Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Where did you go on your Secondary School residential trips?

(85 Posts)

Just comparing my trips - a week in Germany in year 7 and a week in the Lake District in year 8 to DS's trips. He is off to the Battlefields this year and has the opportunity to go Skiing next year.

themessyapron Fri 31-Jan-14 22:11:27

St Ives in Cornwall and New York. Both art trips.

Maybe a PGL thing.

Very lucky.

They had football trips to Canada too, netball in Barbados...

really1234 Fri 31-Jan-14 22:12:05

I did a week in the Channel Islands in yr 7, two weeks in France in yr 10, 2 weeks in Germany in yr 11, 2 weeks in another part of France in yr12. There were also skiing trips each year which I didn't go on and every two years there was a cruise in Egypt and around that area.

It was a state grammar school in an affluent area.

DS is going skiing in a couple of weeks (yr8), which is open to yr8 upwards. He will have a yr8 trip to Germany for a few days, after that I'm not sure. He is at a state comprehensive in a reasonable area but nowhere near as affluent as where I grew up.

themessyapron Fri 31-Jan-14 22:12:17

I think there was skiing too and German and French exchange trips. God knows how parents afforded/afford it!

really1234 Fri 31-Jan-14 22:12:56

There were also primary trips in yr 4 and yr6 for DS but in the uk and 3/4 days each PGL type things.

Normalisavariantofcrazy Fri 31-Jan-14 22:13:06

Day trip to France and Belgium, 4 day trip to Brittany, German exchange

My sister went to Spain with her school, my brother went skiing and to Vienna with his

I feel hard done by

mrsjay Fri 31-Jan-14 22:13:58

I was never allowed to go on any trips <bitter>

NoIamAngelaHernandez Fri 31-Jan-14 22:16:13

Fifth year Geography field trip to the Medina Valley Centre, Isle of Wight. Awesome smile

TheBigBumTheory Fri 31-Jan-14 22:17:05

We had one day trip to Dinnet, which is only funny if you live in north East Scotland. A teacher took us on a 'nature trail' and tried to tell us a frog was a toad..grin

MrsMot Fri 31-Jan-14 22:17:15

In 5th yr retreat to a Catholic centre. Ghastly.

springlamb Fri 31-Jan-14 22:17:43

France on Yr 7, Butlins activity week in Yr 8, Geography field trip to Sussex in Yr 10, and cruise to the Canaries summer between Yr 10/11.
I was very lucky and my big sisters hated me as we'd been too hard up for them to have the same opportunities.
They got over it in time to celebrate my 40th with me.

mrsjay Fri 31-Jan-14 22:17:56

Oh i tell a lie i went to a History fayre thingy medieval market in the next town , angry

neiljames77 Fri 31-Jan-14 22:17:57

Not residential but day trips; Because mine was a grammar school, we didn't get taken on good days out to places like Alton Towers and other theme parks like the comprehensive kids did. We had to go on crappy educational trips to castles and museums.

Yama Fri 31-Jan-14 22:18:03

I went to Taize in France. We stopped in Paris on the way there. Cracking trip.

Oh yes, DS did PGL in year 5 and 6 too.

Scarletohello Fri 31-Jan-14 22:19:22

In the eighties had a week in Paris and one in Salzburg, Austria. Great fun!

StarWarsStanley Fri 31-Jan-14 22:22:24

Belgium and Paris I think. Was ages ago.

ZombieBelle Fri 31-Jan-14 22:25:09

Paris, it was awful

LBOCS Fri 31-Jan-14 22:26:42

Skiing in America, residentials in Kent and Dorset, A level trip to Somerset, Paris, Sri Lanka, and German exchange.

SuburbanRhonda Fri 31-Jan-14 22:28:04

The Isle of fucking Man, in 1970.

Bloody awful trip. To give you a flavour, the best day was spent on the beach.

With nuns grin

VivaLeBeaver Fri 31-Jan-14 22:28:17

Yorkshire outward bounds.

One of the local state schools also has a netball trip to Barbados MessyApron.

Dd's so far had the chance of a wwII battlefield trip, day trip to Calais, skiing in Austria, five day trp to Munich (flying), two week trip to China and a PGL trip. Only wanted to do the Munich trip.

Why was it awful, Zombie ?

BopToTheTop Fri 31-Jan-14 22:28:39

PGL type trips in years 4, 5 and 6
Year 7- 5 days team building in wales and 4 day in Germany (I think it was 4)
Year 8- 1 week camping on the Isles of Scilly
Year 9- Belgium
Year 12- sports tour to Malaysia and Singapore
Year 13- Hawaii

State school but with selective entry, most parents came from pretty wealthy backgrounds

I have never agreed with taking children out of school for holidays but things like this do make me think about the 'educational value' of the trips that schools host when compared to a trip that parents may offer a child confused

nickymanchester Fri 31-Jan-14 22:29:38

Fourth year geography field trip to the Lake District - or was the is the Peak District? Not too sure

tb Fri 31-Jan-14 22:30:14

7 day cruise on the SS Uganda to celebrate the cetenary of the trust to which the school belonged. There were also skiing trips and a trip to the USSR - from memory, but didn't go on those.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now