Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

I think my flat might be haunted. Please give me another explanation.

(113 Posts)
Koothrapanties Sat 08-Feb-14 19:49:39

Firstly all but two of our big and small spoons have gone missing.

Secondly there is a dripping sound in the hallway. It sounds like water dripping onto the laminate. Since we moved in a couple of weeks ago I have repeatedly checked all around the bathroom door to try and find the water. I can't find anything.

Also you can hear breathing on the baby monitor. It's not dd, it doesn't sound like her breathing and it freaks the hell out of me.

Lastly, tonight the bathroom door locked itself. Dh went to go into the bathroom and couldn't get in. Dd and I were in the lounge, no one was in the bathroom. We had to use a knife to unlock it from the outside.

Please give me explanations for these things because I'm here on my own tonight and I'm feeling a bit freaked out.

expatinscotland Sat 08-Feb-14 19:52:36

The dripping sound may be coming from another flat.

HowAboutNo Sat 08-Feb-14 19:53:48

Sounds strange!

I am a complete scaredy cat so would be freaked out, but reason says there are always explanations. Hold on to that thought!

OhGoveUckYourself Sat 08-Feb-14 19:55:39

Maybe you have a secret lodger. Be sure to keep the bathroom door key on the outside when you are not in there.
How long have you lived there? Is it a new phenomenon?

MrsBennetsEldest Sat 08-Feb-14 19:59:28

Spoons have accidentally been thrown away.

The dripping noise is actually coming from a leak inside the brickwork.

Your baby monitor is set to the same frequency as another in the vicinity.

Your bathroom lock has a fault.

No ghosts smile

And you thought it a good idea to post on MN on a rainy Saturday night, why ? grin

You are going to get 50% it's all woo and 50% ^ well I had a similar experience that I can't explain, here goes^....... which will leave you even more freaked out.

OK..logically:

Spoons - they go missing. It's a phenomenum. That's why I end up buying packs of teaspoons, some bugger hides them.
The water drip - is it definately in your flat, not outside? Have you got UPVC windows, the noise of water on them is intensified

Baby Monitor- you can pick up other peoples if they have the same receptor (but I hated Baby Monitors for this very reason, in case they spoke to me)

The lock- is it an old lock? Is the door a bit sticky from humidity from the bathroom?

These are all very reasonable explanations but I'd be shock in your flat.
I once heard proper footsteps coming downstairs and it was the blardy cat (we had lifted the carpet)

But even DH can't explain the time something grasped my foot at night...and we didn't have a cat then.

Koothrapanties Sat 08-Feb-14 20:05:31

We moved in at the beginning of January, the dripping sound has been since we moved in. The spoons since about a week after. The baby monitor has been just the last week as we have only just started to leave dd alone in the evenings.

We are on the top floor and it sounds like the dripping is just outside the lounge infront of the bathroom door. Both dh and I have searched all around to try and find the water. It just did it as I typed this. No brickwork in that area as it is two doors next to each other with wooden panels above each door.

Dh things the breathing on the baby monitor is a draft caused by the vent above the window, but has no explanation for anything else.

Koothrapanties Sat 08-Feb-14 20:07:30

It can't be outside as the hallway is at the centre of the flat.

Not an old lock at all..

Eek.

You can get some dehumidifier crystals that change colour- you could put them where the water drip noise is to see if there is damp?

The monitor- is there any noise when DD isn't in the room. Can you move the sensor about and monitor different areas?

You don't want me to tell you about the holiday lodge we stayed in do you?
To take your mind off it?

It's creepy.

Koothrapanties Sat 08-Feb-14 20:13:45

I haven't tried the monitor without dd in the room. I will have to try it tomorrow when she isn't in there.

I have felt all around the door frames, all over the floor, it's dry as a bone. Could it be the laminate plank things creaking? I don't know if that is better or not though!

noblegiraffe Sat 08-Feb-14 20:13:48

Dripping = central heating? Is there a water tank above you?

Or it could be the house settling. They often make funny noises. Is it a constant regular drip?

Koothrapanties Sat 08-Feb-14 20:14:17

No I do not!! Thank you very much!!

