Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

There are some things you should never microwave.

(77 Posts)
LondonBus Wed 22-Jan-14 20:31:10

Today I learned shoe polish in a bottle (you know the shine and protect, fast application liquid one?) should never, ever be microwaved.

I no longer own a microwave. I have spend the entire evening scrubbing black polish off my kitchen after it exploded, blasting open the microwave door.

It seemed a logical thing to do at the time.....

purplemurple1 Wed 22-Jan-14 20:33:04

Why?

HopALongOn Wed 22-Jan-14 20:33:17

Please could you explain your logic?

I did set fire to a pair of socks once, by microwaving them.

Lottiedoubtie Wed 22-Jan-14 20:34:14

I have to ask. Why? What were you trying to achieve?

I'll join you on The Naughty Step there LondonBus

A few years ago, I had the brilllllll-i-ant idea of melting a lipstick into my lipgloss (in a tiny glass jar) to make a tinted lip-gloss.
Good idea?

No.

It melted. And with the high oil content of lip products, it foamed over the top and went boom.
The glass jar cracked.

So, I'm sans lipgloss. sans lipstick.
And a manky microwave......<sigh>

SundaySimmons Wed 22-Jan-14 20:41:54

My daughter warmed up a walnut whip!

Not a good idea!

Or rock cakes

We have a combi oven microwave thing.

DD2 seems to have pressed the wrong button and charred to oblivion the centre of a batch of rock buns.

Black smoke everywhere.

OuterFromOutersville Wed 22-Jan-14 20:42:25

grin Why why why?

CommunistLegoBloc Wed 22-Jan-14 20:42:31

I pride myself on being quite a good baker. I failed spectacularly to make a chocolate microwave mug cake thing. It both exploded and burned. My microwave and kitchen smelled for weeks

Changebagsandgladrags Wed 22-Jan-14 20:45:44

Under wired bra, not a good idea...

DollyHouse Wed 22-Jan-14 20:46:37

Jam tarts. With their tinfoil bottom on. They'll make the microwave go silly and flames will come out of the bottom of it.

LondonBus Wed 22-Jan-14 20:46:48

Now, to me, melting lipstick sounds genius!

In my defense, I put the shoe polish in the microwave last week, and it was fine....the sponge was all dried up and blocked. Clever me thought; it's wax, the wax will melt it, and it will work. With a bit of water on the sponge, voila! I was able to polish school shoes.

But tonight I left it in too long, and....Kerboom!

MrsBobHale Wed 22-Jan-14 20:49:30

A toilet roll that had half got wet being dropped in the bath. It doesn't get dry. And it can spontaneously combust after being taken out and burn a hole in the worktop.

It's cheaper to buy a new toilet roll!

Note. This wasn't me it was a family member.

Laska42 Wed 22-Jan-14 20:50:12

If you make microwave popcorn in a bowl with a plastic microwave lid on ,(which is yummy if done right ) Stand over it and take it out as soon as the pops die down) - about a minute and a half after it starts popping

..NEVER leave the room with the microwave on and forget about it .(even for a minute or two) ...

.. after about 5 minutes it sort of charcoals .. I rescued it probably just before it set it self alight .. .. I had to buy a new microwave.. and the utility room stank for weeks blush

Laska42 Wed 22-Jan-14 20:52:28

.. and the plastic lid ( which was a microwave lid ) melted and welded it self to the top of the bowl..

TonyThePony Wed 22-Jan-14 20:54:42

Changebags, did you just really want warm boobs? We've all been there on the bleak winter mornings... grin

LegoCaltrops Wed 22-Jan-14 20:55:20

I can raise you a box of matches. Never microwave this!

Not me (genuinely) but someone in my halls in my first week at university. In the middle of the night. Cue the fire alarms going off & we all had to wait in the rain in November, giving evil looks to the lot of brain donors that did it. The fire alarm went off another five times that night. Cue more evil looks.

JupiterGentlefly Wed 22-Jan-14 20:56:28

When my youngest was a baby, I came home after a night out, I was three sheets as was my father (my mum was responsible adult). I microwaved a bottle of milk (not recommended but it was my second child so what the hey?!) to take the chill off.. anyway as we were 'wined up' we forgot about it.. We remembered when there was an almighty blast!! The microwave door blasted open! The exploding milk took out chunks of the ceiling plaster.. the bottle was intact, the silicone teat was too.. it came clean out with the pressure. My fathers eyesight remained only due to the fact he had his glasses on, which were obscured with drying milk...
Oh I also microwaved an egg once.. (not in its shell as that would be really stupid.. almost as bad as microwaving breast milk) It was a poached one which i didnt feel was done enough. That exploded too.

ItsATIARA Wed 22-Jan-14 20:58:24

Do not give butter a quick blast on low to soften it if it is still wrapped in foiled paper wrapping hmm (old housemate's gf). Microwave did not actually explode but was never the same again.

Eggs in the shell. Even if you have taken the top off, or pierced it.
My mother did this. Her dippy egg was too runny so she popped it in the micro to finish it off. When she took it out it blew up in her face. It was hysterical to watch but painful! confused

tumbletumble Wed 22-Jan-14 21:02:33

DS microwaved the phone (land line not mobile). The microwave survived. The phone did not.

LegoCaltrops Wed 22-Jan-14 21:05:25

Can't help laughing at these. DH has just wandered upstairs, muttering about underwired bras & milk bottle bombs... grin

PedroYoniLikesCrisps Wed 22-Jan-14 21:05:44

Not so much an exploding incident but in my infinite wisdom as a teenager child, I decided to microwave some butter because it was a bit cold and hard and I needed it to be spreadable. Apparently it doesn't take long for a solid cold butter to become a warm oily liquid.

But that was ok because if I put it back in the fridge it would turn back into normal butter......

Laska42 Wed 22-Jan-14 21:08:36

oh yes , A safety note, (you probably know this but ..) , if you ever microwave a cup of tea or coffee to warm it up again....

After you have opened the door and before you take the mug out put (carefully) a long handled spoon or fork into the cup and stir ( making sure your hand is nowhere near )

A cup of microwaved liquid can heat up into a really hot bubble in the centre and when you move it explode over the sides burning your hand ,or worse mouth if you try and drink it without stirring .

so ALWAYS stir a microwaved cup before you move it or drink from it

Goldmandra Wed 22-Jan-14 21:16:43

Do not give butter a quick blast on low to soften it if it is still wrapped in foiled paper wrapping hmm (old housemate's gf). Microwave did not actually explode but was never the same again.

DD1 did this a few years ago.

When the sparking started she began to scream. DH was in the shower, heard her, got out grabbed towel and came downstairs to find the microwave still going.

By this time the sparking foil had set fire to the paper which was using the melted butter as a wick.

There are still black marks on the roof of my microwave but the wretched thing refuses to die so I can have a shiny new one on which the paint is intact and the LED display works sad

Scouring this thread for the best way to kill a microwave now smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now