Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Can't stop thinking about one of my pupils (may be upsetting)

(34 Posts)
PintameelCielo Fri 31-Jan-14 21:45:51

Child (6. 6 years old) has a terrible homelife, SS are involved. I won't say any more.

Five minutes before the bell they said 'Mrs P, I don't want to go home'.

sad

I just could cry for them.

Sorry for the depressing post, but I have to get it out and I know I can't IRL.

sad terrible in what way?

Sparklysilversequins Fri 31-Jan-14 21:48:29

sad That must be hard to hear.

Twighlightsparkle Fri 31-Jan-14 21:48:52

I'm sure you will have done all you can to make school life good for this child. You can only do what you can.

Xxxxx

iheartdusty Fri 31-Jan-14 21:49:08

oh OP.

at least s/he can tell you how s/he is feeling, and you can make sure that school is a brighter part of his/her life. That is a good thing.

MissWimpyDimple Fri 31-Jan-14 21:49:25

Do you know what's going on?

TheZeeTeam Fri 31-Jan-14 21:49:55

Poor kid sad At least they have you on their side x

PintameelCielo Fri 31-Jan-14 21:50:48

I'd prefer not to say any more about their home life.

Thank you.

TheBigBumTheory Fri 31-Jan-14 21:51:10

Would you feel better if you could meet with the sw, or have you already? It must be heartbreaking to hear those words from a small child who you know well, and be limited in what you can do.

Preciousbane Fri 31-Jan-14 21:53:10

You obviously have to be careful writing on here, I feel very sorry for both the child and yourself.

It sounds like you really need to offload somehow but not sure of a way anonymously. There must be some kind of telephone help somewhere. Maybe Samaritans as you don't have to give your name or any names or locations.

Joules68 Fri 31-Jan-14 21:53:11

Did the child realise it was the weekend?

Op, please pass that on

shouldnthavesaid Fri 31-Jan-14 21:54:41

When I was in secondary school I had a lovely teacher. I used to stay in her room usually about twice a week just studying, or reading, until long after school, and then get the bus home in time for my tea.

I loved it in her room - it was so very peaceful and quiet, and she said encouraging things to me. It was so far removed from where - quite like you describe, we had a lot of ss involvement and things weren't pleasant.

It made such a huge difference. I managed to tell her things in those afternoons and she just listened - didn't offer advice, or talk about herself, as others often would, but just listened to me.

Could never thank her enough for allowing me to sit there those afternoons.

You'll be making a huge difference to that child's life just by being there - how fantastic a teacher you must be for him to able to confide in you. I know it must be awful knowing your hands are tied but just being there, providing a safe and supportive environment for them, can make such a huge difference.

DavidHarewoodsFloozy Fri 31-Jan-14 21:55:04

sad, I don,t know what to say. You and school give her some comfort and respite.

It,s very sad that she said that.Jesus, I just want to pick them up and run, when I hear/witness such things.

You sound lovely, please try and have a have a good weekend.thanks.

Do you have concerns not enoughs being done?

AntiJamDidi Fri 31-Jan-14 21:55:09

That's really hard. I've had similar in the past but obviously can't say more either.

ContinentalKat Fri 31-Jan-14 21:55:51

You must be a really nice teacher if the child trusts you that much. By making school a safe heaven you're doing a wonderful thing thanks

PintameelCielo Fri 31-Jan-14 21:56:42

The SW I've met seems a bit of a chocolate teapot but I know they can't go into much detail.

Even this thread has helped. Although you are all being too nice and setting me off again!

Poor little mite.

Most of DD's friends like school, but they all look forward to the weekend. It must be terrible at home for him

sad.

TheBigBumTheory Fri 31-Jan-14 21:58:18

Pinta

I'm trying to work out your name? Is it something in Italian!

Passmethecrisps Fri 31-Jan-14 21:58:23

If you have passed on whatever you can then you have done all you can. It is awful and heartbreaking.

The problem is that none of us have any proper outlet for this. Well, aside from it happening in the first place. Try to let it go as much as you can and trust that you are being there just by being a trusted adult

shouldnthavesaid, your post made me well up a little.

Poor little soul MrsP and it's coming up to Half Term too.

Imagine their homelife without the respite of school (not trying to make you feel worse BTW, just thinking 'out loud' ) sad

PintameelCielo Fri 31-Jan-14 22:02:29

It's Spanish- Pintame el cielo, you paint the sky for me!

Even writing it down helped the guilt a lot. Thank you all flowers

NormHonal Fri 31-Jan-14 22:02:48

You sound lovely, OP.

I go into school to help every now and again, and one of DD's classmates is always begging to come to play. For various reasons I also cant talk about, it just can't happen, but I would love to bring her home and feed her up, help her with her school work, wash her and her clothes, and just give her a huge hug. sad

HunterWellies Fri 31-Jan-14 22:03:12

Oh op, I've been there, with a yr2 pupil as well. It's so heart wrenching. I would rather have a million snippy comments about the wrong reading book than one child in trouble that you just can't take home and fix.

Just do what you can in the time that you have. You can't do any more.

NearTheWindmill Fri 31-Jan-14 22:04:21

shouldnthavesaid I am sorry and I hope life is better now.

Six is too small to have a bad life but it isn't too small to have a great teacher thanks. He will probably remember a teacher like you for the rest of his life smile.

It is brilliant that he finds comfort at school.

It's the weekend now; you need to switch off and enjoy it so you can give him and all the others quality time on Monday. You make a difference and you musn't make yourself ill over it.

>>>hugs<<<

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now