Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Fines for being late to school. Incentive to get out of bed on time?

(115 Posts)
Sparklingbrook Wed 22-Jan-14 17:21:04

Here I have no idea how it will work.

Sparklingbrook Wed 22-Jan-14 17:23:01

Oh and the getting out of bed refers to the DC. grin Getting out of bed yourself isn't the difficult bit.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 22-Jan-14 17:26:49

I think it is a good idea.

We can all have a dreadful morning once in a while, but some children are late ALL the time and it must be horrid for them.

I help out with reading in my son's Y1 class a couple of times a week, and one little girl is late almost every day (I see her and her Dad walking up the road as I'm driving away after dropping DS on the mornings I don't stay to help). She misses a whole chunk of time in the mornings, doesn't get her turn reading because she is so late.

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 22-Jan-14 17:28:11

It's an awful idea. It doesn't take anything like traffic or other kids in other schools into account.

Also if people use public transport often it can be a case of choosing to get a bus that gets you there a couple of mins late or one that's 45 mins early.

It's not a case of "getting out of bed"

NinjaBunny Wed 22-Jan-14 17:28:39

Wow.

There's people at DS's school who are late every day. I see them walking up to school when I'm halfway home (and we live a mile from school).

Sparklingbrook Wed 22-Jan-14 17:31:22

I am projecting with the 'getting out of bed' bit. DSs of 14 and 11 who should be taking responsibility for getting up themselves.
DS1 goes on the school bus so my deadline is getting him to the stop.

Yes, I suppose it's more for the people who are late day after day.

bemusedisnottheword Wed 22-Jan-14 17:31:50

awful idea. sn ds can be very difficult in the mornings and as a result can make us all late. I have to drive them to two different schools and traffic can be a nightmare. not as simple as just get out of bed earlier hmm

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 22-Jan-14 17:34:23

I'm sure I've read on here also that people have been told at appeals to stagger children being late. Your transport and time problems mean nothing.

So actually some parents are in te shit position of kids in different schools with no hope of either child ever being on time.

Sparklingbrook Wed 22-Jan-14 17:34:57

When Dss were at First School there were the same 2 children late every single morning. One Mum did admit it was because she couldn't get out of bed. shock

CaptChaos Wed 22-Jan-14 17:36:28

Also with SN sons, DS1 refused to go to school, so I often had to fireman's lift him there after he had screaming tantrums, easily took 30 minutes to walk the 5 min walk every morning, wouldn't countenance leaving the house until he saw other children heading to school. DS2 pretty similar, had no car, different school, so a mile away, wouldn't walk, screamed like I was trying to kill him. I loved school runs!

They always got there in the end though.

SaucyJack Wed 22-Jan-14 17:36:52

Sod that.

If they bring that in here we'd have no choice but to home-school or I'd go bankrupt in a week.

SpottyDottie Wed 22-Jan-14 17:37:37

I wake my children at 7 and they are out of bed by ten past. I HATE being late for anything and they know this. I appreciate its hard getting children to school. But it's a necessary life skill. When they are adults they will need to be on time for work. Not to mention that if they are persistently late, it can be disruptive to the class and detrimental to learning if they've missed something.

Can you tell it's a real bugbear of mine? I know from experience. I was always taken to school late as a child and I hated it. I missed playing with my friends at the start of day and then all eyes would be on me as I got into class. Hated it.

Bloodyteenagers Wed 22-Jan-14 17:37:44

I think it's actually a good idea. Late 10 times in 12 weeks is a lot. And yes I know what it's like to have children in different schools and at least one of the children are sn. It's not a case of don't be late ever, just don't be late every week.

Given the road to school floods, rather unpredictably and our lanes are so narrow any farm vehicle, removal van, oil delivery or septic tank emptying tanker blocks it completely, these would go straight in the shredder.

Sparklingbrook Wed 22-Jan-14 17:44:14

£60 seems such a lot to start with. You would have thought they would have done it with a lesser charge to begin with.

bemusedisnottheword Wed 22-Jan-14 17:45:13

I dont think I could firemans lift ds, he's bigger than me grin

I am quite lucky as my primary school have a breakfast club thats starts at 8 so I drop dd2 and 3 off there first. nursery aren't really supposed to go to breakfast club but as we have a lovely headteacher who knows us all she's agreed to let dd3 attend and she's watched by the ta in her class. That leaves me free to sort dd1 who is great and ds who is a nightmare and prone to meltdowns in the morning. Most mornings run smoothly but at least two a fortnight are bad

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 22-Jan-14 17:47:09

It won't change the behaviour of the parents that couldn't care less, it's just going to take food out those poor children's mouths. Again punishing children for the parents crimes.

That goes for the parents it's aimed at originally. Not those in situations I have mentioned above.

Sparklingbrook Wed 22-Jan-14 17:48:03

My 2 always get up just in the nick of time with no time left other than shower, teeth, dressed. It's really stressful.

DaddyPigsMistress Wed 22-Jan-14 17:55:08

The persistently late parent that this is supposed to hit won't give a fuck, thing wont change and they wont pay.

We were always late as kids despite living 3 mins from the school. My mother was a power crazed woman and wouldnt let us leave the house until she said so.sometimes it would be midday before she would let us go. Being fined would of done fuck all, she would of just blamed us and given her another thing to moan about

shoofly Wed 22-Jan-14 18:09:05

If all the other things that have been tried haven't worked, I can see that the Headteacher might think this would act as a deterrent.

DS1school did have a problem with persistent lateness from a number of pupils. HT has put a real emphasis on literacy and numeracy. Has spent money on new books and arranging extra help for both the kids who are struggling and the ones who are doing well. He really emphasised how much kids were missing if they were late and was very proactively asking was there anything the school could do to help. Apparently the lateness figures are now almost negligible

cory Wed 22-Jan-14 18:28:09

Dd used to collapse on her way to school, either because her joints gave way or because of really bad panic attacks. While she was still under 10 I was able to pick her up and carry her, but once she got as tall as me I just couldn't do it (I did eventually end up having a prolapse which I think may have been related to too much lifting). What do you do with a child who is having a meltdown and struggling to breathe? And who does it at least once a week?

In secondary she was often late because her disabled transport ran late.

Sparklingbrook Wed 22-Jan-14 18:34:10

I think in some circumstances special dispensation should be allowed cory. Genuine medical reasons the school should be made aware of.

DS1 has been late a couple of times and he was on the school bus, I would not be taking responsibility for that.

AllDirections Wed 22-Jan-14 18:35:57

There's people at DS's school who are late every day. I see them walking up to school when I'm halfway home (and we live a mile from school).

Same here but I'm also sure that they wouldn't pay any fines either.

Our HT is leaving and some parents are going to get such a shock when she's replaced! At the moment a lot of (the same) parents are late every day, take holidays when they like, uniform is lacking, lunch boxes are full of crap and there's not much homework/reading gets done. My DDs have been to several primary schools between them and I've never known a school be so lax about everything.

TeWiSavesTheDay Wed 22-Jan-14 18:42:04

I can see that it doesn't work as one size fits all.

But I was always late in and collected late as a primary child and knowing my parents a fine would have made an impact where polite words did not!

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 22-Jan-14 18:47:11

But how would you decide who to fine and who not to fine? All reasons are valid to those involved regardless of how anyone sees them.

And it depends on the head to. Some may be sympathetic to the daily struggles endured by parents who spend all morning driving their three kids to three schools or picking up their poor collapsed dd.

Others may not give a crap your child had a meltdown five mins before you were due to leave.

It all comes down to luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now