Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

My poor little cat :(

(57 Posts)
WreckTangle Fri 31-Jan-14 16:07:02

I have to take my cat to the vets in 30 mins, he's 21 years old and I'm pretty sure they will advise he be pts. I got him when I was 13, he slept on my bed every night until I left home and he stayed in the family home then.

He hasn't eaten for days. Had him at the vets couple if weeks ago as he had diarrhea. The vet gave him a check over and suggested leaving him a couple of weeks to see how he got on. He has lost so much weight, he's skin and bone.

I feel sick about taking him. sad

Don't really know why I'm posting, just trying to stop myself pacing the floor watching the clock.

Reiltin Fri 31-Jan-14 16:09:48

I feel for you. Just found out my 1.5yo has lymphoma. Waiting to talk to the vet about options.

<hugs>

JennyOnAPlate Fri 31-Jan-14 16:10:15

Oh love I'm so sorry. I'm thinking of you and giving you a hand to hold flowers

What a long and lovely life your cat has had.

lucysmam Fri 31-Jan-14 16:10:26

Oh sad so sorry Wreck.

Sounds like he is much loved & well cared for.

thanks for you, I hope this afternoon isn't too difficult.

Dahlen Fri 31-Jan-14 16:13:08

I'm so sorry. sad

I had to have my beloved 21-year-old cat PTS last year and can really empathise. He was my longest ever companion (had him 19 years). Just try to console yourself with the knowledge that you gave him a great life.

flowers

WreckTangle Fri 31-Jan-14 16:13:58

Thank you

I hope you receive good news Reiltin.

He is a big beautiful black cat, he looks like a panther smile I know just looking at him that it won't be long. He has had a long happy life and very spoiled.

SpottyDottie Fri 31-Jan-14 16:14:39

Oh wreck I'm sorry you're facing this. It's a horrible decision to make, I've had to do it a few times. So I know how you feel. It sounds like you and your kitty have shared a lot of love over the years flowers

Bless him sad

He has had a lovely mummy in you, so whatever happens, he has had a good life. I had my lovely girl PTS 3 years ago now at the age of 16...even now we have a kitten, I still call the kitten by my old girls name.

lucysmam Fri 31-Jan-14 16:17:06

He sounds like the big stray that is currently living in our back garden (we've made him a little cat house out there because no-one wants him sad & we're not allowed him in the house)

HeartShapedBox Fri 31-Jan-14 16:17:30

aw no, poor old cat sad and poor you too sad

Hassled Fri 31-Jan-14 16:17:49

I'm so sorry. It's heart-breaking - have been there.

And it is like a bereavement - I know it's "just" a cat and not comparable etc, but it is like a bereavement. So go very easy on yourself - hope you'll be OK.

ChubbyKitty Fri 31-Jan-14 16:18:09

Wrecktangle I'm so sorrythanks he sounds like a beautiful cat. I hope the vet gives you better news sad

SundaySimmons Fri 31-Jan-14 16:19:34

Your cat has had twenty one years of a happy life and wonderful times with you and your family.

You are doing right by your loving cat if the vet advises that it is time for you to say goodbye.

The hardest thing is also the kindest thing.

It may be that your cat has a little while longer and if so, I hope he kept comfortable.

DanceParty Fri 31-Jan-14 16:20:02

Feel for you OP (just had to have my beloved dog pts just before Christmas).

WreckTangle Fri 31-Jan-14 16:27:23

You just get so attached to them don't you?

He's just a big pet, sitting on my lap just now staring at me. Better get going I suppose. I don't want him to be in any pain.

SlatternMissesherGrumpyCat Fri 31-Jan-14 16:31:30

My sympathies, it is a horrible feeling.

(See user name).

RabbitsarenotHares Fri 31-Jan-14 16:37:37

Sorry to hear this. I hope he had a peaceful end.

When my previous cat was pts I was 500 miles away, and there was no way I could go down. I rang the vets just before the end and they let me say goodbye to her. No idea what they made of that, but I couldn't care less.

Hugs.

Thinking of you. It is the worst part of pet ownership. It sounds like you've given him a lovely life.

Oh poor puss. Hope you're doing ok OP - so sorry.

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 31-Jan-14 16:45:43

Twenty one is amazing. He obviously is one well loved and well looked after cat!!

I hope there is some good news but if not then take comfort in te 21 years of fun and love you have had. He will not forget you and what you have done for him, in this life or the next!

Fingers crossed x

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Fri 31-Jan-14 16:47:35

Sorry to hear this sad

Tears in my eyes reading the love that people have for their furry family members and worrying about our 16yo mog.

feel so sad for you

Hugs OP. He sounds like a very lucky cat to have had such a nice life smile

Sending you huge ((HUGS)) xx

aristocat Fri 31-Jan-14 17:42:05

((hugs))

So sorry, my old fella is 17 this year and I dread this time. Hope you are OK. 21 is a fantastic age x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now