Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

How Tall Are These Women?

(37 Posts)
PipkinsPal Wed 29-Jan-14 14:18:30

Don't shout, but I read the DM online (too tight to buy a newspaper and the Sun charges smile ). Every day there is a weight loss story. Today's is a woman who has "Dropped from 17st 6lbs and size 24 to 9st 2lbs and size 8". I am pretty pissed off with these reports because I weigh 8st 7lb and there is no way on this earth I can get in a size 8. I did when I weighed around 7st which was not a healthy look. Surely she has excess baggy skin too? I'm more of a size 12. Is it because I'm just under 5ft, shop in the wrong places, the slimmers are deluded or the DM are liars? Please tell me your height, weight and dress size to make me feel better about myself.

Woolyhooker Wed 29-Jan-14 14:28:08

I'm 5ft 9, about 11.5 stones and I'm a size 12 on the bottom and a size 16/18 on top due to excessive norkage. I'll never be a size 8 but I'm quite happy with that smile Though it's a bugger trying to get a dress that fits me.

airforsharon Wed 29-Jan-14 14:28:15

I don't think anyone can claim to be just one 'size' any more, because it varies so much from store to store. I usually wear size 8 jeans from Next, for example, but would need a 10 from Top Shop or M&S. Likewise shirts - I can usually fit a 10/12 from Next, but need a 14 from Top Shop. I've got a couple of 16s from H&M.

Fwiw, I'm 5'9 and weigh about 9 and a half stone.

JupiterGentlefly Wed 29-Jan-14 14:28:51

I am 5 ft 10 weigh 9.4 and am size 8 -10. Id like to be a 12 but have a very active job.

MunchMunch Wed 29-Jan-14 14:29:29

Over the years sizes have got bigger, e.g, when I was younger and 8st I was a size 8-10 (6 being very unusual in shops), I put on loads of weight over the years but lost 3st taking me to about 11st 7lb and a size 12-14. There is no way I would have ever got into a 12-14 at that weight years ago.

I'm 5ft and also have overhang on my belly! The woman in the paper might also be tall and have a totally different body shape to us.

SundaySimmons Wed 29-Jan-14 14:30:52

5'5 and a half! I used to be 5'6 but last few hospital visits have me as a half inch less!

Eight and a half stone

Size ten.

Although, some clothing comes up in strange sizes or I deliberately buy bigger or smaller size for a baggier or a tighter fit.

Chest size is a factor. I don't have big boobs, and large boobs weigh quite a bit I would imagine?

I also don't believe the size 8 claims in the daily mail as you can clearly see they are not that size.

If I shopped in wallis I would wear an 8 or even a 6 as they come up very large, so perhaps that's where these women get away with claiming to be a dress size smaller than what they are!

Eastpoint Wed 29-Jan-14 14:32:34

I'm 5'6" & when I weighed 9st 2lbs I fitted jeans size 25 which is an 8. I think height has a lot to do with it, also body composition, when I was under 9st my periods stopped as I just didn't have enough body fat. My mum weighed around 9 ¼ stone all her life, was 5'9" but was larger framed than me & a 10/12.

MargotLovedTom Wed 29-Jan-14 14:33:37

Airforsharon - I'm really shocked at that. My friend is about 5ft5, weighs 9st and is in size 10s across the board.You're significantly taller, only half a stone heavier and wearing some 14s and 16s.

I think newspapers carry very skewed accounts of people's sizes. Remember when Vanessa Feltz was a size 12?!

MomeRath Wed 29-Jan-14 14:35:09

Frame size is definitely a factor. I am 5'5, 9 and a half stone and am a small size 10. I have a really small frame with narrow shoulders.

mawbroon Wed 29-Jan-14 14:38:25

I am 5ft 2" (almost) and weigh 9.5 stone. Fuck knows what size I am. Some of my clothes are 14s, some are 8s and they all fit.

Stupid sizing system!

DameBabsLoveCheese Wed 29-Jan-14 14:39:58

I'm 6ft tall and so my version of a size 10 would see my weighing a hell of a lot more than someone who was your height OP. Even at my slimmest when I was a size 10, I weighed substantially more than most of you would be comfortable with.

From a slightly different perspective - I have a friend who looks an awful lot bigger than me but we both wear a size 16/18- the difference being we are about a foot different in height. Therefore her length/width ratio is significantly larger than mine yet we're the same size.

I console myself with that fact whenever I feel glum about being a size 16/18.

