Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

How much do you pay Virgin Media?

(29 Posts)
SidandAndyssextoy Thu 23-Jan-14 09:52:11

I'm making that call today. We are paying far too much and are finally out of contract. As usual their new customer deals are far better than anything we're getting. I'd like to keep our TiVo as it's full of stuff we haven't had time to watch that won't be on DVD but otherwise want the smallest TV package. We have the middle Internet package I think and the all-inclusive phone tariff. What do you pay and for what? How little can I get them down to? If I have to, I will just say goodbye to the TiVo and buy a PVR and get Internet and phone elsewhere.

Pandsbear Thu 23-Jan-14 10:00:50

Good luck! Watching with interest as in Feb we are finally out of contract with them too as our linked mobile phone contracts end. But looking at all the other options they are much of a muchness (ie Sky) once you add in the phone line charge (and do we use the land line - er no...).

We actually have a really really old tarrif with Virgin - pre dates TiVo and all that so we actually pay a bit less than the current smallest package. Virgin has gradually eroded what we get for our ££ over the years and it took a while for us to notice - ie not being able to see the various series they have or the kids tv series on demand. Used to be all-in and now you pay more for all of those.

I ramble!

They will want to keep you so worth a go to see what they can offer you.

LittleBabyPigsus Thu 23-Jan-14 10:02:31

£13 a month but it's a 9 month student contract which is probably not helpful, and we only have TV and internet (no Tivo box).

Catrin Thu 23-Jan-14 10:03:37

My bill is usually around £68 a month which feels utterly extortionate, but am totally pathetic when it comes to shopping around/chanigng things, so clearly all my own fault. Would prefer just one of those free view thingies, but dd would be Very Upset if she lost the Nick channel...

SidandAndyssextoy Thu 23-Jan-14 10:04:47

I'm hoping they will pick up on the fact that I am genuinely happy to go if they can't offer me something decent. We are paying an absolute fortune.

SidandAndyssextoy Thu 23-Jan-14 10:06:17

We are stocking up on the Peppa and Ben and Holly DVDs, Catrin. And they are on YouTube too.

CatAssTrophy Thu 23-Jan-14 10:07:28

I'm currently being charged £39.95 a month for 'Large' Tv package and 'Small' broadband.

No landline.

I have looked into having internet only as we rarely watch the TV, instead we watch things on Iplayers or DVDs.

But when i tried to make 'the call', VM were quick to tell me that it'd end up costing the same as I'm paying now if i wanted to have Broadband only. This is because i would need to get a landline installed and would therefore also have to pay line rental.

So I've just left it.

Catrin Thu 23-Jan-14 10:08:23

Aaah, mine is a bit older than that - I carly/victorious/austin and ally all the way here confused

CatAssTrophy Thu 23-Jan-14 10:09:17

LittleBabyPigsus - How did you get that? I also just have a standard box (not Tivo) and Broadband and I'm paying almost £40 a month. Is this student deal for new customers only?

Pandsbear Thu 23-Jan-14 10:09:37

Think it also depends on what you want - you could go broadband only and freeview option. We mainly use the broadband and TV- the landline is simply a way of making ££ as far as I can see.

We are having a freeview aerial fitted in on Friday and sockets so that we have the option of no Virgin/cable. But still need the broadband....

SidandAndyssextoy Thu 23-Jan-14 10:11:08

I bet they're on YouTube too!

Last time I tried this they beat me down with how much better their Internet was than Sky, although I got a bit of a discount, but this time I'm not arsed about the TV so could just use Freeview and Netflix.

SidandAndyssextoy Thu 23-Jan-14 10:12:54

My ideal would be Internet only and TiVo box. We also need a landline as have awful mobile reception here.

CatAss it might be worth asking again as we're about to switch to Virgin specifically because they told us we could have internet only with no phone line...

IcaMorgan Thu 23-Jan-14 10:14:32

i pay approx £65 for Tivo, XL TV, 30mb broadband and all my calls

MrsLeonard Thu 23-Jan-14 10:26:16

too bloody much. this months bill is £103. thats for xl tv with a second box, unlimited phone and unlimited 60mb broadband. just been on to sky, they can do the same for £77 a month. time to ring virgin and get some money off i think.

addictedtosugar Thu 23-Jan-14 10:35:58

Nothing. We moved from them this week! Never had TV from them tho.
We found a better, cheeper package online,and rang them up to ask fro a MAC code as they were un-competitive. They went to the end of the earth to cut the package (and actuaaly halved it from 40-20), which brought the price, but not the package to what we'd found otherwhere. Worth a go if you know its expensive for what your getting.

KatoPotato Thu 23-Jan-14 10:39:42

We pay £59 for XL tv, tivo box and a v plus bod upstairs and unlimited phone calls. Also very high broadband.

I got this reduced last year and got the TiVo box installed for free and the other box moved.

Littlemisstax Thu 23-Jan-14 10:43:47

about £40 for broadband, phone with free evening and weekend calls and the smallest tv package with TiVo.

Badvoc Thu 23-Jan-14 10:47:01

We have broadband, large cable package and landline with virgin and pay £65 a month.
It seems a lot to me, but dh won't consider reducing.
Don't get me wring, we do use it...a lot smile

smashedhen Thu 23-Jan-14 10:53:35

I have broadband and landline with them -when I phoned to cancel my TV package they suggested I stayed with them on Freeview - this means I keep the box and can still get on demand, so if I decide to add packages later I don't pay a connection fee - however I currently don't pay for the TV. I'm paying about £40 a month

Same as KatoPotato

Crowler Thu 23-Jan-14 11:03:40

I just left Virgin, they were infuriating to deal with. My bill was 200/month (insane, I know) and they were not helpful at all - like when my broadband didn't work for 2 weeks!

And, their "return" process is a hilariously obvious attempt to make MORE money. They sent out a series of boxes & labels with a collection instructions, and lots of "Note! The replacement value of your set-top boxes is 150! (mine are 4 years old and could obviously not be used again - it's not even HDMI!) so be careful when you're packing & sending them, if we don't receive them we'll be forced to add this on to your bill!

myfurbyiseday Thu 23-Jan-14 11:08:03

Definitely ring them - if they know you're serious about cancelling they will offer you a deal. I rang a few weeks ago to cancel - we lost all Virgin services over Christmas which took them days to fix. I was so angry about the dcs having no tv on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day that I told them unless they offered something decent in way of compensation I was leaving.

We got Tivo box installed for free, a new super hub for faster broadband also installed for free, large TV, large broadband and landline rental all for £42 a month. Previously I was paying around £60 a month for broadband(no super hub) tv (no TiVo) and landline.

Quite pleased with discount although still think £42 a month a lot, however it's our only luxury!

LittleBabyPigsus Thu 23-Jan-14 11:11:42

Sorry - me and my 2 housemates pay £13 a month each, it's not the total! /sleepyhead

ShadowOfTheDay Thu 23-Jan-14 11:21:02

£40 a month - no TV - just broadband, landline and calls... but there is NO alternative for broadband round here...... right at the end of an old exchange line..... no fibre for the next 2 years... so we are stuck.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now