Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

I killed a deer today

(53 Posts)
countrybump Fri 31-Jan-14 18:03:05

It just ran out and I had no chance of avoiding it. Thankfully it hit the side of the car, so although there are two huge dents in the side of the car, nobody got hurt.

I'm still feeling guilty about the deer though.......it was huge. It doesn't help that my DD who was in the car with me keeps saying how sad it is that a reindeer died sad

PedlarsSpanner Fri 31-Jan-14 18:05:09

such a shock (and bummer that you ain't allowed to toss it in yer boot for proper butchering back at hame)

plutarch14 Fri 31-Jan-14 18:05:49

It happens, don't feel guilty.

You were lucky, a deer collision can write off a car.

Did it die straight away?

LEMmingaround Fri 31-Jan-14 18:06:11

oh gosh, that is sad wine but as you say, no one got hurt. Must have been bloody scary though.

LEMmingaround Fri 31-Jan-14 18:09:04

I was going to say that pedlars - would have made it less of a waste

countrybump Fri 31-Jan-14 18:09:24

Thanks, I think it died almost straight away. In my mirror I could see it flailing around in the road, and by the time I had turned around and gone back (partly because I didn't want to leave a huge carcass in the road) it was dead and someone else must have moved it onto the verge.

It was a shock, and I keep thinking of what would have happened if it been head on and come through the windscreen. Shudder.

Wine is in the fridge for as soon as the DC are in bed!

plutarch14 Fri 31-Jan-14 18:30:15

Are you not allowed to take the carcass?
blush

SundaySimmons Fri 31-Jan-14 18:31:05

Two girls died not so long ago when a deer ran in front of them. Terrible accident, you are very lucky that you and your daughter are unharmed.

Unfortunately they just run out and there is nothing you can do.

Try not to let it prey on your mind.

startwig1982 Fri 31-Jan-14 18:32:57

No it's illegal. Apparently it's a form of poaching.

orangepudding Fri 31-Jan-14 18:33:16

Must have been a huge fright - glad you and dd are okay.

You can't take it if you hit it but anyone else can I think.

Wolfiefan Fri 31-Jan-14 18:33:52

Just glad you were ok. They are huge and can cause lots of damage. I'm also very glad you didn't try and take heroic measures to avoid it and end up in a worse position.
Enjoy your wine. So glad you are safe. X

Showy Fri 31-Jan-14 18:37:27

MIL hit a deer head on 15yrs ago. I was in the car with her and it was very frightening. It made a terrible noise and a massive dent, vehicle was very damaged. I remember being shaken up for a while afterwards.

My DB is a butcher and quite a lot of people approach him with deer they have knocked over asking him to butcher it on the quiet.

ishouldcocoa Fri 31-Jan-14 18:37:54

I have hit a deer twice in about 4 years on the same stretch of road. Both times I got off lightly, but the sound of the thud as it hits the car is awful.
Both times required extensive work to the car.

You are right - you cannot pick up the deer you have hit, but the person behind you can... or as my local gamekeeper said to me "Why didn't you call me - I'd have come out and picked it up!"

Line up your wine glass, country and enjoy your drink tonight wine

RosegoldRuby Fri 31-Jan-14 18:45:05

You did well OP, not to have lost control of the car, or crashed trying to avoid the deer.

We have lots of deer round here, I live in the edge of a big forest and we have to drive through it to get anywhere. Several young drivers have died trying to avoid deer and hitting another vehicle or tree instead.

You can always say to DC "Think I'm bad?" and watch Bambi with them.

RosegoldRuby Fri 31-Jan-14 19:30:01

Oops, looks like I killed a thread today sad

lljkk Fri 31-Jan-14 19:58:08

DD has a mate whose dad will dress up, cook & eat fresh road kill.
Well, better than it going to waste, isn't it?!

MarvellousMechanicalMouseOrgan Fri 31-Jan-14 19:59:52

lljkk, what does he dress up as? grin

lljkk Fri 31-Jan-14 20:01:00

Snurk grin
(Plump balding older guy)
Eek, I really don't want to think about it!

I regularly hit pheasants, then take them home and eat them.
Is that allowed?!
What a bloody waste otherwise!

Misspixietrix Fri 31-Jan-14 20:07:30

OP don't know if its any consolation but there's no way you could have predicted it. I remember taking DD for an amble round a Park blissfully walking down the country path and having the shit frightened out of me as a Mother Deer and her 3 deers came hurtling over the fence right in front of us. blush no way a car would have stopped in time had that happened on the road. Enjoy your wine.

Bowlersarm Fri 31-Jan-14 20:09:16

DH hit a deer. Cue small DC crying their eyes out. When we took damaged car for repairs to the garage, garage chap said it was amazing but the deer normally survived shock.

That's my view now, and nobody can tell me otherwise grin

RosegoldRuby Fri 31-Jan-14 20:09:25

I think you're not supposed to take them home if you hit them yourself, but another driver is allowed to.

Perhaps it was thought to be a form of poaching, driving your car at game. Guess you're lucky not to have been hauled up in front of the beak and transported to Van Diemens Land, monkeyfacegrace.

countrybump Fri 31-Jan-14 20:10:59

First glass of wine down and feeling a bit better. Yes, we were lucky, the deer not so. The car can be fixed. We live on the edge of the forest, so I do see the deer quite often, but have never hit one before. And it was midday - so broad daylight. Usually if I see them it's a fleeting glimpse when it's dusk or dark.

lljkk - I am picturing someone dressed in their finest dinner suit to cook and eat road kill now!

Mogz Fri 31-Jan-14 20:15:05

Hope you're recovered OP, it's a scary and sad thing to hit an animal. I was coming home from work one day on my scooter just driving over a blind hill when a deer ran in to the side of me. I don't think I'd ever sworn so loud in my life, it bloody hurt!

countrybump Fri 31-Jan-14 20:18:21

Mogz - I think I can thank my lucky stars I wasn't in anything smaller than my reasonably sized car! The deer was huge, if it hit a scooter it would have been awful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now