Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Do you love your home?

(198 Posts)
juniperjane Sat 08-Feb-14 20:06:52

What do you love about it? What would you change?

Just wondering whether most people who have bought their house totally love it, or settled for something that's just ok to be in a good area, near to a good school etc.

cuggles Sat 08-Feb-14 20:12:39

I moved into my husbands home so I didnt choose it but yes mostly I love it. We have lots of space...a walk in wardrobe I completely love and a good size garden. But it is on a main road...on a fairly dangerous road so we cant just walk out our door and go for a walk/scoot whatever which I dont love and we have limestone flooring throughout downstaira which I really dont love but since my husband really really loves it that is my compromise! Op...what about you?

YellowDahlias Sat 08-Feb-14 20:17:51

Yes. We were lying in bed this morning watching parakeets fly about one of the trees in the park behind our house. Coming home makes me feel calm.

It needs upgrading which we're having to do very slowly. It will take us a good few years to change everything that needs doing.

I love it. I had that "it's the one" moment when I first viewed it, and kept going back just to check it was as lovely as I thought it was blush (sorry to the estate agents who kept having to let me view it!)

I'm almost finished with painting and decorating, but it is pretty much complete. It's calm and spotless, with he odd exotic quirky spaces, and beautiful wooden furniture imported from Asia. I've spent a small fortune on getting pieces I adore and will cherish and am quite prepared to wait for months to save for them rather than buy a cheaper version instantly.

My only wish is that I had three bedrooms not two, as I'm running out of space! grin

KurriKurri Sat 08-Feb-14 20:19:06

I do love mine - it has big windows so is very light, I like the big kitchen - plenty of room for a table and chairs so I can sit and natter with my friend. And I love my garden most of all - I have a little pond with dragonflies and newts, and views out over fields to the back, so that the space around the house feels much larger than it actually is.

Sadly I'm going to lose it all soon as am getting divorced and house will have to be sold. I hope I can find somewhere else that feels as much like home. sad

JupiterGentlefly Sat 08-Feb-14 20:20:23

I hate my house its rented and whilst its dry the interior is 1980's. It has a gas fire from 1976. Nasty cheap carpets. Its rented and I moved here in a hurry. My previous landlord sold up and asked me to leave and as my son was due to start reception I moved to be in catchment. .
but.. my neighbours are lovely. Lots of children the same age as mine. .
its a cul de sac. I let my children out on the street.
My rear faces over allotments. I see the most amazing sunrises.
so I love it and hate it in equal measures.
actually no I wouldn't move for the pros. I rent so will wait and see what fate has in store

13loki Sat 08-Feb-14 20:20:54

I love my house. This morning there were deer in our garden. We have a park next door with an iceskating rink. It's a 15 minute drive (that is through a fairy tale forest) to work. 3 times bigger than our old 3 bed semi in England. 4 double bedrooms. 2 large living rooms. In a small village. Huge kitchen diner. It needs a new bathroom, fire place, windows. I still love it.

JupiterGentlefly Sat 08-Feb-14 20:21:29

Oh and I am south facing which is fab!

TheGirlOnTheLanding Sat 08-Feb-14 20:22:10

I love bits of it: the high ceilings, the big kitchen. But other bits are a work in progress and I suspect I won't ever love it as much as our previous place. This one was a practical choice (right size, right area, on budget) and I don't regret buying it but I still get major house envy from time to time!

WowserBowser Sat 08-Feb-14 20:22:40

Yes. It's only a small terrace but it's always lovely and warm! And we never hear our neighbours.

Simple things.

Although i was it was tidy ALL the time smile

...oh...and had another bedroom for another dc

TwentiethCenturyGirl Sat 08-Feb-14 20:29:47

If it wasn't for the fact that the walls are like paper, then yes I would.

Both sets of next door neighbours are very reasonable at the moment but I live in fear of them moving out and being replaced by noise monsters. And I dread to think what they hear from us...

financialwizard Sat 08-Feb-14 20:32:43

I love my home because it's where my family live. It is an ongoing project, but it is our home.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 08-Feb-14 20:39:19

Yes,I do. I'd like it to be detached and a bigger garage and a downstairs loo but that's being really greedy. I loved the feel of it and we have nice neighbours and near good schools.

Aboyandabunny Sat 08-Feb-14 20:48:43

I do love our cottage for the tranqulity and quiet it offers.
There is plenty of room for Ds and his friends to play outside.
Inside, however is a work in progress with some windows still single glazed and a spare room still used as a dumping ground among others. I love the large lounge and fact I have a utility room though.

