Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Knitted shawls for babies

(81 Posts)
AbbeyBartlet Fri 31-Jan-14 18:16:45

For several years I have been knitting intricate shawls (about 3ft sq) for mums-to-be at work. I always ask if they want one, usually let them choose a pattern and make it in the nicest quality yarn I can get. However I have worried recently that they might think I am 'foisting' it on them.

I don't have children of my own so was wondering - is this the sort of gift new mums would find useful?

TobyLerone Fri 31-Jan-14 18:25:29

I think it's lovely. Anything handmade is extra special, IMO. I'm sure they love them. I would!

I have a newborn and my favourite things we've been given have been made by lovely, talented friends and family. A couple of blankets, cardigans, booties and a hat.

My mum was supposed to make a shawl, but she ran out of time! I'll steal the lovely yarn she bought for it and make something myself.

HoratiaDrelincourt Fri 31-Jan-14 18:39:05

I've had five hand knitted blankets over three babies. I wouldn't have wanted any more, although all of ours get use (DS1, now five, still takes his to bed).

I don't like being knitted for by relative strangers though, eg MIL's NDN whom we have never met. She uses hideous squeaky polyester yarn though which doesn't help.

Babies aren't held in blankets much nowadays except in hospital and at christenings. Blankets are useful in prams though.

LottieAndTheDinosaur Fri 31-Jan-14 18:40:48

I think its a lovely idea and I'm sure the mum appreciates it smile

A family friend knitted my twins shawls when they were born and I thought it was a gorgeous gift. They still sleep with them now and they are 3!

januaryjojo Fri 31-Jan-14 18:41:30

My DD is 17 and I still have the crocheted blanket a school friends mum (I was 18 when I had her) made when I had her.

It's been used for all of my other DC too.

Salmotrutta Fri 31-Jan-14 18:44:34

I had lovely shawls made for mine - something handmade was a thoughtful and welcome gift compared to shop-bought items.

Mind you, that was well over 20 years ago when it was very common to get lovely knitted bootees, hats etc.

I've seen people turning their noses up at that on here which is quite rude really.

snoggle Fri 31-Jan-14 18:44:46

I really treasure all the hand knitted things I have been given. I have a shawl, blanket, cardis and hats. They have all been used plenty and I love the fact the were made just for my children.
I think it's wonderful that people (a family member, a colleague, a NDN and a lady from church that I didn't really know) would put such effort in to do something nice for my babies.

AbbeyBartlet Fri 31-Jan-14 18:48:02

Thank you so much for your replies - it's good to know that people do like that sort of thing still! I am a compulsive knitter so I love doing it! smile

PedlarsSpanner Fri 31-Jan-14 18:48:09

it is such a lovely thing to do, you are so kind

(agree that horrid squeaky artificial fibres are gak though; cotton/natural fibres much nicer. And no fringes to irritate tiny eyes or get tangled in starfish fingers)

TobyLerone Fri 31-Jan-14 18:52:36

Handknitted stuff is more fashionable now.

AbbeyBartlet Fri 31-Jan-14 18:54:44

YY to the manky squeaky stuff! I use a baby yarn that is soft and doesn't squeak at all! The cheap stuff rubs horrible ridges into my fingers so it can't be good for a little one!

PedlarsSpanner Fri 31-Jan-14 18:55:26

<3

PoloMintCity Fri 31-Jan-14 18:58:56

My baby is due in June if you're looking for a project! wink Seriously, I think handmade stuff is lovely and treasure the things my DC have been given.

ShoeWhore Fri 31-Jan-14 19:02:28

When dc1was born my mum gave me a beautiful shawl my Nana had knitted for me. I didn't really wrap him in it much but found it really useful to tuck over him in the pram. It was especially precious to me as my Nana died when I was pg.

When dc2 was born mum found a second shawl my Grandma had started crocheting for my brother and never finished as her eyesight deteriorated very rapidly. Mum managed to finish it off and gave it to me for dc2.

When I was pg with dc3 I decided to dust off my crochet skills and make him his own blanket. I made it fairly simple and used baby bamboo which is beautifully soft and comes in lovely pastel colours. He took it to bed with him until he was about 4. I've done a few for friends' babies since and they have been very well received. I make them just the right size to tuck over them in the pram.

I think it's a really thoughtful gift.

hootloop Fri 31-Jan-14 19:03:19

I have two shawls, one was made by my nan, and another by a colleague when I was working. Both got used loads much better than shop bought ones, I especially appreciated the one from my colleague as she really didn't need to spend the time time making it.

cogitosum Fri 31-Jan-14 19:05:47

My mum knits and I adore everything she has made my ds. It's so special and when he gets compliments I love saying 'his granny made it'.

I would be grateful for anything I'm given but one thing I'd add is that my mum uses beautiful wool that's specially for babies. Some yarns are too harsh and itchy.

AbbeyBartlet Fri 31-Jan-14 19:06:06

Polo Seriously, PM me if you want one! I have started one but no-one is pregnant at the moment - as I said, I am compulsive knitter! grin

There was about four women who announced their pregnancies within a few weeks of each other last year - that was HECTIC!

AbbeyBartlet Fri 31-Jan-14 19:08:59

I use Sirdar Snuggly or Peter Pan - it's machine washable but keeps it's shape and is super soft!

One of my relatives gave me some yarn to make her DGD a cardigan - it was horrible cheap stuff, and I don't imagine it lasted long! grin

Mikkii Fri 31-Jan-14 19:24:39

I have 3 DC and only 2 hand knitted shawls. There will be trouble when I have to share them out! Fortunately I also have a shawl that was mine when I was a baby. DD2 is now 3 but still likes to cuddle up with the shawl that was made for her baptism.

This is lovely. If someone had done this for me when I was pregnant I would have been totally thrilled. You sound a really lovely thoughtful colleague! xx

2tiredtocare Fri 31-Jan-14 19:25:45

How lovely smile

Mamafratelli Fri 31-Jan-14 19:28:04

That is lovely. Now if you fancy knitting my dd a reversible doll and my ds a fireman I'd snap your hand off. I have tried, the results were not pretty! grin

Stripedgingercat Fri 31-Jan-14 19:30:16

Lovely thing to do

Annunziata Fri 31-Jan-14 19:31:11

They sound lovely. Have you got any photos of them?

nf1morethanjustlumpsandbumps Fri 31-Jan-14 19:33:41

DM makes some gorgeous shawls which she gives as presents, she also sells them at craft fairs, in Wool shops and on ebay so some people must want them. I had loads thankfully as DS was a boaky baby. So many people paid compliment to them whenever DS was a baby and he was all tucked up nice and cosy in his carrycot.

I love little babies in babygrows and hand knitted cardis DS wore very little else until he was six months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now