Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

A thread for stupid questions

(264 Posts)
SnakeyMcBadass Sat 18-Jan-14 14:29:41

I have a cold. I can hear my own pulse, and it got me thinking. Does your blood move smoothly around your body, or does it sort of shunt along in a jerky motion with each heartbeat? Also, are your veins always full? Or is there some fluctuation in blood volume?

Feel free to add your own while we wait for knowledgeable people to come along and point and laugh.

DameDeepRedBetty Sat 18-Jan-14 14:38:06

a) It shunts along in jerks with each heartbeat.

b) Your blood does change volume, but not in the timescale of a heartbeat.

SnakeyMcBadass Sat 18-Jan-14 15:06:52

Ooh, thanks Dame smile So what effects blood volume? Can you have 'empty' veins?

phantomnamechanger Sat 18-Jan-14 15:10:23

you cant have empty veins, without a constant supply of oxygen through the blood that bit of body would die

you obviously have less blood all of a sudden if you have a big bleed/accident, or if you give blood. I forget how long it takes to replenish the blood you donate - 24hrs maybe? <don't quote me>

Can you see other moons? I know stars are other suns but can you see other moons (not earth's moon) in our night sky?

Why is it when people in films are stuck underwater and about to drown, someone can dive down and breathe oxygen into them to keep them alive when we breathe out carbon dioxide?

You can see other moons with binoculars. Cant remember which ones though

Cakebaker35 Sat 18-Jan-14 15:25:30

Gertrude not all stars are other suns. But yes you can see other moons with a good telescope.

Youve, it's because those films are bollocks grin

Why can't men see crumbs?

Only about 5% of exhalation breath is co2, its still contains about 15% oxygen (having breathed in 20%)

Terrortree Sat 18-Jan-14 15:28:01

Youvecat...

We breathe out a combination of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide. Air is around 21% oxygen, and if I remember we consume around 4% of it, e.g. we exhale around 17 percent Oxygen.

thanks Beyond

Makes me think we humans are a bit oxygen wasteful then really
We should evolve to be more efficient.

Terrortree Sat 18-Jan-14 15:28:49

That's why mouth to mouth resus is possible (but I'm not sure about underwater though...)

....and Terrortree grin

SockQueen Sat 18-Jan-14 15:31:57

Youvecat air you breathe in is 21% oxygen and virtually no carbon dioxide, most of the rest is nitrogen. You don't actually use up all the oxygen in every breath, though some of it is swapped for carbon dioxide so the air you breath out is ~16% oxygen, 5% carbon dioxide (your body doesn't use nitrogen so that stays about the same, and a bit of water vapour is also added).

So by doing mouth to mouth for someone, whether underwater or on land, you can still get a small amount of oxygen into them. It's not as good as them breathing air for themselves, but it's better than nothing.

SummerSevern Sat 18-Jan-14 15:43:59

Can I make banana nesquik with aptimil? (Out of milk.)

SockQueen Sat 18-Jan-14 15:44:58

It's actually very sensible that we don't use up all the oxygen during normal breathing - means that there is more "in reserve" so we can increase our oxygen uptake significantly during exercise/other times of physiological demand.

I dont see why not summer grin

IamGrimalkin Sat 18-Jan-14 16:01:44

Why is a tampon called a tampon and not a tampin?

AnyFucker Sat 18-Jan-14 16:11:06

This could turn into a hilarious thread grin

learnasyougo Sat 18-Jan-14 16:16:19

tampon was actually named after someone...er, called Tampon. A Frenchman.

my question is, since west Berlin was entirely within East Germany, how did they get western goods supplied to their shops?. And all the fuss (risking life and limb) to get over the Berlin wall into west Berlin...could east Germans not have headed towards the east/west border nearer to west Germany? it surely would not have been so heavily patrolled and armed as the walled bit in the city.

TiggyOBE Sat 18-Jan-14 16:16:53

Brilliant! Just the type of thread I was hoping to come across for a particular question I want to ask.

On a clock, which is the big hand and which is the little hand?

'Cos it depends if you mean width or length. Is short and fat 'big', or is long and thin 'big'?

Thank you in advance.

Daddyofone Sat 18-Jan-14 16:28:11

"Why can't men see crumbs?"

A number of reasons for this one.

Firstly we can see crumbs but a number of things can happen.

A) we see crumbs, but are just about to do VERY important things and can't be doing with crumbs ATM.

B) oh , crumbs, I'll wait till there are more, making it more energy efficient when finally cleaning them up.

C) if I ignore them they will magically disappear just like when I lived with mum !

D) meh. They'll break down eventually, let nature take its course.

< tongue in cheek. I clean up all my crumbs..... eventually >

Tiggy, although width is obviously just as important, in regards to clocks it is length you're looking for. wink

WallyBantersJunkBox Sat 18-Jan-14 16:39:08

How are you identified by your dental records?

(I almost NC for this, I feel so thick)

<<brazens>>

WallyBantersJunkBox Sat 18-Jan-14 16:44:52

learnasyougo you had to produce a passport or documentation to prove that you were from West Berlin, I think it was agreed as part of the Potsdam agreement.

Hard to grasp though, as these days communism is a distant experience e.g. N. Korea.

I remember going to the USSR when I was 13 and there were so many checkpoints, documents etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now