Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Are you 40 or 41? Do you remember these?

(87 Posts)
AwfulMaureen Sun 09-Feb-14 21:18:05

In school in the 80s....up North, all the girls wore these horrible jacket things that were like pullover jackets...made of some thin anorak-ish fabric...grey or blue and sporty looking.

What WERE they? I clearly remember all the cool girls having them...and pulling them on over their heads at break time. I was there in my M&S royal blue padded jacket...I didn't like their style but wouldn't have said so.

I also remember stone washed denim with a cartoon lining. But the pullover things...were they some special brand?

everydayaschoolday Sun 09-Feb-14 21:20:07

shell suit? Boy, they were awful….

trackerc Sun 09-Feb-14 21:22:48

I cant remember if there were just one brand, but a particular brand was kappa. There were lyle & Scott jumpers, jeans that were long that you cut a bit in the sides to fit over your white stills. Or a denim skirt with ruched pixie boots.
I remember the snow washed jeans with cartoon lining but not sure if it was a brand or just rubbish we all bought at the market. Then joe bloggs flares came in up north
Oh those were the days....

MadameJosephine Sun 09-Feb-14 21:22:52
MrsExtraOrdinary Sun 09-Feb-14 21:23:57

Wasn't a Kagool was it? They used to zip into a pouch. They smelt awful! confused

MrsExtraOrdinary Sun 09-Feb-14 21:25:03

Ahhh Madame I knew I'd spelt it very wrong! but haven't needed to for at least 25 years wink

AwfulMaureen Sun 09-Feb-14 21:25:54

Oh lordy Madame they were too! Just bloody awful! I think there might have been special brands that were cool and brands that weren't...Tracker I remember Kappa being cool! Ew!

I do believe those cartoon jackets were just markety shite...as were those pastel coloured canvass boots that ruched....pink, white, mint green or pale blue....with a denim mini and a nice t shirt in lemon.

Meerkatwhiskers Sun 09-Feb-14 21:27:03

You don't need to be 40 or 41 or from the north to remember them. I'm 36 and from the south lol.

I don't remember them being a particular brand. But I remember everyone had one and I wanted one (but never had one sad)

Also remember the denim jackets with the cartoon lining.

Shell suits were more early 90's I think as we had them for our tenpin bowling league uniform (green and yellow - lovely!).

everydayaschoolday Sun 09-Feb-14 21:30:20

really? 90's for shell suits? <preens self at seeming younger than she really is> (blush I'm forty in a matter of weeks). Yes, cagoule makes sense actually and better than my guess grin

MadameJosephine Sun 09-Feb-14 21:32:25

It must be because I'm old (42) and northern but I remember them well. Alongside pixie boots, neon socks and batwing sleeves!

MooseBeTimeForSnow Sun 09-Feb-14 21:32:44

Ellesse hooded tops?

MooseBeTimeForSnow Sun 09-Feb-14 21:36:01

Or Fila. Worn with a pair of Farah slacks and stilettos.

Anyone remember Wallabies?

AwfulMaureen Sun 09-Feb-14 21:36:52

Ellese yes...and what was that shop....Benetton! My God....owning a Benetton jumper was the be all and end all...for most kids. I didn't give a shite about clothes at 13 but my mate, when we had to sign up for work experience, she chose Benetton just to get the staff discount! She got a pink rugby sweatshirt and wore it to death.

I had a black bardot top that I loved...it was an odd time to grow up in really. I remember a lot of awful news stories and spent a lot of time terrified!

EnlightenedOwl Sun 09-Feb-14 21:38:33

Oh yes - cagoules! And they did smell

IamInvisible Sun 09-Feb-14 21:42:38

Yes, I'm 43 later in the month and from the south and we all had cagoules. Ours folded up into the pocket on the front and had a bit of elastic that could go round your waist to carry it when you weren't wearing it!

Localeditorshropshire Sun 09-Feb-14 21:44:56

I know exactly what you mean, airforce blue on the top and gunmetal grey at the bottom. All the cool kids had them. I think they might have been Nike or a rip off copy from the local market.

MrsExtraOrdinary Sun 09-Feb-14 21:46:41

Neon socks were best if worn odd! My dsis fell down a fire escape in pixie boots that were just too slippy! blush

trackerc Sun 09-Feb-14 21:47:57

Moose definitely remember wallabies. I had mine in a plum shade. Eek.
Benetton then next came along on our high street & we all wanted their stuff. Still do :-)
Boys in farrah, white socks & slip ons. Class. Then they moved onto travel fox.
I like to reminisce about Discos with a last slow dance. It was either
1) amazing as you grinned at your mates over some boys shoulder who had bum fluff you could shave off with a crisp £1 note or
2) anxiety as you got to the end of Glenn medeiros & realised you hadn't been asked.

Filofax Sun 09-Feb-14 21:51:51

Patrick cagoules?

FarToGo Sun 09-Feb-14 21:54:41

Does anyone remember Palladiums boots? Canvas black things, I've seen them around recently again.....
The difference between good and shit wallabies? Shitty creamy sole on the shit ones.
Reversible jumpers.
Kicker boots, the first time round (or was that early 90s?)

AwfulMaureen Sun 09-Feb-14 21:55:44

Local that's it! Yes...I think they might have been Nike. I remember thinking they were ugly and wondering what the fuss was...I didn't want one....I just wondered what gene I was missing that I couldn't DESIRE one.

I did desire those awful boots...the coloured canvass ones. Never got them mind.

AwfulMaureen Sun 09-Feb-14 21:57:04

Far the kids wore kickers shoes in our school...and those cagoules...and carried bags with "La Femme" on them...and a picture of a palm tree in silhouette or some such shite.

Kasterborous Sun 09-Feb-14 21:58:21

I don't remember them, but I remember this craze of school bags being really bright yellow, green, pink or orange. Also matching 'terry toweling' like ankle socks.

Only1scoop Sun 09-Feb-14 22:00:51

I remember those 'la femme' bags.... Think they were grey with pink lines....

AwfulMaureen Sun 09-Feb-14 22:01:50

Scoop my God you're right! I had one...grey with pink fine lines!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now