Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Help! What can I do with 250g of plain flour and half a teaspoon of salt?

(26 Posts)
Canipleaseaskwhatyouddo Sat 08-Feb-14 13:58:04

I had planned to be all domestic goddess-y and was going to make blueberry muffins.

So, I sieved the plain flour, added the salt, went to get the baking powder ... Only to find it isn't baking powder I have but bicarbonate of soda! The local shop is too far of a drive to get to.

I have 2 eggs, caster sugar... What else can I make with it?

Anyone?

petitdonkey Sat 08-Feb-14 13:59:19

Shortbread! Blueberry if you fancy it. (assuming you have butter)

RaRayRay Sat 08-Feb-14 13:59:22

Pancakes

Plain flour, 2 eggs milk and water. smile

Canipleaseaskwhatyouddo Sat 08-Feb-14 14:03:15

Great, thanks. Shortbread sounds great. Do I just google a recipe?

Pancakes sound nice but I guess we will have them during the week. When is shrove Tuesday? Is it this week?

Canipleaseaskwhatyouddo Sat 08-Feb-14 14:06:18

Petitdonkey - ok, so how much butter and caster sugar should I use?

petitdonkey Sat 08-Feb-14 14:09:07

This is a Mumsnetter's Recipe and is gorgeous.

Ollie's Shortbread

125g of butter

175g of plain flour, sieved

50g of castor sugar

Heat oven to 150c

Rub margarine/butter into flour and sugar until it resembles breadcrumbs. Knead/squeeze together until mix forms a smooth dough, leaving bowl clean.

Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead again until dough becomes smooth and silky.

Roll out using rolling pin and use a cookie cutter to cut shapes (rounds/hearts/stars etc). I usually make mine quite thick.

Prick with a fork

Place onto baking tray/baking paper

Bake in pre heated oven for 30 to 45 mins. It should still be quite pale in colour and I prefer mine a bit underdone.

Sprinkle with castor sugar then cool on wire tray.

OneMoreThenNoMore Sat 08-Feb-14 14:09:42

Some kind of cookies? Again, assuming you have butter. If you have any chocolate kicking about, bash it up to make chocolate chips to go in the mixture. Or a bit of lemon or orange zest for citrusy cookies/shortbread. Mmm...

Have a look on the bbc good food site, they always have good cookie/shortbread recipes.

TheOnlyOliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 08-Feb-14 14:11:29

Shrove Tuesday is 4 March
HTH

Canipleaseaskwhatyouddo Sat 08-Feb-14 14:12:59

Hmmmm... Thanks petit but I have already sieved 250g of flour (I know I don't need to use it all) but mixed in half a teaspoon of salt.

Will it matter?

BikeRunSki Sat 08-Feb-14 14:13:28

Shrove Tuesday is 4 March this year.

Canipleaseaskwhatyouddo Sat 08-Feb-14 14:13:48

Ah, thanks THeOnlyOlivia. Maybe I will just bag it and make pancakes for brekkie tomorrow...

OneMoreThenNoMore Sat 08-Feb-14 14:18:08

You could double the quantities that Petit has suggested; by the time you've done that I'd guess that any saltiness will be outweighed by the rest of the ingredients.

ILoveWoollyStuff Sat 08-Feb-14 14:19:16

Ok, so you'll have to trust me on this one because it doesn't sound nice when you look at the ingredients list but it's yummy. It does require other bits that aren't on your list. Do you have a loaf tin? Butter or margarine? Dried fruit.
Ok so rub into your 250g of flour 75g butter or marg then add 100g sugar and 250g dried fruit (though you'd get away with less). In a jug mix 1/2 tsp of bicarb with 1/4pt milk and 1.5 tablespoons of vinegar. Give a quick stir and add to the bowl. Chuck it in the tin and bake for 1hr on gas 3 (I think I usually do it at about 140 degrees) just keep an eye on it and skewer test.

Failing that, cream of tartar and bicarb make baking powder in 2:1 ratio, otherwise I think I'd go for blueberry pancakes! grin

leadrightfoot Sat 08-Feb-14 14:22:49

Do you have cream of tartare?
And milk?
In which case crack on with muffins .... Check this link

BICARBONATE

Just add water and knead into flatbreads. Once kneaded, roll out golf-ball sized pieces into circles about 10-15cm and dry fry them until they puff up.

Mumof3xx Sat 08-Feb-14 14:34:44

Playdoh!

petitdonkey Sat 08-Feb-14 14:35:38

here you go!

Canipleaseaskwhatyouddo Sat 08-Feb-14 14:35:58

Sadly no cream of tarter but am now weighing up between the doubled shortbread recipe (would I be able to halve the 'dough' and freeze/keep in fridge for later in the week?) or the loaf that Ilovewoolly suggests.

Thanks everyone!

Canipleaseaskwhatyouddo Sat 08-Feb-14 14:36:40

Although I also like like the flatbreads idea...

Shallishanti Sat 08-Feb-14 14:36:52

I think if you just use the bicarb in place of baking powder it will be OK

ouryve Sat 08-Feb-14 14:37:30

Shortbread is fine a wee bit salty.

OneMoreThenNoMore Sat 08-Feb-14 14:40:00

Yy you could freeze either the dough or bake it then freeze it smile

allrecipes.co.uk/how-to/46/freezing-biscuits-and-cookies.aspx

OneMoreThenNoMore Sat 08-Feb-14 14:40:42

Mmm this thread has made me want to bake shortbread...

TeacupDrama Sat 08-Feb-14 15:29:42

soda bread will need a bit more bicarb then for 250g flour will need buttermilk or normal yogurt

my recipe 340g flour, 1 teas bicarb 1 teasp salt and 290ml buttermilk or natural yogurt ( 1/2 a pint) mix together shape as required slash top sprinkle with flour cook 200c/ number 6 for 30minutes

VodkaGirl77 Sat 08-Feb-14 16:12:29

You've just inspired me to bake for the first time in ages! Just made ilovewoolystuffs cake. Was a bit dubious about the vinegar, but the batter taste ok wink. In the oven now so will see what it tastes like in a couple of hours. Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now