Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

OI! Car at the front. Move straight away when the lights turn green, not five minutes later so it turns red and the cars behind have to wait for the green again.

(74 Posts)
Ledkr Thu 30-Jan-14 15:36:21

Grrr am I the only person who is ready to pull away as soon as the lights change!

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Thu 30-Jan-14 21:58:34

Hi Cunty

It's not slow,; it's heavy. Really fucking heavy. Today I was running at a shade under 43 tonnes. I pull away in 2nd, floor it, and the auto changer will go 4th, 7th, 9th and that takes me to 20 mph in around 10 seconds.

That's on the flat. Hills? There's one in Bradford where you have to lock it in 1st to turn right to Shipley or it'll spin and slide backwards. Not fun.

HTH

CuntyBunty Thu 30-Jan-14 21:16:23

I was behind a lorry, one behind mind, and by the time they made it through the lights, they'd fucking changed back. I was pissed off. Gasping with rage, almost. How can a vehicle be deemed roadworthy if it takes off that slowly? A whole cycle of lights changing and unnecessary delay to other road users, ggrr.

<<immature fourth form giggling>> aimed at LRD

austenozzy Thu 30-Jan-14 20:40:18

Good job nobody has mentioned middle lane hoggers yet, or this thread would head to hell in a handbasket!

(My driving is perfect, natch)

Sparklingbrook Thu 30-Jan-14 20:27:52

grin LRD

There's a bloke round here who we call 'Mr Maniac'. He drives as if there are no other cars on the road, and you just have to get out of the way.

There is a bloke where I live who I swear must drive with his hand poised over the horn in readiness.

(I wrote that and then realized what it looks like, but yes, he is a wanker.)

Sparklingbrook Thu 30-Jan-14 20:12:27

How rude to honk at people though-there's no need.

plasma - not talking about going into the grids. Not that they are invariably there on roundabouts with lights, of course.

There is absolutely no magic in the world can change things if you've moved forward and are sitting at the lights, then people from the next exit ahead block the way. You cannot move forward; you have to sit there. You can hardly reverse back so what else do you do in that situation?

NearTheWindmill Thu 30-Jan-14 20:07:54

They don't annoy me as much as the people who beep when I am at a crossroads and edging out to make sure I can turn left of right as soon as possible. The only reason I don't is because there is traffice approaching from the left or the right and to continue driving would cause an accident. That makes my blood boil - do they expect me to actually drive into oncoming traffic. I am a teeny bit cautious but I have been driving in London for nearly 35 years and tend to keep moving wherever possible

And a small gap so you can see tyres and tarmac is fine. Enough room to park a Winnebago in is not.

Galena Thu 30-Jan-14 20:01:36

If you go too promptly when the light turns green, you're more likely to get sideswiped by the idiot going through the red light who thought it was amber, guv, honest...

chateauferret Thu 30-Jan-14 20:00:50

That sodding roundabout at Hermiston Gait where the M8 ends in a jumble of cars and traffic lights has now reached the point where green means "use the kind of profanities you generally reserve for Special Occasions"; and red means "charge forward and hope nobody notices you jumped the lights; then stop 3 inches from the arse of the car in front and make sure you block the next entrance to the roundabout; on no account stay in the same lane as the one you started in; and do not signal". It should be demolished.

Thank you LRD

It's hard to explain but the roundabout involves 8 lanes of traffic and an integral crossroads. It's perfectly possible to get stuck due to other people not moving far enough along when they've made the turn. They're not leaving space for emergency vehicles as there would be no way they'd be in that lane as there's a hard shoulder sort of arrangement.

PlasmaBall Thu 30-Jan-14 19:59:10

No, sorry I don't agree. On the ones with multiple lanes and lights there are yellow grids to avoid that happening. It's only when people go into the grids without a way out that everything gets stuck

threebats Thu 30-Jan-14 19:57:53

I would also like to designate a specific zone of Hell for those who leave gaps in front of their car when queuing, thus causing traffic jams behind them of motorists trapped on roundabouts unable to exit because these pillocks are in the way.
Be careful you do not have somebody in front of you who is holding on the clutch or are just randomly crap with starting on a hill or something - they roll back into your car - you get the blame for not leaving enough room between cars.

vastknapsack Thu 30-Jan-14 19:55:26

X post with tweed

red, that's only true on very small roundabouts. If you are on the kind with multiple lanes and traffic lights, you certainly can get stuck!

vastknapsack Thu 30-Jan-14 19:54:30

DMC I must be a pillock then grin my driving instructor would always say "tyres and Tarmac" to me. Meaning that when behind another car you should be able to see its rear tyres and a strip of Tarmac below. His reasoning was that you are less likely to get blocked in when parking, and when in queueing traffic you are less likely to hit the car in front if you get shunted from behind. It's always stuck so I always leave a gap.

Not on the one at LHR it isn't. Admittedly the layout of the roundabout doesn't help, but it's one of those roundabouts where it relies on a steady stream of traffic when the lights change.
Otherwise you end up with gridlock as everyone dithers after the light has turned green.

Which is, I believe, where we came in to this discussion.

TweedWasSoLastYear Thu 30-Jan-14 19:48:18

DMC . If you wedge your car up against the car in front you suck in all the smelly exhaust fumes from the car in front.
Plus you cannot move anywhere if an emergency vehicle needs to get through .
If the car in front stalls or breaks down for any reason you cannot manoever round it if you have left a 3" gap.
It can also be seen as agressive to the car in front and abit of a space invader move . Cars cause traffic jams , gaps do not.

Reduction Thu 30-Jan-14 19:30:02

Erm DMC, it's impossible to get trapped on a roundabout if the way off it was clear when you went on. It's the pillocks who go onto the roundabout when there's no way off who cause that particular problem.

Yes, I do drive in London and the south east. grin

chinley Thu 30-Jan-14 19:28:41

No Reduction, because, genereally, when you're in a car, you have somewhere you bloody need to go, hence being in your car!

I would also like to designate a specific zone of Hell for those who leave gaps in front of their car when queuing, thus causing traffic jams behind them of motorists trapped on roundabouts unable to exit because these pillocks are in the way.

In fact any driver that causes chaos behind them through being generally oblivious of their surroundings (random swervers, random brakers etc) should be forced to eat their own licences and never allowed to drive again. Gits.

Reduction Thu 30-Jan-14 19:04:13

Does no-one else find it amusing that all these poster's time is so precious that they can get this wound up about wasting a few seconds behind a driver with slow reactions but then have all the time in the world to bitch about discuss it on here?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now