Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

What's the highest amount of money you have won or inherited?

(80 Posts)
FoxyBecky Sun 09-Feb-14 18:28:12

I've never won or inherited a single penny.

FoxyBecky Sun 09-Feb-14 18:28:24

Also, what did you spend that money on?

ENormaSnob Sun 09-Feb-14 18:31:33

Nothing at all.

I did win a buckaroo game at haven holidays in 2008 though.

Fortunately, my grandparents are still alive and thats worth more than any amount of money imo.

Preciousbane Sun 09-Feb-14 18:31:33

Won 25, not a clue
Inherited 11k, sat in the bank as being saved for DS.

Bearcat Sun 09-Feb-14 18:32:27

£3000 in 1987 from grandparents.
We bought a 3 piece suite, new cooker (both had previously been secondhand when we bought our first flat).
Also bought a video recorder and a music system.
Can't remember anything else, but it seemed to be a nice sum of money at the time to treat ourselves.

Finabhear Sun 09-Feb-14 18:34:15

I won a bike when I was 16 does that count?
I used it to cycle to school every single day, I really did need that bike.

sleepyhead Sun 09-Feb-14 18:36:17

£3000 from my grandparents. That and dh getting a promotion let me go part-time at work and do an MSc which led directly to my current career.

Everything we have now is a result of that money. I think my grandparents would be delighted by how much it helped us.

ToffeeOwnsTheSausage Sun 09-Feb-14 18:36:22

Inherited £2000. Spent on a small treat for everyone and the rest on living.

I did make £14,000 when I sold my flat though. Spent on 2 kitchens and a second hand car.

MrsPresley Sun 09-Feb-14 18:36:59

I won £7000 at bingo years ago.

I spent most of it on driving lessons and a car, treated the DC to stuff and decorated my sitting room, also took my parents out for a lovely meal.

It was lovely having that amount of money to just do "stuff". This was about 18 years ago and I don't think I've won as much as £5 a the bingo since grin

bakeroony Sun 09-Feb-14 18:39:31

£500 from my great-grandma as a teenager. I remember being shocked as I'd only met her a handful of times. She was lovely and I put it towards my university savings...think she would have liked that.

Won - meh, maybe £10 on a scratchcard I was given at work - when I worked in sales...hmm

MrsDavidBowie Sun 09-Feb-14 18:40:17

£93k when my dad died.
Paid off the mortgage.

ssd Sun 09-Feb-14 18:42:45

jesus mrs! what an amount

I won £24 once on a scratchcard, felt like a millionaire

Ziplex Sun 09-Feb-14 18:43:38

1k from my Grandmother, invested in a water painting even though I was skint at the time.
Now it's tripled in value and will go to my DS... It's know as the G-ma.

GreatSoprendo Sun 09-Feb-14 18:43:55

£90 on the lottery when it first started. I bought drinks for everyone in the pub, and smoked a celebratory cigar. And then it was all gone grin

Timetoask Sun 09-Feb-14 18:43:56

I won £500 a couple of years ago. Luckily my parents are still alive so no inheritance.

BitsinTatters Sun 09-Feb-14 18:50:35

I was left a sum of money when my grand mother life insurance paid out whilst she was still alive (no idea how that works)
I bought a new car. I was 18 and I so wish I had saved it towards a deposit on a house!!

KerryKatonasKhakis Sun 09-Feb-14 18:50:38

I won £100 in a school raffle draw when I was a bout 13. It was bittersweet though; storytime...

The school used to give us loads of tickets to sell and we had to sell a minimum number of 5 (any above that was a bonus and any unsold were returned). I forgot about it until the day before so sold some to my mum and bought 4 myself. I was embarrassed to write my own full name on the tickets because then my form teacher would have known I didn't make any effort. Didn't tell my mum I'd bought the rest because she would have told me off for wasting money (she was already pissed off the school frequently did these minimum sale raffle things).

So on my mum's was written Mrs. K. Katona and on mine were written Ms. Katona. Same telephone number obvs.

Well the phone rang one night asking to speak to Ms. Katona so my mum said 'speaking' and they told her she'd won! She got off the phone really happy and told us all and then mentioned later that it was funny they'd called her Ms. not Mrs. (she only mentioned it because the person on the line had said they weren't sure how to pronounce Ms.).

So I told her it was actually my ticket that had won. Looking back I should have STFU and let her have it, but £100 to a teenager in the '90s was loads!

Well no-one believed me, my whole family turned on me, accused me of lying and allsorts sad My mum simultaneously bollocked my for buying my own raffle tickets and trying to steal her prize confused

Eventually my mum let me have it but made it clear she didn't believe me, was just being a martyr to shut me up.

I spent it on sweets and doc martens grin

And it's not been spoken about since last century.

Obviously, I'm not over it yet wink

pixiegirlishere Sun 09-Feb-14 18:51:36

Won - £40 on a scratch card. Inherited - £10,000 from fil when he died the year before last which went straight into the mortgage.

expatinscotland Sun 09-Feb-14 18:52:25

I won £10 on lotto. Go, me!

RufusTheReindeer Sun 09-Feb-14 18:55:19

30k inheritance from DH great aunt

Pretty much spent it on holidays

We won £790 on the lottery with 5 numbers, I was well miffed, I expected thousands!!

MiL won £80,000 on the bingo 19 years ago which was fantastic. Up until then money was a huge worry for her, it really changed her life for the better, she was able to buy her house outright.It also improved her health no end, the stress vanished.

Creamycoolerwithcream Sun 09-Feb-14 19:00:47

�700 on a Big Brother bet.
�4376 in 18 hours day trading. Not quite the same as winning but still a huge gamble.

AnyFucker Sun 09-Feb-14 19:02:10

Lottery....£150, probably spent on subsequent tickets by now angry

Inheritance £40k...paid off mortgage, still got the bulk of it left to go towards uni funds/retirement etc

AnyFucker Sun 09-Feb-14 19:03:08

What's with the A thing, that is supposed to be a pound sign

impatienceisavirtue Sun 09-Feb-14 19:04:04

26k inherited. Put most it it into a house deposit. House is now worth less than is left on the mortgage left on it. C'est la vie. Ex has the house now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now