Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Any child protection experts around?

(90 Posts)
Worried2014 Thu 30-Jan-14 20:04:11

I've been here for yonks but wanted to name change as I could be easily identifiable under my other name.

This is somewhat of a WWYD?

I think a child in my class is being abused by a male member of her extend family who is heavily involved in her care. I have some evidence on what I've witnessed and she has disclosed but nothing definite or that warrants a call to SS.
Everything could be explained away.
I've seen this family member with her and it literally gives me a chill up my spine, it's creepy.
She looks much older than she is (primary) and I just have an intuitive feeling that all is not well and I am stuck as there's nothing I can do.

I've followed all the correct CP procedures in place at school and other staff are being vigilant too.

Unless she says something to us that explicitly implicates him we cannot do anything and are stuck watching her go more into her shell.

I feel quite helpless in this situation and I'd like to ask if there anything I can do?

Can't think of anything else to add but I don't want to be accused of drip feeding so apologies if I've missed something out. I've tried not to mention anything identifiable but if you think there's anything I should ask to be deleted, please let me know.

Hassled Thu 30-Jan-14 20:06:02

You have some evidence and you have a disclosure - is that really not enough to warrant a referral? What does your head say?

Judyandherdreamofhorses Thu 30-Jan-14 20:06:06

I think that you can report this to social services or the police based on your concerns, particularly if she has made disclosures, as you say.

Ifcatshadthumbs Thu 30-Jan-14 20:06:41

Could you phone nspcc for advice?

NigellasDealer Thu 30-Jan-14 20:07:47

if you have a chill up your spine, report - it doesn't have to be in your professional capacity

Worried2014 Thu 30-Jan-14 20:08:08

Without revealing the details, let's just say it's not something that states what he's done to her, more about the issue in general. I know that doesn't make much sense, sorry.

She said we need to 'keep an eye on things' and we have logged it in the safeguarding folder.

Fairenuff Thu 30-Jan-14 20:08:54

Are you the head teacher?

Worried2014 Thu 30-Jan-14 20:09:05

Could I phone SS anonymously? Would they take me seriously without me being able to say who I was etc?

Worried2014 Thu 30-Jan-14 20:09:43

No Fairenuff and I'm not the safeguarding officer either!

jellymaker Thu 30-Jan-14 20:11:07

You need to phone the NSPCC adult helpline. They will give you professional advice.08088005000. It is what they are there for.

DameEdnasBridesmaid Thu 30-Jan-14 20:11:17

I'm a Child Protection Officer in education. I would report this to Children's Social Care. Report what you gave seen and what your suspicions are. It may be a piece of the jigsaw.

No one ever got in trouble for sharing information. Plenty have to live with not reporting suspicions.

Social Services do not go rushing in all guns blazing, they investigate discreetly.
I would rather be wrong than right and not have done anything.

MrsKCastle Thu 30-Jan-14 20:13:01

I'm confused- it sounds to me as though your concerns DO warrant a call to SS- you have witnessed interactions that ring alarm bells, she has disclosed something to you and you have some 'evidence'. You also say you are watching her go into her shell- you are seeing a change in behavior. It is your duty to report your suspicions.

I don't understand why you feel you cannot do any more. You don't need a signed confession before reporting.

OodlesofOodles Thu 30-Jan-14 20:14:47

Child protection jigsaw. You may have the missing piece of information the SW need.

itsbetterthanabox Thu 30-Jan-14 20:14:59

You can report this to the police and they will keep it as intelligence. I've done it myself about someone.

BrianTheMole Thu 30-Jan-14 20:15:35

Could I phone SS anonymously? Would they take me seriously without me being able to say who I was etc?

You can, but why wouldn't you give your name as a profesional person yourself? What are you worried about?

Fairenuff Thu 30-Jan-14 20:15:51

Then you should report to the safeguarding officer at your school.

Worried2014 Thu 30-Jan-14 20:16:28

Thank you for not making me feel silly.

I think I will give that number a ring, will the adult number be able to advise if it's about a child?

Worried2014 Thu 30-Jan-14 20:18:05

BrianTheMole the person in question is aggressive and violent and i know I could be potentially putting my own family at risk if he knew it came from me.

TheGonnagle Thu 30-Jan-14 20:18:35

Report report report. You never know what other information you are corroborating. No one ever got into trouble for doing their utmost to protect a child that they believe may be at risk.

Fairenuff Thu 30-Jan-14 20:19:20

Have you actually had any child protection training? I'm just wondering why you are not sure what to do because it's quite clear in schools who you should report to.

If you have already reported this to your child protection officer, they will deal with it. Do you think they are not competent or something?

Worried2014 Thu 30-Jan-14 20:19:53

He's be verbally abusive and threatening to me infront of my class about a different issue. Witnessed by other parents, who could verify events if it was ever used in a case against him not that it would be.

InPursuitOfOblivion Thu 30-Jan-14 20:20:36

I've reported little bits and pieces to SS before. (Not necessarily CP)
It's not our place to investigate, it's theirs, but they can only start the process if some one highlights concerns.

HamletsSister Thu 30-Jan-14 20:20:40

If in doubt, the default position is to report.

KickassCoalition Thu 30-Jan-14 20:21:12

Social services take anonymous reports as seriously as those with names attached as they are usually family members or those who fear reprisals.

Good luck x

littlewhitebag Thu 30-Jan-14 20:21:31

I am a CP SW and in my experience schools often hold onto things for far too long before passing them on. Many teachers are worried about ruining the parent/school relationship often forgetting there is a child at the centre of this.

Call your local CP team and explain your concerns and then let them decide what to do with the information

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now