Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Do you think it is immoral to use battery eggs for an art and craft activity?

(94 Posts)
BarkWorseThanBite Mon 10-Feb-14 10:09:57

Very random question and wasn't sure where to post it grin

I'm in charge of organising the art and craft stall for the playgroup's Easter fundraiser. The activity is for children and involves decorating an egg. You crack it open and discard the egg yolk and white, glue it back together and cover it with pva glue and tissue paper - then add glitter and little sequins. It's not really going to be practical to save the actual egg, though I know you could do this at home.

I'd priced the activity to include buying free range eggs - at 28 pence each. Playgroup Chair looked at my calculations - (cost 35p in total for glue, sequins etc) and says I'm being silly as no one is going to eat the egg - so it doesn't matter if it is free range or not. She says we should use value eggs at 12p each.

For me the point of buying free range is in part that the chickens were kept well. Am I being silly?

ShatnersBassoon Mon 10-Feb-14 10:12:48

No, I wouldn't buy eggs other than free range. They can be bought for less than 28p each though. Half a dozen FR eggs in Morrisons are 97p at the moment.

SundaySimmons Mon 10-Feb-14 10:13:01

No you are not being silly.

I wouldn't want my child using an egg from a chicken who was ill treated.

Mogz Mon 10-Feb-14 10:14:55

Nope you're not being silly, whether the eggs are eaten, painted or thrown at the Chairperson they came from hens in appalling conditions and by buying them you're keeping the practice going.
Also.. Cracking the gigs and sticking them back together? Are you sure you don't want to needle a hole in them and blow them instead?

Impatientismymiddlename Mon 10-Feb-14 10:15:10

When you crack the eggs aren't the shells likely to break in such a way that the eggs are difficult to glue back together? Wouldn't it be better to pin hole and blow the eggs?
Sorry, that didn't answer your question, but I couldn't help wonder about lots of wasted eggs.

littlebluedog12 Mon 10-Feb-14 10:16:33

Could you ask people at playgroup to save eggshells for you, then you can glue them in advance? Then you won't need to buy as many.

But no, I wouldn't buy battery eggs.

hootloop Mon 10-Feb-14 10:16:34

You should use plastic eggs from the pound shop, no food wast and about 15 for a pound.

FoxyBecky Mon 10-Feb-14 10:16:44

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but I always eat the value eggs.

DustyBaubles Mon 10-Feb-14 10:17:03

People will probably object more to the waste of food.

Why not buy a load of those plastic or polystyrene ones, they are very inexpensive.

ShatnersBassoon Mon 10-Feb-14 10:17:44

Great idea, hootloop. Much less faff and waste.

freckledleopard Mon 10-Feb-14 10:18:40

No. There is never any justification for buying battery eggs - whether you're going to cook with them, paint them or throw them at politicians. I cannot understand the mindset of someone buying battery eggs and find myself getting worked up when I see someone with battery eggs at the checkout angry

I do not think you are being silly. The lady who spoke to you obviously has poor understanding of animal welfare.

hootloop Mon 10-Feb-14 10:20:04

AlsO just to let you all know if you only want your children using or eating free range eggs then you should probably ask your schools next time your child cooks.
I help with cooking in both the infant and junior schools my children attend and any eggs are always 'value' along with any other ingredients.

Faverolles Mon 10-Feb-14 10:20:36

Free range chickens in intensive systems generally have as bad a life as battery chickens, worse in many cases.
I really wouldn't worry about using battery eggs.

specialsubject Mon 10-Feb-14 10:20:41

wrong problem. As others note, it is the food waste that is immoral. Go buy some reusable plastic eggs.

SundaySimmons Mon 10-Feb-14 10:20:55

FoxyBecky, I would never buy battery chicken eggs but I think what you do with your money is your personal choice.

ohfuschia Mon 10-Feb-14 10:21:00

No you're not being silly, it's irrelevant whether the eggs are eaten or not, the welfare issue remains the same.

Chopchopbusybusy Mon 10-Feb-14 10:22:12

I only use free range eggs. I agree with the others though that you should buy the plastic eggs. Surely real egg shells would be too fragile unless hard boiled?

NigellasDealer Mon 10-Feb-14 10:22:17

what hootloop said, use plastic eggs. not sure which i object to more, the shocking waste of food when people are going hungry right now somewhere near you, or the unnecessary cruelty of battery farms.

hootloop Mon 10-Feb-14 10:22:37

Really favorolles ? I would be very surprised to learn that.

I think it's a bad idea to use battery eggs. I think a lot more people object to them now.

I'd also complain about the waste of eggs, it's not very sensitive when food poverty is so well publicised and food banks are in use.

TeWiSavesTheDay Mon 10-Feb-14 10:23:10

It's the playgroups money, if they aren't fussed about free range and you are then you need To pay the difference.

It's not your job to force your morals on other people at their cost.

Impatientismymiddlename Mon 10-Feb-14 10:26:25

Free range chickens in intensive systems generally have as bad a life as battery chickens, worse in many cases.

^agree totally with this.

If people don't want to use battery eggs themselves then fine, but for people (as mentioned in a post above) to get worked up about other people buying battery eggs....

Mojang Mon 10-Feb-14 10:29:52

Either way I would hate the waste. Agree polystyrene or similar would be better (and easier for you and the children!)

FWIW I am really suspicious of free range eggs. The rules allow them to be called free range when they really have very little space and appalling conditions. They have to have "access" to the outdoors but if they've been kept indoors since birth, they don't use the access provided. If you can't buy from somewhere you've seen the chickens running about, I'd get organic but will buy cheap eggs in preference to "free range" supermarket ones. I have no science to back this up but have seen free range "farms" and it's not at all what you're picturing when you think of free range eggs. It might be preferable to caged hens but not much.

Mojang Mon 10-Feb-14 10:30:56

Well, that post took me a long time to write grin X (several) post

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now