Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

DD keeps getting cold after cold after cold. Any solutions? (It gets a bit complicated)

(25 Posts)
AtYourCervix Fri 31-Jan-14 10:11:45

Over and over, just gets over one and starts another.

The priblems...

She is 15. Aspergers.

Massively germ phobic and scared of illness. Thinks she's dying.

Diet is shit. Always has been. No fruit, no veg, all carbs and chicken.

Will not take any sort of medicine. At all. No vitamin supplements. Not even a paracetamol when she feels rough.

Any suggestions? Am I missing something she could do?

Poor thing.

How's her hand washing? I know it wont solve everything but it might cut down the amount of colds she gets.

AtYourCervix Fri 31-Jan-14 10:17:11

She does too much hand washing. Because of the germ thing.

AtYourCervix Fri 31-Jan-14 10:27:44

Anyone used that nose spray? Think it is called first defence?

piratecat Fri 31-Jan-14 10:32:18

have done here, it is hard to tell if it worked though. Worth a shot, it does sting a bit, don't inhale it too far in, i just let it settle in the nose.

dd 11 hates it, very sensitive to stuff. she gets every bug going too. Education welfare officer on our back constantly.

miserable it is. does your dd get headaches and tummy probs too, or just the colds.

4forkssake Fri 31-Jan-14 10:36:22

Can you try to crush some vitamins up in her food or drink? Holland & Barrett do natural vit c powder you add to liquid. It's a bit bitter (no sweeteners in it) but if you could get it into a drink, don't think she'd notice. You can also get spatone iron. It's liquid form so again, you could try to get it into a drink with the vit c. Wouldn't do any harm to give them both a try. There might be other powdered vitamins out there. Good luck. smile

First defence is horrible,DD would rather be ill than subjected to that again.

Does she like hummus? It is a good source of vitamins and minerals, you don't need huge quantities, it is easy to make your own and it feel more like a carb than a vegetable. It can go in a sandwich, on a jacket potato etc.

AtYourCervix Fri 31-Jan-14 11:13:31

She is extraordinarily sensitive to tastes so could spot a disolved vitamin a mile off. Might try spatone though. Haven't tried that yet.

Pirate - yes. Constant headaches, irritable guts, tummy pains - possibly linked to her anxiety levels.

mousmous Fri 31-Jan-14 11:17:52

what about those nutrition drinks? those tins that you see discarded late night on the way from the pub to the bus?

how is her sleep?
ime nutrition and sleep are most important, followed by good hygiene.

- hygiene no issue in you case
- nutrition ah, well something to work on

wodalingpengwin Fri 31-Jan-14 11:30:05

You've identified the problem. She needs fruit and veg for the vitamins. No expertise on Aspergers but can you try and link in her mind her desire to not get ill with the fact that you NEED these healthy foods in order to stay well?

Would she go for smoothies or homemade fruit milkshakes to at least get some fruit in her?

AtYourCervix Fri 31-Jan-14 11:39:37

No smoothes or blended stuff. No hidden stuff. No amount of cajoling, pleading, bribery or rational straight speaking. .

She is impossible. But it's not simply stubborness or lack of knowledge or not trying. She just can't.

AtYourCervix Fri 31-Jan-14 11:41:08

We're working on sleep. Minute improvements Recently.

Ragusa Fri 31-Jan-14 11:41:58

Do you get any help from dieticianor SALT familiar with aspergers?

vjg13 Fri 31-Jan-14 11:45:46

Does she eat sweets? the Boots gummy bear vitamins, in small bags, taste just like normal sweets.

Does she eat sweets? Would you be able to convince her to et some of the chewable kids vitamins which look and taste like fruit pastilles?

COuld you add vitamin powder to porridge?

vjg13 Fri 31-Jan-14 11:48:08

Spatone does have a slightly metallic taste even in orange juice.

AtYourCervix Fri 31-Jan-14 11:59:45

Saw a dietician when she was 7. She told her to eat vegetables. Unsurprisingly it didn't work.

Over the years she's tried most sorts of vitamins.
Time to try again maybe.

Does she drink fruit juice or flavour water or the like? Would she drink Vitamin Water?

www.vitaminwater.com/product

A lot of breakfast cereals are fortified with vitamins and iron.

AtYourCervix Fri 31-Jan-14 12:17:59

It's a shame. I was hoping someone might have invented a non-medicine cold cure and I missed it.

Problem is vitamins taste of vitamins.

Will persevere with diet stuff. Again.

Sadly, no magic cold cure as yet.

Probiotics might assist if she has digestive problems e.g. actimel or yakult or something like activia yogurt.

I imagine that you will struggle to get her to accept that drinking a bottle of friendly bacteria is anything other than a bad idea so maybe yogurts if she can tolerate them.

Frikadellen Fri 31-Jan-14 12:47:54

If she will eat carbs will she eat stuff like brownies and Chocolate muffins

prune brownies

spinach muffins

chocolate orange cake

Just dont make them around her and make sure you eat some with her (I know that will be HARD smile )

Frikadellen Fri 31-Jan-14 12:49:32

PS no more than 2 of the prune brownies.... (from experience grins) and yes I know you will want to eat more..

Sneepy Fri 31-Jan-14 13:01:29

Maybe it's not a cold but an allergy? Colds don't usually recur like that but hay fever (starting now esp if you're in the south!), dust mites, animals, or mould could cause the same symptoms. She would still have to take some meds though, daily dose of Claritin helps most people & it comes in a minty (nice IMO) liquid.

Ragusa Fri 31-Jan-14 16:15:41

Honestly, you need a referral to a therapist with relevant experience. Telling her to 'eat more veg' is hardly helpful is it?!?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now