Height is the key I think.

SundaySimmons Wed 29-Jan-14 14:43:02

This website allows women to upload their height weight and dress size so you can see how different each person looks with comparative sizes

www.mybodygallery.com

KayHarker1 Wed 29-Jan-14 14:43:58

I'm 5'7" and a size twelve. I don't weigh myself anymore as I got a bit obsessive, but I used to be a size 16 about 6 months ago. I recall yesterday there was lots of nonsense about Beyonce being a size 6 now. Utter crap.

GinOnTwoWheels Wed 29-Jan-14 14:48:37

A lot of it must be your height OP, you can't deny that you are short grin. However, you also say that you were 'too thin' and unhealthy looking at a size 8, so that's not really something to aspire to.

A good tip would be to stop reading the DM, as it appears that one of its major objectives, along with hating public sector workers, anyone on benefits, or anyone foreign, is to hate women and criticise them for being too fat or too thin. If you don't read it you'll probably feel better about yourself, honestly. smile.

I might be a size 8 at 9 stone, but I'm 5'7'' and even then I probably wouldn't because of my hips, and I would have very low body fat and get into the 'too thin' range at anything below 10 stone to be honest. So I wouldn't be healthy IMHO.

I too have clothes that range across a number of sizes, and don't think anyone can claim to be 'a size' anymore. And yes, most of what they write about everything women, weight and size, is simply WRONG.

Eastpoint Wed 29-Jan-14 14:55:10

I just had a look at the article & no she doesn't look like a size 8. However she looks a lot healthier now so well done to her. I hope they paid her for her story.

Normalisavariantofcrazy Wed 29-Jan-14 15:03:20

At 5'10 and 14st I'm a size 16/18 so add 3 stone and I'd be pushing a 24 easily.

Depends on your body shape.

Some people I know weigh 10st and are wearing a size 16/18 due to where the fat sits on them

SundaySimmons Wed 29-Jan-14 15:08:31

Beyonce is 5'6.5.

She has lost weight as seen here in this white dress.

'And now Michael Costello, who designed the white and nude gown, has revealed that the formerly bootylicious singer is now a size 2 (UK size 6). '

I would disagree. She has a smaller waist than me but much bigger bottom and breasts. I put her at a size 8 waist and a 10/12 top and bottom.

SundaySimmons Wed 29-Jan-14 15:10:09

Beyonce. I can't see a uk size 6. Given she is an inch taller than me, no way.

Milchardo Wed 29-Jan-14 15:14:00

I'm 5 foot 11 and at 13 stone I was a size 12. I have size 10 feet, though...

absentmindeddooooodles Wed 29-Jan-14 15:14:28

Im a size 10 on the bottom 6-8 on the top. Im 5.9" weigh about 9 and a half stone.

Sizes vary so greatly in different shops though. Also depends on cut and style of clothes.

If I buy very high waisted jeans I am easily an 8. However I generally buy ones that sit low on the hip so a size 10 is needed due to having quite wide hips.

It does amaze me in the magazines etc though....they show a pic of some celeb....saying shes a size 8 and im just thinking......like hell is that right!!! Also goes the other way too....think I saw an article on beyonce saying she was a size 18. Feck off!

absentmindeddooooodles Wed 29-Jan-14 15:15:05

This was like 3 years ago though. Are they saying shes a 6 now?!?!

absentmindeddooooodles Wed 29-Jan-14 15:17:52

Just read the comment before. Doh.

No way can she be a 6. She has a bigger ( and much nicer) bum and boobs than I do and I average an 8. Waist is small fair enough but shes lovely and curvy....most of the size 6 jeans I see are literally straight. Not much room for hips and bum. .

MotionCity Wed 29-Jan-14 15:19:14

9st 4 and 5'11" - I'd consider myself an 8-10, but have found myself needing 8s most of the time recently. I do have a very small frame, though.

ItsATIARA Wed 29-Jan-14 15:52:46

9 stone and 5'4"

I have a handful of size 8 clothes from larger sized stores - Next and M&S, I'm a real size 12. If you try stuff on in M&S then all will become clear OP - I guess you're shopping at young person's stores.

sebsmummy1 Wed 29-Jan-14 15:58:41

A lot of the time they say 'dress size 10'. Now at 10stone 3 and 5ft 7 I was a dress size 10 but a jean size 12/14. I think many British women are pear shaped and they just dress the slimmest part and go with that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now