Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

I have just done the most godawful thing!!!!!!!!!!

(16 Posts)
SparklyPandora Fri 31-Jan-14 11:22:14

OH MY GOD. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in the middle of a (previously successful!) bid for a major contract (worth about 2k to me). I was asked to take a call with my boss's boss that I didn't want to do for a number of reasons - I outlined them to my boss in response to an email from him, sent it-- AND THEN REALISED HIS BOSS WAS CC'D ON IT!!!!!!!!!!! So now I have effectively just told my boss's boss that I don't want to talk to him. And therefore in all probability lost the contract. WWYD in this situation?!?

onetiredmummy Fri 31-Jan-14 11:22:54

Can you recall it?

Shnickyshnackers Fri 31-Jan-14 11:23:19

Can you retreave the email? or phone them and ask them not to read it ?

Shnickyshnackers Fri 31-Jan-14 11:23:35

*retrieve

ateddybearfromdelaware1 Fri 31-Jan-14 11:25:04

Eeek.

Sorry not helpful

SapphireMoon Fri 31-Jan-14 11:25:15

Oh shit Sparkly...
Were you rude at all or did it seem like maybe someone could deal more appropriately with situation? Could your immediate boss help?
OR grovel....

LEMmingaround Fri 31-Jan-14 11:25:42

brazen it out, if they were valid reasons then hopefully it will be ok - unless of course you called him a hapless fuckwit, in that case, you're fucked x

onetiredmummy Fri 31-Jan-14 11:26:42

In Outlook:

Recall a message
To recall a message without sending a revised message, do the following:

In Mail, in the Navigation Pane, click Sent Items.
Open the message that you want to recall.
On the Message tab, in the Move group, click Actions, and then click Recall This Message.
Click Delete unread copies of this message.

SundaySimmons Fri 31-Jan-14 11:30:40

Go to your boss and ask their advice.

I don't think it's so much you have inadvertently sent a copy to this person it's the fact there for whatever reasons you think are justifiable, you wouldn't take a call.

Speaking with someone senior should always be a priority even if it's just to say that you are in the middle of something and will get back to them at a given time, or you don't have certain info to hand at that time etc etc.

Refusing to take a call is enough to get you in trouble, I would have thought?

Pawprint Fri 31-Jan-14 11:34:51

Uh oh! I've done similar. It's so easy to do and usually v embarrassing

SparklyPandora Fri 31-Jan-14 11:50:35

It was sent from an exchange account - not outlook! Arghh!!!!

No, I wasn't rude, just honest. But it doesn't paint me in a v good light. Immediate boss happens to be my friend doing me a favour to win said contract. So therefore socially and professionally embarrassing!!! I want to laugh.

But thanks for the replies smile I'll let you know what the outcome is! I'm cringing every time my phone makes its email noise..... X

SparklyPandora Fri 31-Jan-14 11:55:15

PS. Sort of a legitimate reason for not taking the call. It's translation work which I can manage perfectly fine with on paper, but my spoken fluency is doubtful and wouldn't paint me in a good light. AND THAT'S WHAT I SAID!!!!!!!!! Arghhhh.

Notawordfromtheladybird Fri 31-Jan-14 12:03:05

Um, if you told the reasons to your boss, what makes you think it would be confidential and he wasn't going to forward it to his boss anyway?

(I take it you're the contractor and they're both your clients from your OP)

SundaySimmons Fri 31-Jan-14 12:07:34

If your reasons were purely based on your own shortcomings (I don't mean that as an insult), then they shouldn't take offence.

I thought you had written something personal about the boss's bos, i.e. 'Didnt want to speak to him as he goes on and on... '

That type of thing.

I think you will be ok.

GrandadGrumps Fri 31-Jan-14 12:18:01

It's translation work which I can manage perfectly fine with on paper, but my spoken fluency is doubtful and wouldn't paint me in a good light.

Well as long as spoken fluency isn't actually needed in the contract then I'd say that your honest self-appraisal would go down well with any competent and reasonable manager. Don't worry about it.

GrandadGrumps Fri 31-Jan-14 12:28:18

And actually if your boss's boss thinks you've cc'd him deliberately then that's very possibly a good thing - as long as you weren't insulting about him at all. It's like you're explaining to him directly why you don't want to speak to him. Good managers respect straight talk and honesty in business is a very good quality.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now