Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Just had our Gas and Electric bill. We are in credit. On both.

(23 Posts)
Sparklingbrook Wed 22-Jan-14 10:20:40

The Gas direct debit is going down by a tenner a month too.

shock How can this be?

<cranks heating up to 'Barbados', takes cardi off>

I recently found out I'd overpaid by £700. They still put my monthly payment up hmm

Sparklingbrook Wed 22-Jan-14 10:24:34

Noo Pickled. Why? shock Did you tell them you wanted the £700 back?

Floralnomad Wed 22-Jan-14 10:25:18

I was in credit on both when my latest bill came in ,and they wanted to put the gas down £18 and the electric down £10 ,but I've told them to leave it . I've had my heating on 24/7 since the start of November so was pleasantly surprised.

Sparklingbrook Wed 22-Jan-14 10:35:52

I'm glad it's not just me Flora. I was all prepared to do the change supplier thing as I assumed the credit we had accrued would be swallowed by the bill and then we would be in debt to them.

They are keeping the credit which makes sense.

Selks Wed 22-Jan-14 10:42:02

I've just had an £800 repayment by my energy supplier as I was in credit by that much. I just phoned them and asked for it, and it went back in to my bank account a few days later. It's your money, they can't legally hold on it it if you request it back.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 22-Jan-14 10:46:00

Another one who is in credit and had their combined g/e bill reduced by £20/month. <Adopts gloomy Eyeore voice> It won't last....

LilyBlossom14 Wed 22-Jan-14 10:48:20

is it an actual meter reading? - if so you could well be paying too much. Wouldn't normally expect to be much in credit at this time of year.

Doubtfuldaphne Wed 22-Jan-14 10:49:07

I'm jealous
We just got ours and it was 600 for three months on the gas and 200 for three months for electricity
We have a small cottage and there are four of us.
Does this sound weirdly high or about right?

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 22-Jan-14 10:49:38

I send monthly meter readings so it's definitely accurate. It's been a very mild winter so far - certainly compared to last year when Jan and Feb were icy from start to finish.

Floralnomad Wed 22-Jan-14 10:53:41

doubt I pay £80 gas and £65 electric monthly ,and I'm in a good sized 4 bed detached (20 yrs old) ,and my heating is on 24/7 at 22/23 from 8 am to 11 pm and then 17/18 overnight . So based on that yes you are paying too much.

LilyBlossom14 Wed 22-Jan-14 10:55:55

it has been a very mild winter so far - my consumption is half what it was last year. Long may it continue.

Doubt that sounds v expensive - was that a reading after a series of low estimates?

MirandaWest Wed 22-Jan-14 10:58:16

I want to have my latest bill - I give first utility my readings every month but still not had the bill for the figures I gave at the end of December.

I was in credit before and pretty sure I will still be. I know they don't like giving you it back but I think I'll wait until about April and see if I'm still in credit and if so might see if I can get it. Or get my DD reduced.

Grumbliest Wed 22-Jan-14 11:05:04

Mine was £430 duel fuel with British gas.. We have the heating on all night and a couple of hours in the day but at a low (maybe 21 degrees), always use dryer and spin but mainly use iPad. We have a small 3 bed end terrace. I think I could reduce it by setting the heating on timer and obviously drying outdoors. There's 4 of us here

Sparklingbrook Wed 22-Jan-14 11:51:12

4 of us in a three bed. We pay £75 pm for Electric and £53 pm for Gas. Gas boiler/electric cooker-all usual white goods. heating on morning and evening unless minus temps outside.

Slapntickleothewenches Wed 22-Jan-14 12:04:02

We have no gas but are actually in credit with our electric by about £400 shock
I actually sent DH a screenshot of the bill when I got it, I was that excited grin

sherbetpips Wed 22-Jan-14 12:09:50

we got refunded twice last year, £300 each time, end of winter and end of summer. Its because we have a shiny new boiler - well worth the investment.
They still tried to put the DD up by £15, saying that bills were going up this year. I succesfully argued that they are not going up by £600 and they should at least reduce it by a £10.
They did, account looks pretty normal at the moment. Will see what happens in March!

Doubtfuldaphne Wed 22-Jan-14 12:39:35

Oh dear mine is definitely too high. I've only lived here 6 months and the first bill was very low - none based on estimated readings.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Wed 22-Jan-14 12:43:39

Nice work. I hope you will treat yourself to something nice with your otherwise allocated to bills money.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Wed 22-Jan-14 12:44:54

Last year, my gas/electric got underestimated by £1k. Not good at all. However my water was overestimated so that all this year I only pay £1.80ish a month.

Sparklingbrook Wed 22-Jan-14 17:45:47

Blimey property major underestimate. sad

NewYearDifferentName Wed 22-Jan-14 17:51:16

My parents most recent bill saw them over £1000 in credit on their gas account - and their monthly DD is going from £90 to £25!! Their electricity account is also in credit (but only by £75) and, for now, the DD is staying at £90.

I can see them being in credit by a lot come their next bill for electric - and they're waiting for a cheque from the gas account!!

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Wed 22-Jan-14 19:04:21

Yeah. T'was gutting. We had moved in and I guess we had many reading for the best part of a year. I do suspect sone of it might ave been down to the previous owner but the gas/lec insisted it was worked out per the reading we gave when we arrived. Expecting a bill after the latest reading last week any day now. Am hoping it won't be more than £600 for last 4 or 5 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now