Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

If you don't shop in aldi through choice, would you go back to your old supermarket if your circumstances changed?

(14 Posts)
17leftfeet Sat 01-Feb-14 14:04:47

Just been shopping on a Saturday lunchtime -asda would have been heaving and stressful but I was in and out in half an hour having done a full week's shop in under 30 minutes and spent under £40

It just got me thinking what possible incentive is there for going back to one of the big shops?

If money were no object I'd shop in Waitrose just because it's such a nice shopping experience. I think I'd still go back to Aldi though for some things that we love.

I hate big supermarkets now since I've been shopping at Aldi. I barely went in anyway as I used to just get Ocado delivered

But it really does take me 30 minutes to get a whole weeks shop - it's fab! It's only 3 minutes from my house as well so it's very easy.

I've just changed to aldi because I'm seriously lacking in funds, but there are some things I'll have to go elsewhere for. if money were no question I would shop online at Asda and not faff round different places but needs must. so far we have liked most things but hated the pork chops, am hoping to debrand snob myself as I am a total brand snob and would chose the branded version overtime if I could but last week's shopping proved it wasn't necessary in some things

Chopsypie Sat 01-Feb-14 15:11:41

I started shopping at aldi through necessity but I still not even though we don't need to.

Cheaper, faster and I cook properly more as there isn't such a big choice of packet mixes and jarred sauces!

I also agree with their business ethics more than other supermarkets (well paid staff, good training, lots of investment etc)

Dawndonnaagain Sat 01-Feb-14 15:17:22

I go to Aldi because I like it. I have choices, but prefer Aldi, wouldn't go back if you paid me.

ineedsomeinspiration Sat 01-Feb-14 15:22:07

Would love to be able to shop in waitrose more. Other supermarkets vs aldi not really bothered.

ineedsomeinspiration Sat 01-Feb-14 15:24:09

oh and our aldis is often busy, queues to get in the car park etc. Especially on the last Saturday of the month.

Bonkerz Sat 01-Feb-14 15:30:54

For me it's not about the £ (although it would be nice to save some obviously) it's about time! I work a 40 hour week and when I'm not working I have 4 DCs (eldest autistic) so going shopping would be a nightmare! I do online shopping with asda. their delivery charge is £15 per three months and I tend to spend about £300 per month for a family of 6

MrsBearWasTired Sat 01-Feb-14 15:34:44

I would probably still shop there- would love to be able to just do the food shop without worrying about the cost or where to go and to pop luxuries in to trolley without justifying it.

TeacupDrama Sat 01-Feb-14 15:36:32

I actually do most of my shopping in aldi for fruit veg basics and waitrose for the exotic bits plus local butcher for most meat etc

AngelinaCongleton Sat 01-Feb-14 15:39:54

No. I don't shop there for money alone although the saving is breath taking. The 30 minute shop experience is just fantastic and not worth me staying in for a tesco delivery now. My head hurts in large supermarkets now.

stickysausages Sat 01-Feb-14 15:44:59

Angelina I agree! Felt faint in Sainsbury at Xmas time, too bright, too noisy, too much choice! Aldi feels like going to a supermarket when you're on holiday smile

TeWiSavesTheDay Sat 01-Feb-14 15:45:15

We did yes. We always had to go on to a 2nd supermarket for certain bits anyway so it was easier to go to one and pay a bit more.

Now we shop online anyway. (3 under 5 supermarket shopping anywhere at all is hell)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now