Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Madame Tussaud's London

(37 Posts)
BeaWheesht Thu 30-Jan-14 21:50:53

We are going to be arriving in London ab

whatsagoodusername Fri 31-Jan-14 10:41:29

If you're going to do one of the paid activities, be sure you check out 2for1 for deals.

Monty27 Thu 30-Jan-14 23:14:08

Mt's absolutely no, overpriced load of crap imo. Also, on a Sunday afternoon in June, be prepared to join a very very very very long queue shock

have a walk along the Southbank, there's loads of lovely free entertainment there. Maybe take a boat along the Thames for a bit? There's so much to do if its not raining smile

KitCat26 Thu 30-Jan-14 22:55:35

We took DD1 to the museum of London which we love, but rushed through as she was a bit bored. She is 4.

What DD1 did love was a walk over the Millennium Bridge down towards the Tate Modern. She loved watching the street entertainers on the south bank. We live in a village and it was her first trip to a big city so it was very exciting for her (probably not so much if you live in a city already though).

Kensington Gardens is also a lovely place for little ones to burn some energy. The Serpentine Gallery is small but excellent and can have some very interesting/interactive art exhibitions on indoors and out. Check online what's coming up.

London Transport museum is good although to be honest my nephews were just as happy to go on normal bus as they never get the bus where they live. How about the princess Di playground in kensignton gardens if the weather is good?

BeaWheesht Thu 30-Jan-14 22:41:12

Dd would be fine with dungeons, ds would be terrified!!!

BeaWheesht Thu 30-Jan-14 22:40:08

Museums are absolutely our thing if interactive it's just that as I say we go to the national museum and science museum up here a lot so wondering if its different enough

nancy75 Thu 30-Jan-14 22:39:23

I wouldn't do London dungeons with a 3 year old.

MrsC1966 Thu 30-Jan-14 22:37:15

We found Madame Tussauds really expensive and I also didn't like the large number of sweet stalls dotted about the place. Left feeling I had been seriously ripped off.

We usually pick a postcode, then google and study Tripadvisor to find the different and quirky (and cheap!).

nancy75 Thu 30-Jan-14 22:34:53

Harrods is worth it just for the food hall, just avoid the luxury handbags or you might need to remortgage the house.

Hassled Thu 30-Jan-14 22:33:33

They are pretty damn special. Enormous, impressive buildings and loads of interactive stuff.

If museums aren't your thing, the Tower of London is great, as are The London Dungeons.

BeaWheesht Thu 30-Jan-14 22:32:26

I'm going to sound totally weird now but we don't have a buggy but in addition to the whole heights phobia I also have a real fear of narrow staircases!!

Harrods sounds great but I'm not the best with willpower so will give it a miss

Prettykitty111 Thu 30-Jan-14 22:32:20

I agree with the museums, free lots of fun and all next door to each other. I would suggest Piccadilly line though as the stairs out of the circle line can be he'll with small children if its busy

nancy75 Thu 30-Jan-14 22:31:54

Agree with hassled, you can do natural history museum and then walk to harrods or over to Hyde park if it has stopped raining by June.

All children love a dinosaur and if the weather is ok the museums are not usually too busy.

mirpuppet Thu 30-Jan-14 22:30:35

London Transport Museum gets my vote.

BeaWheesht Thu 30-Jan-14 22:29:35

Hmmmm hassled ok .

Are the science & natural history museums really special? Just want something for the kids that's different from hat we normally do iyswim?

I actually think dd would hardly recognise any celebrities thinking about it now. Even ds probably wouldn't know that many past footballers etc

MrsC1966 Thu 30-Jan-14 22:27:55

I can recommend The Golden Hind, details can be found here: http://m.goldenhinde.com/about-us.php

Check it out on Tripadvisor. We also love The Old Operating Theatre, it's tiny with a small narrow staircase (not great if you still have a buggy) but lovely and you can touch things!

Hassled Thu 30-Jan-14 22:26:05

Or Harrods. We have lots of fun in Harrods. I give the kids a fiver or so and they get approximately 2 chocolates, but they are the best chocolates in the world.

Hassled Thu 30-Jan-14 22:24:46

Nooo - don't do Ripley's either. It's shit. Expensive and gobsmackingly bizarre.

Listen to the people directing you to the free, excellent museums. South Kensington tube - easy enough from King's Cross (Circle line).

JustSpeakSense Thu 30-Jan-14 22:24:26

I'm going to go against the grain here and say we took our kids (10y & 13y) and they loved it! We got a lot out of the trip. But they recognised nearly all of the celebrities, sports stars, politicians & royal family - there was a family in front if us the whole way around with younger kids (3y & 5y I'm guessing?) they were bored bored bored (running around crying & winging, poor kids)

BeaWheesht Thu 30-Jan-14 22:15:25

Ripleys believe it or not looks good - we are coming into kings cross how far is it from there?

Yep just there for afternoon as catching Eurostar in morning

Thanks for all your help

sittingbythepoolwithenzo Thu 30-Jan-14 22:10:30

How long are you there for? Just the afternoon?

The only thing about the science and natural history museums, is that they are quite far out from the centre.

We often pop in for a wander, and pick an area to stroll around. Seriously, why not go on the boat to Tower Bridge and have a look around the Tower or St Catherines Dock etc?

The South Bank is a good area, as well.

Tate Modern is also worth a visit - even little ones enjoy it and you can walk across the bridge to St Pauls.

nancy75 Thu 30-Jan-14 22:04:37

Go anywhere before you go there, in fact standing in a bus shelter for the afternoon is probably more fun. Go to London zoo, the Diana park, any museum.

onepieceoflollipop Thu 30-Jan-14 22:03:26

or the London Transport Museum.

BeaWheesht Thu 30-Jan-14 22:03:07

No we have only been to London once last year for a few hours. We live in Scotland so not nearby.

onepieceoflollipop Thu 30-Jan-14 22:02:14

I recommend the Museum of Childhood. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now