K999 Sat 08-Feb-14 20:51:56

Yes I do. I stalked it for over a year when it was up for sale, although the price put me off. After 14 months of it being up for sale I put in a very cheeky offer......and it was accepted! In the end I got it for 70k less than the asking price. It's detached, has 5 bedrooms, plenty of space and DP loves it because it has a detached double garage. I love it because it has a walk in wardrobe and our en suite has a bath! grin

BuildUpMyFence Sat 08-Feb-14 20:53:48

I settled, and thought it was smaller than it was before we moved in so get a pleasant surprise.

MuttonCadet Sat 08-Feb-14 20:54:26

Yes, love love love it.

I never want to go on holiday again, this is my forever home.

It looks gorgeous from the outside, plenty of land, lovely neighbours, inside is small but all the rooms I need.

beginnings Sat 08-Feb-14 20:56:23

Love it. Will love it even more in about 14 weeks when we've finished messing with it - if my marriage survives that long.

MiniTheMinx Sat 08-Feb-14 20:57:00

It's a compromise, we are in the south in commuter-ville but we have ancient woods at the back of the house which is quite nice. I don't like the sitting room, its an odd shape and after eight years, the only room we have never decorated. I don't even go in there anymore, I have such an aversion to it. The hall is nice, the kitchen is too small, the bedrooms are ok and I have my office to escape to, which makes up for it. I will move when the kids have left school.

EauRouge Sat 08-Feb-14 21:00:40

I don't like mine at all. It's on a 1980s housing estate where the houses are packed in, so our back garden is overlooked by about 6 other houses. It's technically a 4 bed detached but it's tiny and badly designed. The ceilings are really low and the rooms pokey. The living room and dining room are all in one, I'd rather have an eat-in kitchen.

Our neighbours are lovely though, which makes it much more bearable.

But I am counting down the years until we can afford to emigrate and get a bigger house with a bigger garden.

Preciousbane Sat 08-Feb-14 21:01:01

I love my house but were moving and I'm really fretting. We are moving to a much bigger house with a really big garden, it is lovely but I have lived in my house for 14 years and its the longest I have lived anywhere my whole life.

Cinnamon2013 Sat 08-Feb-14 21:01:42

I felt nothing when I viewed our place, apart from thinking it was really small and was it really all we could afford in London. We'd had an offer on a period property fall through (this place is newer) and I was still on the rebound. We bought with our heads not hearts. Fast forward a few months we're in and I absolutely love it. We've made it just right for us and the bedrooms and living room are full of light. The area has been the main thing that's made it feel like home, though - lovely neighbours and friendly local shops

BeaWheesht Sat 08-Feb-14 21:01:44

Well it isn't my forever home except it probably is iyswim?

The kitchen pisses me off I'd like a big one with an island and French doors.

Also would like mature trees in the garden and a bigger fourth bedroom.

Things I like:

Playroom
Dd and ds both have lovely bedrooms
The living room is cosy and I think it's quite stylish but homely.

whitesugar Sat 08-Feb-14 21:04:10

I love my house. It is not big, in fact some people would call it tiny, but it is in a great location. I have decorated it the way I like but it is always a work in progress. All the work was mainly cosmetic and people tell me it looks nice. I love my neighbours. They never intrude and rarely do we go inside each other's house but we really look out for each other. There is just a great atmosphere in our neighbourhood. We know everyone in our local shops and always get a friendly welcome. My DC's schools are in walking distance. There is a wide range of ages in our DC from babies right through to folk who have grandchildren. Don't get me wrong it is not some sort of utopia. Everyone has their difficulties. Even though it is small I would never leave such a great neighbourhood to get more space in my house.

ikeaismylocal Sat 08-Feb-14 21:06:10

I really love our home. It is a top floor apartment with windows on both sides so we get sun all day, the living room is huge with 3 windows and enough space for all ds's toys and a large sofa. Our apartment is listed and built around a forrest which also has a playground, swimming pool and bbqs. We are a 5 minute walk from the lake, we ice skate on the lake in the winter and swim in the lake in the summer, we pick wild mushrooms andberries in the forrest yet we live less that half an hour away from central Stockholm ( we are a 3 minute walk from the train station).

The downside is we only have one bedroom. At the moment I love sharing with ds (13 months) but in the future he will need his own room.

Our options are;

Build a wall in the living room so we make a second bedroom. The downside is that I love having a huge living room.

Buy a less charming apartment in the same town ( possibly further away from the train station).

Move 2-3 train stations out and buy a big house for the same price as our apartment ( prices drop rapidly as you go further away from Stockholm even though it would only be 40-45 minutes away from Stockholm center at the most)

Stay living here and hope ds likes extended co-sleeping!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now