Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

What is the strangest 'wrong number' phone call you've ever had?

(173 Posts)
bigbluebus Wed 05-Feb-14 10:56:30

I'm stuck at home as DD is off school poorly. The phone just rang and when I answered it I thought the caller said "Is that Trina" but wasn't sure, so I asked him to repeat what he had said. He repeated it again and again it sounded like "Trina" but then he elaborated and said "Training for mini diggers" - he had what sounded like a Geordie accent hence the confusion at the 1st word smile. So I politely explained that he had rung a private household and I was not the business he wanted. But I just wondered what bizarre 'wrong number' calls other have received or indeed made themselves.

CluelessNewbie1 Wed 05-Feb-14 11:01:47

I've had one where the caller asked for Jane, I explained he had the wrong number, he then asked me what Jane's number was... Very odd. Wonder if he ever found Jane!

isitme1 Wed 05-Feb-14 11:02:26

I saw a exercise bike in a second hand shop
I rang the number that was on the shop window and I said
how much is the bike outside
The man replied
whaaat theres a bike outside my house?
I could just imagine the confusion on his face.
Ahh it was a propee LMAO moment

Slapntickleothewenches Wed 05-Feb-14 11:04:16

Since Saturday I have received numerous calls and texts from a man who is convinced I am his mate Radar hmm
He clearly has a new phone and has put his mates number in wrong. However much I protested that I was not Radar he would reply with grammatical wonders such as "u fukin funny u gimp" and "fone me nutta"
I finally had to break out my best PA texting and have heard nothing since- shame really as none of my real friends are so diligent at keeping in touch grin

SomethingkindaOod Wed 05-Feb-14 11:05:30

Christmas before last I got a very cheerful Happy Christmas message on my phone from what turned out to be a rather drunk and excitable woman. I let her know she had the wrong number and it turned into a half hour texting session! She phoned me to apologise a bit later on. Odd, but lovely and very seasonal grin

spiderlight Wed 05-Feb-14 11:05:32

I once had one that culminated in me phoning the local hospital for a little old lady, checking her appointment time and then ringing her back to give it to her. She was lovely.

Faverolles Wed 05-Feb-14 11:07:19

I had a phone call from someone wanting to talk to my sister, but it was a completely random call, they had written the number down wrongly and it turned out to be my number.
They were surprised, but very grateful as I gave them the right number.

SorrelForbes Wed 05-Feb-14 11:08:11

I used to get frequent (about once a fortnight) calls from what sounded like an older man trying to speak to 'Dave'. Dave was obviously his son/SIL but he never asked for him, he just said "Hello Dave/son, I'll be bringing the car round now/I've put the bins out/can you open the garage for me/what time do you want to take this to the tip". He used to leave these messages on the answerphone too.

I did tell him he had the wrong number but the calls continued for about two years.

KurriKurri Wed 05-Feb-14 11:11:14

We have a similar number to a local pub, and I once got a call asking 'Is that the Cock?' - I had to resist the temptation to say 'no he's out, can I take a message' grin

mypussyiscalledCaramel Wed 05-Feb-14 11:11:19

I had a woman try and convince me I was a taxi firm once. In the end I took her details and what time she wanted picking up.

I've also been rung several times in one day. Each time I told her she STILL had the wrong number

ScrambledSmegs Wed 05-Feb-14 11:13:12

We used to get answer phone messages from an agricultural animal feed supplier, asking if we wanted to renew our order and please call them as there was a problem with our account. We live in the middle of a city. Couldn't call them back as number withheld.

They eventually left their number and I called them to explain that they'd got the wrong number in their system for 3 bloody years and the woman I spoke to was very annoyed at me hmm. I didn't have to call and tell them.

Valiant1 Wed 05-Feb-14 11:14:57

we used to have an old lady ring us every Sunday to speak to her daughter, every Sunday we would tell her she had the wrong number and she would say oh i am a pest, I started just chatting to her in the end grin

Not a call but a text message the other day:

" Hi Marie, just want to say thanks for earlier and I hope you aren't to sore wink thanks also for letting me keep your dirty knickers and can you keep todays for me please. Hope the 2 pics weren't to rude for you ha! Off to work now so will text later xxxx scott"

DH was slightly shock when I showed him grin

TwoLeftSocks Wed 05-Feb-14 11:16:18

I got a voicemail on my work phone a few years ago from a lady with a lovely West Country accent saying how one of the cows in the bottom field was looking really rather poorly, could I pop round please. And if she wasn't at the house, she'd be down in the field, or possibly in the barn if she managed to get the cow up there.

I rang her back to explain I wasn't the vet and lived several counties away. She was very nice. Don't know what happened to the cow.

TwoLeftSocks Wed 05-Feb-14 11:17:41

MrsAlwaysRight, I hope he didn't text you the pics too!

Florin Wed 05-Feb-14 11:19:12

We have a similar number to a pub so regularly have messages on our answerphone asking to book a table. Some just assume as they have left a message it is booked so they are in for a nasty surprise when they turn up.

TwoLeftSocks sadly he didn't grin

Blankiefan Wed 05-Feb-14 11:20:21

A few years ago DH got a call asking if he was the Meatloaf impersonator. To this day, he still regrets not saying "I would do anything for love, but I won't do that"... He just wasn't quite quick enough!!

Beehatch Wed 05-Feb-14 11:21:00

I had someone ask for <DPs> name once. I explained he wasn't in, but took a name and number. DP later rang him back and it took several confused minutes before they worked out the chap had called the right name, but the wrong number!

MadamNoo Wed 05-Feb-14 11:22:10

Head: hello, is this LittleNoo's mum?
Me: Yes
Head: I'm afraid I need to have a serious talk with you about his behaviour
Me: Oh de..
Head: oops, oh no, it's not your LittleNoo it's the one in year 6, sorry..(hangs up)

SofaKing Wed 05-Feb-14 11:22:53

Kurri and MrsAlwaysRight, you made me laugh out loud.

I was once phoned by people looking for a takeaway. I explained we were a private house and they had the wrong number. They then phoned twice again immediately and were very cross with me for still being on the end of the line. They were somehow unable to grasp that dialling the same number repeatedly will not turn it into the right one!

TunipTheUnconquerable Wed 05-Feb-14 11:23:06

I once had a phone number that was one digit different to a taxi firm, and I got loads of calls from drunk people just before closing time. One woman refused to believe I wasn't a taxi office and after me explaining over and over again, she asked, 'So are you going to send me a taxi or not?'
Me: 'Nope. I'm not a taxi firm.'
Her: 'Well that's not very good, is it!' and slammed the phone down.

CouthyMow Wed 05-Feb-14 11:25:22

The one I had yesterday, on my home phone, when I had an obviously French woman saying something in French. I am in England with an English phone number. She then realised her mistake, and apologised in English and said "quittez, quittez"

confused

JoinTheDots Wed 05-Feb-14 11:26:51

Our home number used to be a doctors surgery, back in 2004, we still get calls for doctors appointments and messages left to call people back re: MMR vaccines or whatever.

One older lady literally did not believe me when I said she had the wrong number because "the district nurse gave it to me this morning! You MUST be the surgery!" I assured her I was not, and told her the actual number, but I am sure she thought I was lying.

bigbluebus Wed 05-Feb-14 11:34:43

Some of these make mine look really boring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now