Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

HAVE YOU DONE IT YET?? Tax Return??

(154 Posts)

Time is running out...

RutaSkadi Thu 23-Jan-14 16:37:28

Noooooooo sad

Mine should be easy as it's only for a few months and I didn't earn much. I've registered and got my code, but am scared to look at the form in case it's hard or I have something missing.

I might peek after tea, please tell me it's easy!

I don't earn loads and I don't claim any expenses. It was very simple. I ticked no to just about ervery box and entered the amount Id earned. Job done.

CaractacusPotts Thu 23-Jan-14 16:46:08

I've done my accounts (like a good girl) and they've been done ages, I'm still procrastinating with regards to entering and submitting with HMRC :-/

NormHonal Thu 23-Jan-14 16:46:27

I've done the return, but need to investigate further, as I went to pay the bill online earlier and it says balance "£0.00". I didn't think I had chosen the option to pay via PAYE, but maybe I did?!

RutaSkadi Thu 23-Jan-14 16:47:35

That sounds like me, I just have to track down a p45.
Thanks, I feel a bit better.

GrandadGrumps Thu 23-Jan-14 16:49:11

Unless you've got very complicated tax affairs then it's much easier than you could ever imagine. Things like capital expenditure (vehicles and equipment etc.) for the self-employed can be a bit taxing (sorry) but the rest is very simple.

TheDrugsWorkABitTooWellThanks Thu 23-Jan-14 16:52:32

Yes. All 3 (don't ask!)

Feeling very virtuous until next January. ;)

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Thu 23-Jan-14 16:59:29

Yes, on Monday, which is a good 10 days earlier than I normally tackle it.

And settled my bill of £0.40 smile

GrandadGrumps Thu 23-Jan-14 17:00:11

NormHonal, I'm usually in credit but I don't think it updates the account as soon as you make the return, it takes a day or so for the balance due to update - I think.

WingDefence Thu 23-Jan-14 17:06:05

I've started it but it's my first time and I find it very confusing (and I'm a chartered accountant blush). It was triggered because of the child benefit claim changes but I thought I'd only have to enter the CB I'd received for the year.

My boss told me in passing the other day that actually it's only for Jan-Mar because the CB benefits came in in jam and anyway once I take into account my pensions contributions I'd be under that £50k limit anyway so now I'm even more confused and scared to log back in.

Help sad

WingDefence Thu 23-Jan-14 17:07:15

*Jan not jam!

BlueGoddess Thu 23-Jan-14 17:08:44

The child benefit goes from 7th (?) January to 5th April. For every £100 you are over the 50k threshold you pay 1% back.

36 to go.......

FragglerockAmpersand Thu 23-Jan-14 17:11:39

Yes. And paid my tax. And was astonished to realise I'd miscalculated the contents of my current account and could buy the DM's have had my beady longing eyes on for about 4 months

SMUG SMUG SMUG SMUG SMUG grin

<awaits slapping>

Good luck everyone though. This was my first year of self employment and the strain nearly killed me dead.

FragglerockAmpersand Thu 23-Jan-14 17:12:29

Ruta it is easy. Honest. As long as you have kept your accounts. But with so much stuff being online/by email it's hard to lose things...

NormHonal Thu 23-Jan-14 17:13:20

GrandadGrumps thanks, but I actually filed the return about 6 weeks ago! It shows the amount I owe, which is correct, but then a zero balance and no option to pay online as I've seen in the past.

I need to check PAYE, see if it's being deducted there (CB repayment).

FourAndDone Thu 23-Jan-14 17:19:40

Help! My partner went from been employed to self employed sep 2013. We have an accountant who we will see in march. Does he still need to do a tax return now??

RustyHalo Thu 23-Jan-14 17:20:01

No sad
Been avoiding it all day. But got loads of washing & tidying done instead smile
Should be straight forward enough so will have a look later.

FragglerockAmpersand Thu 23-Jan-14 17:24:18

Four no - this is for the tax year ending April 2013. Relax! smile

Four and done - if he has gone self employed from Sep 2013 it will be the tax return due online on Jan '15.

Tax year Apr 2012 - Apr 2013 due Jan '14

NoSquirrels Thu 23-Jan-14 17:26:28

fouranddone tax return deadline is for the tax year 2012-2013 so no need for your husband to do one till next year. But he does need to inform HMRC that he's self-employed now if he hasn't already done so.

FourAndDone Thu 23-Jan-14 17:34:36

Thank you!! He did say that, I always feel better when I get a second opinion from mumsnet though!winkgrin

WingDefence Thu 23-Jan-14 18:37:46

BlueGoddess I'm only just over which is why it agreed to keep receiving CB.

So do I only have to fill in the return for Jan-Mar (I know it's a bit longer than that)? I assumed there turn is only for one year and isn't adaptable.

And do I just get the figures from my P60 plus CB amounts?

Thanks in advance.

GrandadGrumps Thu 23-Jan-14 18:54:56

You fill in the return for the whole year but the CB repayment for 2012-13 is only based on 7 January 2013 to 5 April 2013.

Bloody ridiculous idea, it would have been far better/simpler/fairer to just increase tax a bit for everyone earning over £50k. The number of unnecessary arguments I've seen between couples in the £50-60k marginal case is ridiculous, as is the amount of extra effort (and administrative expenditure) relating to all those people suddenly brought into the Self Assessment system for no good reason. Bloody ridiculous.

WitchWay Thu 23-Jan-14 19:00:27

Paid my tax bill at the Post Office on Tuesday - I fucking HATE doing that - seeing them getting all the money in a big lump because I'm self-employed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now