Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Would you leave the rat race to live on a remote Scottish Island?

(269 Posts)
redrubyindigo Fri 07-Feb-14 22:15:37

Quiet, tranquil, wonderful locals, amazing scenery, great school, fresh air. Big enough though to have a small hospital and dentist. Dolphins, eagles, deer, sailing, fishing, art galleries, chemist, hairdressers etc

Turquoise seas and white sand beaches, a small theatre/cinema.

Would you if you could?

BetterTogether75 Fri 07-Feb-14 22:17:50

No, too isolated. I'd move to Brighton if I could afford it. I like the rat race grin

myfriendbill Fri 07-Feb-14 22:18:38

It depends which island.

Sparklingbrook Fri 07-Feb-14 22:19:19

No. Only because I love where I live now. I couldn't leave my family.

I like civilisation a bit too much I think.

bazingasheldon Fri 07-Feb-14 22:19:29

Yes please.

crochetedblanket Fri 07-Feb-14 22:19:43

No way. Rural poverty at its peak. Central London is the place for me grin

nooonit Fri 07-Feb-14 22:20:09

At the drop of a hat!

Velma67 Fri 07-Feb-14 22:20:24

Would there be midges? Midges=Dealbreaker

mawbroon Fri 07-Feb-14 22:20:24

Sounds wonderful.

But have you ever been there in the winter when the rain is horizontal, the wind is blowing at 100mph and all the ferries are cancelled?

Annunziata Fri 07-Feb-14 22:20:30

No!

BrikSchittHaus Fri 07-Feb-14 22:20:47

yes please, be there in a heartbeat.

Kahlua4me Fri 07-Feb-14 22:21:21

Tempting, very tempting! Worth thinking about. Ds would absolutely love it.

Do they need electricians??.....

Sparklingbrook Fri 07-Feb-14 22:22:07

Where's the nearest A&E?
Is there anything for the DC to do, especially as they get older.

MaddAddam Fri 07-Feb-14 22:23:02

No. Too chilly. Maybe a Carribean island or a Pacific island though.

I've had some rather miserable holidays on Scottish islands at the height of summer. A notably bad Outer Hebrides experience. Those beaches are empty because nothing and no=one can stand up on them without being blown away. Winter would finish me off.

Yama Fri 07-Feb-14 22:23:26

Yes, yes I would. Most def.

beanandspud Fri 07-Feb-14 22:23:32

No, sorry, love the idea but wouldn't last very long (and that's coming from a small town rather than the Big Smoke).

MuttonCadet Fri 07-Feb-14 22:23:49

Yes, in a heartbeat smile

Skang Fri 07-Feb-14 22:24:31

No, I've moved around so much and I've realised I'd much rather be near family.

I'd love to go on long holidays there though.

No way.

tatyr Fri 07-Feb-14 22:25:56

I did, in younger days, and was glad i did for so many reasons, although i didn't stay all that long as i moved back to civilisation to be with Mr tatyr, as island life would not have been his choice.

CalamitouslyWrong Fri 07-Feb-14 22:26:01

No. Under no circumstances.

I'm quite happy living in a regional city. I found living in rural Bedfordshire for 6 months too isolated and inconvenient. I'd hate living on an island.

MamaPain Fri 07-Feb-14 22:26:04

No, my DH is diabetic and needs a hospital ASAP on occasion.

Plus everything would be a pain. Deliveries take ages, small communities are insular and have long memories, bet 'speciality' foods are hard to come by.

I like big nights out, Chinese supermarkets, artsy films and being anonymous, would miss all those things.

God no, and I'm Scottish.

It's fucking cold. Proper fucking cold. With wind and extra fucking rain for those who haven't quite discovered how fucking cold it is.

It snowed in Glasgow in June when I was a kid.

Rommell Fri 07-Feb-14 22:28:48

Not Scotland; I couldn't cope with the climate. Winter is bad enough further south. But in common with MaddAddam, a Caribbean or Pacific island would be just the ticket. In fact, I even know which Caribbean island I'd chose as I went there once on holiday (it's not a well known one and I only found it because I was living in the area).

Viviennemary Fri 07-Feb-14 22:29:27

No. It would probably be too cold.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now