Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Toddler sleep- does earlier bedtime work?

(21 Posts)
Madallie Thu 23-Jan-14 06:08:44

Dd, 2.1 yo has started waking earlier - 6/6.30am. I put her to bed at 7.30pm but she usually doesn't go off Til 8.30pm. She has a nap of 1-1.5 hrs at 1pm.

Really don't want wake time to creep any earlier and already feel it's getting too early considering the time she goes to sleep. Does putting babies/toddlers to bed earlier really work? I fear she will just start waking at 5/5.30am. Being 38 wks pg I just can't face that right now.

spacegirl81 Thu 23-Jan-14 06:17:01

how easily does she go down for a nap? maybe limit it to an hour and see alternatively you might need to cut it out altogether. we had to do that with my DS around that age and now he sleeps 6:30-7/7:30 smile

Madallie Thu 23-Jan-14 06:21:35

That's my dilemma as she off within 5 mins at nap time, 10 mins max. On the days she wakes up herself after an hour she will fall asleep at about8pm rather than 8.30 but will then wake up at 6 am rather than 6.30am or any later.

spacegirl81 Thu 23-Jan-14 06:27:13

I feel your pain, its so tricky to know what to do for the best. it also makes it worse when pregnant and when baby does arrive those naps will be useful!! I was the same although I did have DS1 napping for a while as he was only 17 months when DS2 was born! shock

do you have a strict bedtime routine? bath, story, milk and bed? how long does she have in the bath? we restricted tv after dinner which did help and bath time was 5 minutes max. smile

Madallie Thu 23-Jan-14 06:37:02

I know, I feel I do all the 'right' things but never get it 'right' iyswim?

Yes, bedtime routine is, 6.50pm bath, 10 mins max, pjs, 2 short stories, milk and cuddle, in bed for 7.30, same every night. I usually have not TV at least 1-1.5hrs before bed but tbh this doesn't seem to affect the time she falls asleep.

Ur def right the naps will be so helpful when dc2 comes. I just feel that overall dd does not get sufficient sleep, nap and night combined.

spacegirl81 Thu 23-Jan-14 06:40:24

what time does she have dinner? you could bring bedtime forward slightly each night over a week. ours is dinner 4:30/5. bath at 6, stories and milk in bed for 6:30/6:45. they pretty much go straight to sleep. this is for both boys.

googietheegg Thu 23-Jan-14 06:45:52

I'd keep the nap and have bedtime a bit later.

Madallie Thu 23-Jan-14 06:49:53

Dinner is 5.30/6.

I guess maybe I have to accept she will only sleep 10 hrs at night now as opposed to the 10.5/11 of a few weeks ago.

With regard to cutting nap times, would it be worth only giving her an hour for a week or so to see if it lengthens night sleep.

What time do your dc wake in the morning?

TheGreatHunt Thu 23-Jan-14 06:49:55

It sounds fine to me. 6/6.30 isn't massively early.

Perhaps put her down earlier so she gets a longer stretch. Bedtime looks a bit late.

Madallie Thu 23-Jan-14 06:54:14

Googie do you think 10 hrs at night with a 1-1.5hr nap is sufficient for a just 2 yo? It seems a lot less than others her age but maybe I'm wrong.n

Madallie Thu 23-Jan-14 06:57:22

Thanks the great. Is it bedtime that u think is too late or the time she falls asleep?

Also it's not that I think 6-6.30 is that early it's moe about the total amount of sleep she gets per day I am concerned about.

spacegirl81 Thu 23-Jan-14 06:59:41

DS1 wakes 7-7/30. DS2 (14 months) around 6. it could be shes overtired so it struggling to settle. you could bring her nap forward a little so she has a longer waking gap between nap and bedtime. do you get the opportunity for fresh air in the afternoon, walk in the park to tire her out? smile

Madallie Thu 23-Jan-14 07:04:16

Maybe I'll try slightly earlier nap. We do get out most afternoons but maybe not as much the last couple of wks whilst I've been pg. I find walking for long quite difficult. Maybe that would improve things.

I find it doesn't make a difference so at least if they go to bed earlier you get more evening to yourself grin

Artandco Thu 23-Jan-14 07:07:57

I would keep nap and move bedtime later. If she's going to bed at 7.30 but not asleep until 8.30 , I would
Just put to bed at 8/8.30 and she will prob go to sleep quicker

Artandco Thu 23-Jan-14 07:08:48

Forgot to say I would much rather an hour later in eve for an hour later in am. Ours usually do 9pm-8/9am. Plus nap

spacegirl81 Thu 23-Jan-14 07:09:48

go easy on yourself too! your heavily pregnant! could she go in the garden wrapped up warm for half an hour so that way your not having to walk? smile

Madallie Thu 23-Jan-14 07:12:20

Thank you. I'd like that too. It just seems did has got in the habit of only sleeping 10 hours regardless of the bedtime. It seems such a short nights sleep when I hear what other toddlers sleep and see the recommended hours for each age.

Madallie Thu 23-Jan-14 07:15:25

Garden could be a good option. I'll try that. I'd just love her to sleep more than ten hours at night, whatever times that might be. It's not the fact that she wakes at 6/6.30 I'm fine with that, if she went to sleep earlier.

I would definitely try an earlier bed time. But do it gradually, so it's not noticeable. Say, 15 mins at a time for a few days.

My 3 year old goes between 6 and 6:30 most days and will sleep 12-13 hours.

googietheegg Thu 23-Jan-14 08:18:00

My dd is 21 months and she sleeps 8- 6.30 with a 2-3 hour nap from 12-2/3. As I work from home I'd rather keep the nap!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now