Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Your thoughts on this house...

(96 Posts)
tigerpug Fri 31-Jan-14 20:15:27

What do you think of this house - layout, decor etc
All opinions welcomed, and don't worry, its not ours!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29031006.html

steppemum Fri 31-Jan-14 23:02:24

I think it is a lovely house.

The things I wouldn't like are:

the utility is miles away from kitchen etc so I would always be forgetting to get the washing out! (especially is conservatory isn't year round use)

I would only like a kitchen which can have a table. This would be a big thing for me.

It is very isolated, I have live in a small village and I hated having to drive everywhere for everything.

But it really is a beautiful house, big light airy roome

Love it.

fledtoscotland Sat 01-Feb-14 09:10:16

Lovely house but would need a job-lot of poly filler once all those pictures are taken off the walls!

tigerpug Sat 01-Feb-14 11:32:38

Wingdingdong - truckers!

GossamerHailfilter - possibly, from the way the owner held on to it when my boisterous toddler asked if he could look inside

LEMmingaround - thanks for the lowdown, we would definitely need a builder, and the non-sheep neighbours sound lovely. Newsflash, the village now have buses, well, 2 a day I've been told!

charlieandlola - every house down here feels reasonably priced after living in London!

Im so fecking fed up with this house buying lark. I really thought we would be sorted after almost 2 years of renting. I know we have to make compromises, and we are happy to do that, but i can't get my head around not having a proper village pub. I can probably live with the lorries but not without a pub! Walking away from this house will hurt, we couldn't afford anything like this in our favourite villages. Thanks all

enriquetheringbearinglizard Sat 01-Feb-14 12:30:26

That's the bugger of it though, those houses that nearly suit and you can only afford them because they haven't got everything you need.
If you could pick it up and put it where you want it, it wouldn't be the same money sad
We've all been there.

yankeecandlebabypowder Sat 01-Feb-14 14:09:33

Beautiful hose, but all there is to do is change the decor, those curtains.......yuck!

Applefallingfromthetree2 Sat 01-Feb-14 14:19:05

Love it! Seems a good price too. Love the kitchen

However would definately change the decor in the rest of the house. I agree that it's far too fussy

LEMmingaround Sat 01-Feb-14 14:25:47

What about barham or elham? sort of the other direction and a bit further out of canterbury but some nice villages.

Also, there is wingham or littlebourne on the preston side. Ickham is nice and not far from preston, DP was involved in some barn conversions around there and we went for what we thought was going to be a quiet meal at the village pub as DP knew its food was good. and i think he may have had a couple of lunch breaks in there We ended up staying til 4am and i was hit on by the local bobby (who wasn't a man!) It made me want to live there, but we couldn't afford it smile

UsedToBeNDP Sat 01-Feb-14 14:29:19

I don't know the location but it looks very pretty. Looks to be in nice condition.

tigerpug Sat 01-Feb-14 14:40:51

LEMmingaround Love Barham and Elham but they are both too far from Canterbury West where DH commutes from. Even Preston is pushing it in terms of distance from the station. Love Wingham and Littlebourne but unfortunately so does everyone else so prices are pushed up. Ickham & Wickhambreaux would be our top choice, I love that pub and we are there almost every weekend at the mo (as is the celebrity chef!). We decided that if we could walk through the fields from Preston to the Duke we would buy the house - after 1 hour of walking in water touching the top of our wellies we weren't even halfway there and had to walk all the way back in a bad mood!

VelvetSpoon Sat 01-Feb-14 14:44:30

It's lovely BUT the layout isn't great. Kitchen is too small, utility room too far from kitchen. I don't personally like through lounges, or rooms leading off other rooms. Nor the lack of shower.

Some of those things can be changed, but for the money, I'd want a house that ticked all boxes, not one I'd have to do work to for it to work for me, if that makes sense!

tigerpug Sat 01-Feb-14 14:52:22

VelvetSpoon You're right. On my list if we bought the house (which would take all our money anyway) would be knocking the wall between the kitchen and double reception and spreading the kitchen into the back room, which would mean we could fit the dining table in too. The front reception would have a comfy sofa. The original dining room would be untouched, but would become a grown up living room. Then wooden floors throughout, update with kitchen with new doors & worktop. Upstairs install a shower in the en suite. And remove the spotlights & replace the coving downstairs. Then de-frou and redecorate.

All this work could be done over time and then the house would be perfect for us BUT what if we do all this work and decide we don't like the road/traffic/lack of stuff to do in the village.

I hate moving house and intend to do this as few times as possible now, we moved around so much before we had the DCs. Im a bit of a saddo, just want the DCs settled, a nice place to rest my head, and a big dog.

WireCat Sat 01-Feb-14 14:59:48

It's a lovely house but like others have said, I'd worry about the fields being built on.

LEMmingaround Sat 01-Feb-14 15:04:14

It would only take ten minutes to walk down the hill into stodmarsh from the preston house and the food in the pub there (i think its the red lion) is just as good as The duke. envy I haven't been to either since we had DD 8 yrs ago sad

Oh, you like dogs? Thats good because if it IS next to my neighbour - they have six grin huge ones! (not guard dog types, she is a breeder)

LEMmingaround Sat 01-Feb-14 15:04:51

my friend, not my neighbour - i couldnt afford to buy the stables (which my DP built) grin

Halsall Sat 01-Feb-14 15:10:45

Yep, the fields being 'developed' would be my first thought too, closely followed by the noise from the haulage business. We moved out of London into the fringes of countryside and within just a few months there was talk of the fields not far from us being built on. They still haven't done it - 12 years later - but have now decided they definitely WILL be included in the Local Plan for building some time before 2020. Even though it's Green Belt land sad

However, it's a handsome-looking house with good-sized rooms. The decor would have to go for me, too. Someone clearly advised them to have raspberry pink as an accent colour....it's in every photo except the garden and the mustard-coloured landing!

BuggedByJake Sat 01-Feb-14 15:12:50

It's a gorgeous house. I wish we could afford it!

Well if the haulage company build a housing estate, doesn't that rather negate the problem of isolation.

Most of you are so picky. You want to see the shitty kitchen we took on when we bought this house and we are still stuck with 10 years later.

Ignore the furniture. The house has a lot going for it.

BrunoBrookesDinedAlone Sat 01-Feb-14 16:06:40

Don't buy it.

Yes, it's a lovely house... In exactly the wrong situation for you.

You say you'd miss a village pub, community etc - there are plenty of places which have this - you say this is a long term move - don't spend the next 20 years wishing you could amble down to the pub!

Added to that, I'd worry about development and the lorries etc too.

You can make an ok house great. You can make lots of different houses 'work'. But you can't do anything about location/situation.

JimminyBillyBob Sat 01-Feb-14 16:16:52

Gorgeous… smile but… looks a bit cold; the open fireplaces and very large windows look original and/or single glaze. I would look into the heating in all the rooms inc. conservatory and bedrooms (very small under window radiators?). Also the stair banisters are not conducive with stair gates, small point though. The road / traffic situation would worry me more - the lorries you mention plus would you get snowed in? Icy corners? Size-wise it looks great, condition too - but looks can be deceiving as it looks like an old house so the electrics, heating, plumbing etc. would need a good look too.

DumSpiroSpero Sat 01-Feb-14 16:27:46

The decor is too old fashioned for me but it's a beautiful house re light, space and layout.

I couldn't live in the arse end of nowhere though - it would literally drive me mad!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now