Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Yet another appalling DM article...

(27 Posts)
DuPainDuVinDuFromage Fri 31-Jan-14 11:43:14

And the comments are even worse!

anti-women tripe

The two key messages seem to be:

1. Most women only work because they have to. If you want to work, you are weird and a bad mother.

2. Women are not being discriminated against in the workplace. The reason they are not getting to the top is because they don't want to, not because of any external factors stopping them.

angry

Namenamechange Fri 31-Jan-14 11:48:14

I think you are lucky if you want to work for reasons other than to gain money, that has always been why I worked, never for the pleasure, though I have never had a fantastic career.

Lazysuzanne Fri 31-Jan-14 11:49:40

Load of lazy simplistic rhetoric

Viviennemary Fri 31-Jan-14 11:49:57

I worked for the money. If we had not needed the money I would certainly not have done the job I did. I probably would have stayed at home for a few years at least.

Slh122 Fri 31-Jan-14 12:09:08

shock at the comment that says that women should be forced to stay at home until their children are of school-age. Even more shock that it's in the 'best rated' comments section!

DuPainDuVinDuFromage Fri 31-Jan-14 12:23:37

I agree, I would choose not to work if I could afford not to and still have the security I have now (that is, I would want to have enough money to live off the interest so that I wasn't ever reliant on DH's income - fat chance!!). But while the article is, on the face of it, reflecting what many of us would like to do, the actual effect is much more sinister - as evidenced by the incredibly misogynist comments. I suppose I shouldn't get worked up about it because the whole point of Daily Mail articles is to stir up opposing opinions...it's my fault for reading it!

annieorangutan Fri 31-Jan-14 12:28:42

I dont see why women shpuld be forced to stay at home. It would be horrendous if men like it make them do it.

DarlingGrace Fri 31-Jan-14 12:30:31

I would imagine 'most' women work because of financial necessity not through choice. I am prepared to be corrected.

I said most, not all before the misquoting begins.

annieorangutan Fri 31-Jan-14 12:33:09

I think most work because they want to. Most women dont even make much money after working, but are very keen to stay in work. Its the social side, the challenge, fun, being an individual, doing different things every day etc.

Applefallingfromthetree2 Fri 31-Jan-14 12:34:41

What I find interesting is that so many people slate the Daily Mail yet continue to read their articles. The true Devil's advocate and increasing their circulation too!

Lottiedoubtie Fri 31-Jan-14 12:35:02

I would imagine most men only work because of financial necessity too hmm

scottishmummy Fri 31-Jan-14 12:39:01

I work full time,I want to work full time.im not compelled
no desire to be at home
Good childcare set up,so it's all sorted

annieorangutan Fri 31-Jan-14 12:40:21

I think most people deep down like work else why do most people get depressed on retirement?

DuPainDuVinDuFromage Fri 31-Jan-14 12:42:27

Oh I know Apple, I can't resist it! Do as I say, not as I do wink grin

And Lottie - yes exactly. They're trying to make women seem like a different type of person but actually the differences are between people (men and women) who work because they want to, and people (again, men and women) who work because they have to. And most of us probably fall into both camps, to some extent.

Namenamechange Fri 31-Jan-14 12:42:40

I gather people who get depressed in retirement are those that didn't choose to retire, those that do chose if and when they retire are apparently quite happy.

Lazysuzanne Fri 31-Jan-14 12:47:01

Annie, I presume you mean most women don't make much after the cost of childcare?

Isn't it funny how the costs of childcare are so often deducted from the women's rather than the men's wages.

MoreBeta Fri 31-Jan-14 12:51:39

"Nearly six out of ten of all working mothers would cut down their hours to spend more time with their families if they could afford to"

I don't suppose they asked men what they thought. I bet they would get this answer.

"Nearly six out of ten of all working fathers would cut down their hours to spend more time with their families if they could afford to"

Work is not the be all and end all of life for most people. Why focus only on mothers, why not ask parents in general? Why not write an article about parental leave from that perspective? Why not write an article about the economic pressure on families that forces both parents to work just to make ends meet?

I imagine most people only work because they have to - because they have a mortage/rent/bills to pay, food and clothes to buy and children or a family to support.

It's stupid that the article only focuses on women. I would bet that a similar amount of men would give up work and stay home if they didn't need the money.

sleepyhead Fri 31-Jan-14 12:55:03

<applauds MoreBeta>

What he said.

GlitzAndGiggles Fri 31-Jan-14 12:57:55

I work because I NEED to, not want to. I've made some good friends in my job though and I do enjoy the interaction with adults but getting up at half 4 is not enjoyable!

riverboat Fri 31-Jan-14 13:40:18

What a crock of shite. I would be prepared to bet a large amount of money that a similar proportion of fathers would like to cut down their working hours if they could afford to. As others have already said.

And not just mothers and fathers, childless men and women too! Of which I am one and would love to reduce my working hours, even without kids in the equation.

"Most people would ideally like to work a bit less" doesnt have the same ring to it as the headline they went with though...

DoctorTwo Fri 31-Jan-14 13:47:42

Tea & Kittens is your friend. It's guaranteed to stop the rage you feel when inadvertantly clicking on a DM link. smile

Applefallingfromthetree2 Fri 31-Jan-14 14:06:32

Ha! Are we all inadvertently clicking on the links to the Daily Mail. Perhaps we should stop it.

Lottiedoubtie Fri 31-Jan-14 14:36:11

I didn't read it.

Still managed to make a comment the OP agreed with though!

The DM is a script, you don't need to read it to know what it says wink

mumofboyo Fri 31-Jan-14 15:04:25

I work because I want to. Staying at home all day with the children made me feel lonely, isolated and depressed. We do need the money that I bring in but I'd still go out to work if that wasn't the case. I spent 4 years training to do my job and feel like I'd be wasting all that time and effort if I stayed at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now