcs birthstones on it when I'm sure I'm done with having anymore.

I think a ring is nice as I never take mine off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now