Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

DD has just smashed her 2nd iPad!!

(533 Posts)
curiousgeorgie Wed 29-Jan-14 21:11:09

After stupidly telling people how careful she is with it and that it didn't have a scratch on it, DD (then aged almost 3) dropped buzz lightyear onto DH's iPad and shattered the screen...

Today, running into the kitchen carrying mine, she's dropped it face down onto tile floor and it is totally fucked smashed to pieces.

Apple store say they don't fix them!

Please tell me someone does? I in no way can afford a new one!!

(And she said "I'm so sorry mummy... And I'm sorry about Daddy's. Can I have
Nanny's?" shock)

PatriciaHolm Wed 29-Jan-14 21:12:55

Oh dear. This is going to end up a steady stream of people saying "What did you expect?! Giving a three year an IPad?!!" any minute now.

Lesson learned - don't give a three year old an expensive gadget you can't afford to replace.

curiousgeorgie Wed 29-Jan-14 21:13:29

I said stupidly wink

RhondaJean Wed 29-Jan-14 21:14:05

Apple store do fix them they just charge.

Accidents happen eh.

NinjaBunny Wed 29-Jan-14 21:14:28

Insurance?

Helpyourself Wed 29-Jan-14 21:15:05

Sorry, I agree with Patricia.

PatriciaHolm Wed 29-Jan-14 21:15:11

Lots of local repair shops will do it. It won't be cheap though (less than £50 it's likely to be a poor screen)

curiousgeorgie Wed 29-Jan-14 21:15:36

Apple store said they don't replace screens? They just suggested I get a new one and eBay the old one as damaged? ( apparently people still buy them.)

I called the Kingston apple store...

BitOutOfPractice Wed 29-Jan-14 21:15:37

Tell me you have them insured. Please

hazeyjane Wed 29-Jan-14 21:15:38

Ouch!

If you do get a replacement, get a Griffin Survivor case.

CatAssTrophy Wed 29-Jan-14 21:15:50

My 6yo's Leappad has been dropped about 20 times. Not a scratch or dent on it.

Maybe your dd would be better with something like that?

KiwiBanana Wed 29-Jan-14 21:16:15

Uh oh! Happens to the best of us though. We got ours fixed for about £70 I think, much cheaper than a new iPad!

TrinityRhino Wed 29-Jan-14 21:16:17

local places fix them

then get a survivor case

DrNick Wed 29-Jan-14 21:16:20

then she is too young to have one!

sparklyma Wed 29-Jan-14 21:16:23

They aren't toys and its not surprising a three yr old would break one. What a waste of £300+.

curiousgeorgie Wed 29-Jan-14 21:16:38

Not insured.

And don't worry - she is NEVER touching a screen again.

Ever.

sooperdooper Wed 29-Jan-14 21:16:54

I got a rreplacement screen screen for an iPhone, I'm sure you can for an iPad, just don't let a 3 year old play with it again!

mummylin Wed 29-Jan-14 21:17:44

My dh sent for a screen for our gd from an eBay shop. But we were lucky and have a friend who could fix it. Think it was £19 and it's fine. Was an iPad 2

curiousgeorgie Wed 29-Jan-14 21:17:56

She did used to sit and play perfectly on it. Drawing and playing a Sofia game. It was a godsend in restaurants.

sooperdooper Wed 29-Jan-14 21:18:46

Don't go to an apple store though, massive rip off, I got mine done at an independent place for about half what I was quoted in the apple store

HoneyDragon Wed 29-Jan-14 21:19:16

I have an otterbox or griffin case on every apple devise that resides in this house.

They are well worth the money.

curiousgeorgie Wed 29-Jan-14 21:19:51

I don't get how the apple store told me they don't do it then? I literally spoke to them as soon as it happened.

They're both iPad 3's.

Damnautocorrect Wed 29-Jan-14 21:19:57

Some shoe repair places have started doing screen replacements while you wait.
We have an amazing case for ds's. It was a tenner but it has a handle and overlaps the screen so unless something spears it the screen can't touch the floor. We got it in one of the kiosks in a shopping centre.
It's lasted three/ four years.

Wow OP you must have money to burn wink

You can get the screens repaired, local shops are cheaper than sending back to apple, shop around a bit. DP smashed the screen on his iphone, apple quoted £65!! but local phone shop repair guy did it for £30.

NameyMcChanger Wed 29-Jan-14 21:21:25

They can't fix the newer models as they're so thin.......well they can but they won't work properly. Our local, fixy place won't touch them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now