Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

are dried apricots ok to give an (older) baby? what's this sulphate issue?

(23 Posts)
emeraldgirl1 Thu 30-Jan-14 09:32:45

She absolutely loves them (tears them apart with her teeth, she's a good chewer but I keep an eye on her) but someone's just told me there's a chemical on them. This person was eating non-chemicalised (?) ones but they looked very dry, hard and unappetising. The ones I give DD help with her constipation and I know they're high in iron so I'd rather keep giving them if poss but do I need to switch to the hard, non-sulphate (?) ones?

Seeline Thu 30-Jan-14 09:35:47

I think I used to give mine organic ones, but it was a while ago now.
If they are too hard, you could soak them in boiling water until they get a bit softer.
I used to puree them and mix into porridge for mine.

emeraldgirl1 Thu 30-Jan-14 09:38:30

Oh good idea re the soaking
I think the ones I'm giving her are organic (must check packet) but they've also def got this sulphate chemical on as they're plump and orange-looking not dark, caramel-coloured

Seeline Thu 30-Jan-14 09:46:45

Yep - it's the dark ones that are sulphite free. I have no idea what the issue is blush and I have to say my 9yo seems happiest with the orange ones now - but hopefully old enough to process any baddies.

emeraldgirl1 Thu 30-Jan-14 09:47:10

Thank you!!

chocoluvva Thu 30-Jan-14 09:52:14

The bright orange ones have been treated with a sulphite-based preservative. Some people are sensitive to sulphites - headaches, general feeling of being unwell, amongst other things.

The drier, darker (usually organic) apricots will plump out with soaking but you can put them in the microwave in a little water for 30 seconds to get the same effect as soaking.

RayPurchase Thu 30-Jan-14 09:55:00

You can buy the dark ones 'ready to eat' in supermarkets - I cant remember which one though. Sorry not that helpful! I think they taste much nicer than the orange ones too all caramelly and delicious!

Osmiornica Thu 30-Jan-14 10:00:33

The organic non sulpahte ones are something 'jacks' and are in a green packet in most supermarkets I think. They're the ones we buy but can't remember the full name.

Osmiornica Thu 30-Jan-14 10:01:40

er, I can't type, I meant sulphites!

chocoluvva Thu 30-Jan-14 10:09:28

Jack's Organics IIRC.

emeraldgirl1 Thu 30-Jan-14 10:16:17

thank you! Will get some at supermarket later. we dont have a microwave but am asusming i could soak them in boiling water for 10 mins or so for same effect?

SomewhatSilly Thu 30-Jan-14 10:18:52

Sulphites as a preservative are used in a wide range of foods including bacon and lots of sausages. They also occur naturally in a wide range of foods.

chocoluvva Thu 30-Jan-14 10:20:23

Sorry. I've just remembered - they're 'Crazy Jacks' (probably other brands available too.)

And microwaving for 30 secs possibly isn't a time-saver as they need time to cool after.

SomewhatSilly Thu 30-Jan-14 10:22:01

Just googled and got a list of everything from eggs to yoghurt to vinegar...

Healthy eating's a bloody nightmare.

chocoluvva Thu 30-Jan-14 10:22:01

Apparently red wine is more likely to cause a hangover because it has more sulphites than white wine.

(But I don't expect you'll be giving your baby wine grin )

chocoluvva Thu 30-Jan-14 10:22:44

I wouldn't give bacon or sausages containing nitrites to a baby.

specialsubject Thu 30-Jan-14 10:31:08

I bet she loves them because they are so sweet. Perhaps no more than one at a time because you wouldn't give her more than one undried apricot.

dried fruit does indeed clear the tubes, though!

TheDrugsWorkABitTooWellThanks Thu 30-Jan-14 10:33:08

Not too many.
I still have nightmares about the whole pack of apricots eaten by PFB. He was wresting two nappies at a time for days. And 2 baby grows. And still the car seat was a write off.

TheDrugsWorkABitTooWellThanks Thu 30-Jan-14 10:33:28

Wearing. And maybe wrestling.

SomewhatSilly Thu 30-Jan-14 10:41:07

Don't worry, I'm not advocating giving babies bacon!

Poor bacon-deprived babies sad

chocoluvva Thu 30-Jan-14 10:50:36

My teenage children have stopped eating food containing nitrites after I had bowel cancer. They claim that they don't eat bacon etc when they're out and they miss bacon. They don't eat smoked foods either now.

It sometimes surprises me that mums who have gone to great lengths to exclusively breast-feed their babies happily give them sausages and ham when they're under a year old. sad

Don't get me started!

SomewhatSilly Thu 30-Jan-14 11:04:23

Sorry to hear that, chocco, but I don't think it's that simple.

chocoluvva Thu 30-Jan-14 11:11:23

The geneticist described the risk of eating 'processed' meats contributing to bowel cancer as the same as smoking two cigarettes a day contributing to lung cancer.

Lung and bowel cancer are the second and third most common cancers of British women.

I know that there are several other risk factors eg being overweight, immoderate alcohol consumption, lack of exercise etc, but it's so easy to avoid bacon, sausages and smoked foods...

The average age of diagnosed bowel cancer patients is going down. And colorectal cancers tend to have been growing slowly for years and years before they're detected. Younger people are more likely to be diagnosed at a later stage of the disease (sometimes too late - it was nearly too late in my case) because doctors haven't caught up with the stats and put symptoms down to IBS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now