Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

What's the best holiday you've ever been on?

(63 Posts)
KenAdams Sun 09-Feb-14 20:28:31

I'm still looking for holiday inspiration, so tell me about the best holiday you've ever been on. Names of hotels would be helpful too.

cardibach Sun 09-Feb-14 20:33:44

I can't give you hotel names as the best ones involve moving about to loads of different places. I would advise choosing local hotels not international chains, though.
Touring Morocco and touring Rajasthan were both amazing experiences. If you want something more relaxing, a holiday on board a Turkish gullet was fabulous. Browse the brochures for the Adventure company and Explore, both of which have family sections if you have younger children. They are pricey, and seem more so in the last couple of years, but they are great. You could use them for inspiration to do it yourself anyway.

Ledkr Sun 09-Feb-14 20:36:52

Mexico but not Cancun, it was a little village nearby but beautiful and much less "Blackpool" than. Cancun.
The doors to our room literally opened onto the beach and the kids club was the best I've ever come across.

It was called the blu bay club in Mexico

montymum Sun 09-Feb-14 20:47:54

I was going to say Mexico too. We stayed at the Riu yucatan it was beautiful and right on the beach.

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Sun 09-Feb-14 20:49:27

Touring around Jordan. Wadi Rum, Petra, Jerash, Dead Sea etc.

cornishcreamtea Sun 09-Feb-14 20:52:18

Touring South Africa for a couple of weeks. Without children I hasten to add. As we planned and booked everything ourselves it was thousands cheaper than if we had booked the same holiday through a travel agent.

seventiesgirl Sun 09-Feb-14 20:54:07

Ooh, StillNo did you arrange this yourself or get a package? This is my dream holiday. I've told DS (5) he can come and go camping in the desert but only when he starts eating different foods as 'there's no fish fingers out there'!

awaynboilyurheid Sun 09-Feb-14 20:54:45

It was a cruise round the med on a great ship with all the family daughters aunts uncles and mum and Dad so it was great we all loved it as there was something for everyone , however it can be addictive ......

KenAdams Sun 09-Feb-14 20:56:33

Oh I'm hoping to get ideas for all kinds of holidays so it's great to hear about everything. We went to Mexico on honeymoon and loved it, but it was an adults only resort so we won't be able to go back there, but Mexico itself is a definite possibility. Loving hearing about the touring holidays too as I haven't been brave enough to do one yet.

ProfondoRosso Sun 09-Feb-14 20:58:06

Cape Cod, hands down. I've only ever been in autumn, but there's loads more going on in the summer. Beautiful beaches and landscape, so much history, all the fun of American supermarkets, great food, lovely people (not to generalize, but I never encountered anyone there who wasn't super friendly), ice cream, candy, thrift stores, walking everywhere - so much fun smile

Mishmashfamily Sun 09-Feb-14 20:58:07

cuba it was fantastic . We stayed in Varadero and are returning this September . Been Mexico and other carribean Islands but this own hands down .

Steeped in modern history, the people are so friendly and an unbeatable beach

leadrightfoot Sun 09-Feb-14 20:58:53

A last minute all inclusive deal to Ibiza right at the end of the bonkers season. Cheap, hot, I caught up on all my sleep and actually the food was pretty good! Loads of fresh salads, veg, fruit and of course beer!

Aside from that 3 weeks touring France, Italy, Austria, Germany and Belgium staying in some fantastic little places and eating some utterly amazing food!

Touring South Africa here too. Its surprisingly affordable and easily manageable with kids if you hire a car. Can't wait until Ds can sit still long enough for the flight smile

HazleNutt Sun 09-Feb-14 21:03:03

Best was when I was young and single and driving through Italy with my best friend. We had some serious fun!
But for family, a couple of years ago rented a massive villa in Algarve, in a small village so didn't really see any other tourists. Was great.

MadameJosephine Sun 09-Feb-14 21:03:48

A week in Beijing and a week long cruise around Japan and South Korea - fantastic!

HermioneWeasley Sun 09-Feb-14 21:06:21

Touring the Canadian Rockies with a few days in Vancouver at the end.

Mamafratelli Sun 09-Feb-14 21:06:24

Best holiday ever was Bali with the dc's. We stayed at Villa Agung Khalia in Ubud for 5 nights and villa Melati in Seminyak for 5 nights. Banana pancakes for breakfast looking out over the rice paddies in Ubud, temples, markets and culture, then fab beach bars by the day and night in Seminyak. Unforgettable.

HeyMicky Sun 09-Feb-14 21:06:38

Took the train from London to Beijing: London - Cologne - Moscow - Ulan Batar - Beijing. Nothing to do but look out the window. Completely different world every time you step off the train. Amazing

Normalisavariantofcrazy Sun 09-Feb-14 21:07:31

Best destination was Sicily (not best holiday though)
Best holiday was in Jersey

Creamycoolerwithcream Sun 09-Feb-14 21:08:53

Mine is a tie between two completely different holidays. A trip to Cape Town with the DC which is the most beautiful place I have been to and A Disney cruise around the Med which was pure pampering and we got to take the DC to Rome, Pisa, Barcelona and Pompeii.

Taffeta Sun 09-Feb-14 21:10:21

Pre DC - Zanzibar
Family holiday - Lake Garda

superlambanana Sun 09-Feb-14 21:10:57

One in USA (Las Vegas, Death Valley, Yosemite, San Francisco, LA) and one in Germany (Koenigssee / Berchtesgaden - Bavarian alps). Plus some fab camping holidays in Devon and France smile

ElBombero Sun 09-Feb-14 21:13:38

Would you go Mexico with the DC?

NearTheWindmill Sun 09-Feb-14 21:15:20

I weaned DH off Cornwall by taking him to Brittany and the next year he agreed to go further south. Loved it so much he bought the villa. Have been back there every year since 2006 grin.

Funnily enough the DC still rave about bucket and spade holidays in Cornwall smile.

This year will be the first year we only go down for about 10 days. Anyone got any ideas about something dd and I can do for about 10 days during the first half of July. I'm thinking about Corfu - somewhere lovely and quiet on the North side. Kerasia, St Stephano, possible Kassiopi so we can walk into town?

New York City. Spent 14 days there in spring, loved it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now