NiSaBula Sat 08-Feb-14 20:16:34

The breathing could come from a neighbour's monitor and the door could slam and lock itself if it is the type with the lock in the doorknob and the lock is turned. This has happened to our bathroom door, I had to unscrew the handle, it has never locked since. I was once convinced we had a ghost, our coffee/tea caddies on the worktop kept moving, no matter how many times I put them straight. I then realised it was the washing machine vibrating underneath.

Koothrapanties Sat 08-Feb-14 20:16:51

There used to be a tank in the loft from the look of things but there isn't one anymore. It's not at all regular. At the minute it has been dripping every 20 or so seconds, then will drip a few times in quick succession, then nothing for a while.

OK , I'm not offended (much) wink

BankWadger Sat 08-Feb-14 20:18:25

Could the dripping sound be wood worm in the walls? It makes an annoying ticking/dripping sound as it chews. have a look at any wood in the vicinity for tell tale holes. It then needs treating.

Now I know the rattan chairs in my flat are just settling and the door stops fail as you walk past and press the crappy floor boards down, but a part of me still thinks hmm there is something else going on.

(you have a ghost sorry)

Ooooh have you got a tumble dryer? Mine makes a drippy noise where the water condenses.

PerditaXDream Sat 08-Feb-14 20:20:12

Could the drip be from pipes running under the floor? Does it happen at particular times eg after you've used the bath or flushed the loo?

Could it be another sound that you are hearing as a drip- for example the laminate cracking slightly as it settles.

pigleychez Sat 08-Feb-14 20:23:44

We moved into a new house just before xmas. We heard dripping and searched where it could be coming from. No dripping anywhere. Turns out its the pipes for the central heating clonking. Think the rads might need bleeding or something.

Could it be something like that?

plantsitter Sat 08-Feb-14 20:24:13

Is the downstair flat's bathroom under yours? Could it be their bathroom or central heating?

Baby monitor could be picking up a vibration of some sort, or the vent.

Depends what kind of lock it is as to whether that's spooky or not. If it's a bolt, somebody could've not pulled it back very far to get out and then it's expanded with a temperature change (if the heating went on or something).

Spoons of all sizes are slippery little bastards I wouldn't worry about them.

CosyTeaBags Sat 08-Feb-14 20:24:20

Could the dripping be happening in the attic / roof space? Or could it be wood expanding, it sometimes makes a creaking clicking type sound that might be mistaken for dripping?

The bathroom door lock - is it one of those that you turn a dial? If so, I've know a few of those to lock themselves. Ours does it, I think it just sometimes slips to the lock position.

The baby monitor could well be picking up someone else's in a nearby flat. Listen out for other noises like the other parents talking (could be an excellent spying tool!)

Can't explain the spoons, other than thinking that things often go missing when you move house, only to turn up moths later. Maybe you misplaced them in the move?

(I love a bit of woo, but don't want you freaking yourself out tonight!)

Koothrapanties Sat 08-Feb-14 20:28:13

No tumble drier. Will check for woodworm but I don't think it's that. I don't think it's pipes as the pipes all go from the airing cupboard into the bathroom at the other end from the door.

I'm really hoping its the laminate creaking because at least that is kind of normal.

No offense 70, but I'm shitting it already!

I'm just getting more and more freaked out now. Dd just woke up screaming in that half asleep scream (turned out to be wind so I feel a bit silly). But in the garden there is a gate blowing open and closed and it's really creaky. Ah!

emblosion Sat 08-Feb-14 20:29:35

Drip could be from pipework inside the walls or from central heating.

baby monitors can pick up noises from outside the room ( we used to sometimes get disembodied dogs barking on ours) so it could easily have been the wind as your dh said.

Spoons can just get Lost/accidentally thrown away.

Vibration from closing bathroom door could have knocked lock on.

there you go!

Koothrapanties Sat 08-Feb-14 20:32:31

If its not the laminate then let's just pretend it's downstairs shall we?

Yes it's a lock with a dial! <relieved>

I will keep repeating 'spoons are slippery bastards' until I feel better! grin

Now I just need to stop freaking out when the gate blows open and makes it sound like a murderer is coming into the garden.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now