Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Driving after a C-section

(18 Posts)
Juno77 Thu 23-Jan-14 12:16:33

What's the rule here? I was told 6-8 weeks, then I was told it depends on your insurance company, then I was told you have to wait to be signed off by a doctor.

I called my insurance company and they say they follow the DVLA guidelines.
The DVLA guidelines say:

You don’t need to tell DVLA if you’ve had a caesarean section.
You can be fined up to £1,000 if you don’t tell DVLA about a medical condition that affects your driving. You may be prosecuted if you’re involved in an accident as a result.

Most women do not feel fit to drive for a few weeks after a caesarean, and many wait till after the 6-week check. You should stop driving after a caesarean section and only start driving again when your doctor says it’s safe to do so.

---

So, what do you do? Do you make an appointment at the doctor once you feel 'fit' to drive? Or is there a set time for this?

Nicknacky Thu 23-Jan-14 12:31:15

I spoke to a doc at four weeks post section and was back driving. I have to confess to being really naughty and I haven't even checked what my insurance said. I seemed to remember last time it was fine as long as I had the all clear. Whoops!

MrsBucketxx Thu 23-Jan-14 12:39:50

I left it six weeks when I had my check bwtter to be safe than sorry.

I did drive immediately after dd oooppps wrong choice the pain will haunt me for life.

Juno77 Thu 23-Jan-14 12:41:15

So, do you 'get' this check as standard?

Do you need something written?

HauntedNoddyCar Thu 23-Jan-14 12:43:42

I went to gp. We talked about how I was and she said fine. Rang insurance said gp said ok and that was all fine.

Nicknacky Thu 23-Jan-14 12:43:48

To be honest, I was in the surgery for another appointment and I spoke to a doc in passing. She gave me the ok and mentioned nothing about needing it in writing. Maybe phone your surgery?

DavenotChas Thu 23-Jan-14 12:44:43

I drove at about 3 weeks post c section as I felt able. I did however ring my insurance company to check their stance on it and was told that as long as i hadn't specifically been advised not to drive by my Doctor it had no bearing on my policy.

Juno77 Thu 23-Jan-14 12:52:11

So, basically as long as I feel okay, I can drive?

dannydyerismydad Thu 23-Jan-14 12:53:10

I spoke to my insurers who said it was fine as long as a GP had cleared me to drive. I felt a bit mean taking up a doctors appointment just to ask for permission to drive, so I waited for my 6 week check.

Had I not lived in walking distance of a supermarket and a children's centre, I probably would have got myself signed off sooner.

SockQueen Thu 23-Jan-14 12:54:13

You need to be able to do an emergency stop safely.

dannydyerismydad Thu 23-Jan-14 12:54:37

Feeling "fine" means that you'd be perfectly happy to do an emergency stop and that it would cause you no pain to do so.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Thu 23-Jan-14 12:58:04

My insurance co said they weren't fussed! Although i've heard that you need to be able to perform an emergency stop.
I think I drove with a pillow between the seat belt and my stomach for a bit.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Thu 23-Jan-14 12:58:34

x-post!

AnAdventureInCakeAndWine Thu 23-Jan-14 13:03:22

My GP before said that if I felt safe to drive and do an emergency stop then that would be fine. As it happens I had whooping cough and didn't drive for a couple of months because I would have sudden and unpredictable paroxysms of coughing.

paddyclampo Thu 23-Jan-14 13:05:22

I drove 10 days after my C-section. It didn't hurt so I did it! I think every case is different but the 6 weeks thing is urban myth.

It annoys the hell out of me because I think it adds to the stress of women who say, have a breech baby, and are upset / worried about needing a C-section, if they are then worried about being house bound for 6 weeks.

Juno77 Thu 23-Jan-14 13:28:23

Oh good. As this is my worry. We live semi-rurally (there is a train station but it's a 15 minute walk, and then a bus journey other end) and I can't get to my parents house, for example, without a car.

I am concerned about being housebound. I can walk to the shops etc, or get things delivered but when DH is out at work, if I can't drive I am stuck.

So 10 days, sounds fine!

specialsubject Thu 23-Jan-14 13:32:57

you call your insurers and do what they say - they vary. That is all that matters.

2anddone Thu 23-Jan-14 13:35:48

My hv told me if I could jump off my bottom stair and land on both feet I could drive. Apparently its something to do with the pressure to your cut jumping being the same as doing an emergency stop and your brain wont let you if it would hurt too much!
I drove 10 days after as felt housebound and could tell I was starting to get depressed about it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now