Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Do you think milk is bad for you? Hormones etc

(1000 Posts)
Lovinglife123 Wed 05-Feb-14 19:49:43

Was just wondering if anyone else has read the reports on milk being bad for you? As the hormones in it. Apparently can affect fertility- especially red top!
Worried now as I drink loads of milk!
Anyone else cut milk or dairy from their diet and noticed a change?

RainYourRottingMyDhaliaBulbs Wed 05-Feb-14 19:51:42

no but watching with interest i have been told if there is one thing to buy orgainic its milk...

festered Wed 05-Feb-14 19:54:33

I think so. It's designed for calves isn't it, It's a bovine's breast milk. I struggle to see how it could possibly be good for a different species particularly if used in larger amounts.

I've not touched it since I was around 15 but my friend cut it out recently and said she noticed more energy , better skin,sleeping better etc.

Wossname Wed 05-Feb-14 19:56:11

I can't drink milk anymore, the thought of it turns my stomach. I haven't even looked into hormones and conditions cows are kept in, I just don't like the thought of what it is anymore.

Haven't noticed any change since stopped drinking it a year ago, but I still eat cheese so not cut out dairy really.

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 05-Feb-14 19:58:38

I think it is. I feel much much better cutting it out completely. I've always hated it any way. Any thing with cream makes me feel bloated and very very "full" I think I've probably got a slight intolerence I it because I never feel right after consuming it.

It's vile vile stuff.

I don't drink milk anymore. I still eat dairy products but the idea of drinking milk turns my stomach. I tried soy for a while but didn't like the aftertaste.

GwennieF Wed 05-Feb-14 20:00:04

God I hope not, I drink gallons of the stuff!

BirthdayMuppet Wed 05-Feb-14 20:01:44

Given that we don't use artificial growth hormones in the EU, nor habitual antibiotics as opposed to treatment antibiotics, the hysteria on what's in milk is exactly that, hysteria. However if drinking too much milk disagrees with you, then cut down by all means. I find too much dairy bungs me up and gives me sinus problems, do I happily drink it in coffee, but don't have much on cereal and don't eat too much yoghurt, cream, ice cream etc. But no, I'm not worried about 'hormones' etc.

craftysewer Wed 05-Feb-14 20:02:38

I've not drunk milk for 30 years since I realised I actually didn't like it. I just stopped over night. Couldn't imagine having to drink it now.

bakeroony Wed 05-Feb-14 20:04:36

My ancestors were the first to develop farming so I really couldn't betray my heritage by giving it up.

Load of bloody hysteria. I would feel I had significantly reduced quality of life if I had to give up cheese and ice-cream (just polished off a lovely Mars Bar ice-cream) so the day I give up dairy is the day I give in to believing all the DM-type tripe.

justdrankacappuccino Wed 05-Feb-14 20:10:22

Err... I drink gallons too!

stargirl1701 Wed 05-Feb-14 20:16:30

No.

Northern Europeans of Northern European descent are adapted to drink cows milk. There was a study using epigenics to trace the evolution of the genes to tolerate milk. Being able to thrive on cows milk gave our ancestors an evolutionary advantage and those who could drink milk were more likely to survive to adulthood and procreate.

This is not true for other areas in the world.

bakeroony Wed 05-Feb-14 20:20:51

I'm about as Northern European as it's possible to be (traced my family tree extensively in all directions) with a mtDNA link to Turkey, who first farmed. There's no [way] I'm giving up milk. My foremothers probably lived off it!

stargirl1701 Wed 05-Feb-14 20:23:14

The study went back 10 000 years grin Hard to trace the tree that far!

I listened to a R4 documentary about it. Utterly fascinating.

Having said all that, if I were in the US I wouldn't drink cows milk unless it was organic. I really disagree with their dairy farming norms.

BucketsnSpades Wed 05-Feb-14 20:25:06

I have PCOS i gave up milk in an attempt to conceive it worked twice. Never conceived while i have been drinking milk. Obviously this represents a completely scientific test and all other factors were probably eliminated in my scientific test which should really now be published in the New Scientists Journal as a break through. It worked for my friend too. Which just proves the theory beyond all doubt.

stargirl1701 Wed 05-Feb-14 20:26:43

gringringrin Bucket gringringrin

bakeroony Wed 05-Feb-14 20:27:12

My mtDNA link goes back 10,000 years to a tribe from the Middle East smile the first farmers who took their milk-drinking ways to Europe. So you can all blame my Granny!

stargirl1701 Wed 05-Feb-14 20:29:38

I love stuff like this! Epigenics is so fascinating. Ahhh, science! I luffs you grin

No, not in the EU.

There is a lot of scaremongering about milk online but it all applies to countries outside the EU, and mostly applies to the US.

There are quite a lot more laws here and generally food is safe, barring horse meat scandals of course (but IIRC even that wasn't unsafe as such, just labelled incorrectly)

No. I love milk. Drink full-fat, organic, non-homogenised stuff and it is delicious.

I have A+ blood group, which possibly means I am a viking and therefore more tolerant to it, or something wink

I drink sugar water....

Not sure what percentage is milk, but Vietnam doesn't "do" dairy.

I've found laughing cow and yogurt at markets in 38 C heat.

stargirl1701 Wed 05-Feb-14 20:55:38
Lovinglife123 Wed 05-Feb-14 21:02:41

I just don't know what to think now!
We are the only species to drink milk in adulthood. No other animal does this! Isn't natural I suppose.
I can't open the BBC link sad
Thanks for all your comments!
Maybe I have read the DM too much haha!
Xxxx

stargirl1701 Wed 05-Feb-14 21:10:00

Humans do a great deal that no other animal on earth does. That's why we are such a successful species. We can adapt in ways no other species on Earth could dream of!

aintnothinbutagstring Wed 05-Feb-14 21:12:49

I just can't tolerate it, not sure about the hormone thing.It gives me really bad rhinitis and stupidly watery eyes, its annoying enough to make me avoid it mostly. I have goats milk, goat cheese even goat ice cream!

You may have a point about hormones, my mum brought us up on skimmed milk and I had terrible acne until I left home at 22 and switched to full fat. And its products with skimmed milk powder that affect me the worst with the rhinitis.

This thread is not accepting new messages.